Chum in Saanich inlet.

Ldub

Does anyone go out for chum in the Saanich inlet this time of year? Any success? From what I read on the regs, chum and coho are open.

T I A

It's been tried many many times... Nobody has cracked the code.

Some have reported success with sockeye gear or black hootchies.

F*cking frustring seeing them jump everywhere but no bites.

Hmmm. Crazy! I might have to give it a try! Seems doable with 1000’s of chum returning to Goldstream! I caught a large chrome chum in the summer in Sooke. I just smoked it the other day and it’s delicious! I’d like to try more!

You can catch them in Sooke on Coho gear off shore at typical depth going slower than you typically would for Coho while still also catching Coho. But once they are staging and fining on the surface by the hundreds or thousands at the mouth of the inlet, they are a ***** to get to bite. I assume it is the same in Sannich Inlet.

I have a memory of stories, probably from my dad and grandpa who lived there, of grey/black buzz bombs in front of the Chemainus River (in the 70's) being a thing for staging chums. It could be a **** them off type bite (or, cynically, a snagging type bite).

You can catch them in Sooke on Coho gear off shore at typical depth going slower than you typically would for Coho while still also catching Coho. But once they are staging and fining on the surface by the hundreds or thousands at the mouth of the inlet, they are a ***** to get to bite. I assume it is the same in Sannich Inlet.

pretty much the same story off the mouth of the fraser when they are out their by the hundreds of thousands. The early ones that show up in the beginning of september you can luck into but by the time they are here in huge numbers in october they don't bite. The odd year i've seen some pictures of guides get a few for their clients but it is far from the norm.

Back