Trolling Motor vs Running on Main Engines?

Another consideration (at least with 4 strokes) would be maintenance.

Even DIY, oil and gear oil changes on a 9.9 are a lot cheaper than on a bigger motor - way less oil etc, no overpriced filter, not to mention a quicker job etc. Not a huge part of the $$ considerations, but it all ads up. Depending on if you use cheap oils or brand spec, and depending on how many hours a season, could save $100+/yr right there alone. Maybe more if you are running enough hours. Save a bit on maintenance, save a bit on gas usage, save on fewer hours on mains reducing life and value, etc.

If you can either afford to just run the mains all the time, or simply prefer it, or whatever, awesome, but for me personally, saving every penny wherever possible is important. The upfront cost of the kicker will more than pay for itself and eventually start saving me money in the long run. :)

Per horsepower, the 9.9/15 hp class are the most expensive outboards on the market. How does that fit into the calculations?

Not when you calculate the number of hours you can run them before they wear out...mine had over 7000 hours on it and paid $3500 for it. That is 50 cents an hour. If you pay $30,000 for a 300 hp and get 3000 hrs out of it that is $10 an hour.

Not sure why that makes a difference.
Not when you calculate the number of hours you can run them before they wear out...mine had over 7000 hours on it and paid $3500 for it. That is 50 cents an hour. If you pay $30,000 for a 300 hp and get 3000 hrs out of it that is $10 an hour.
I'm quite certain he was just stirring the pot.

At the end of each season, i find i use my kicker 5 times the hours i do on my main, so i concur with Profisher, except 3000 hours might be pretty optimistic.

I think a key consideration is "how far from port you travel to fish grounds and are willing to rely on your kicker to get home?" If you dont go far, 1 reliable main and one small kicker is my bet. But if you fish say 20 miles from port and oops, your main is down.... do you really want to rely on your 8 hp or 9.9 hp to get you home at 3-4 miles an hour, or slower if big current? For many, that is the primary reason many like big twins, so they have a viable get home. Having big twins makes it easier to manage as there is no lifting of the kicker up and down, better trolling a main when current strong, better tracking while boat mains are running on plane. Downside is who wants the maintenance of 2 big main engines, particularly when the hours get up there, and carbon buildup, VST tanks, thermostats, internal engine zinks, etc., all of which make boating/fishing less fun:(

If you fish far from port and want to use a 1 big main, plus a kicker that qualifies as a viable get home, there are now options in the new Yamaha 25 hp high thrust that came out last year, which i bit the bullet on and found if pushes my heavy 24' boat approx. 9 mph. No, it doesnt get me on plane, but a heck of alot faster than my old T8. It pure like a sewing machine just like the T8 and T9.9's when at trolling speed, plus has big alternator as well.

Anyway, that is my perspective . DAJ

If you fish far from port and want to use a 1 big main, plus a kicker that qualifies as a viable get home, there are now options in the new Yamaha 25 hp high thrust that came out last year, which i bit the bullet on and found if pushes my heavy 24' boat approx. 9 mph
Even with a liberal waterline length of your boat of 22ft. hull speed calculator says you are going 7.3 mph (statute miles). Perhaps you are measuring speed via GPS & had some help with currents.
I agree with everyone but choose twins because it all-around works better for me.

I just picked up a used boat with twin DF200 Suzukis. The first thing I did was add a 9.9 Suzuki kicker.
The Seller said....Dude, why did you do that? Just troll off the mains like I did.

Dude, I responded. I fish cut'plug herring.

'nuff said.

I just picked up a used boat with twin DF200 Suzukis. The first thing I did was add a 9.9 Suzuki kicker.
The Seller said....Dude, why did you do that? Just troll off the mains like I did.

Dude, I responded. I fish cut'plug herring.

'nuff said.
please explain

Sharphooks probably can't fish slow enough on a 200 main I'm guessing...

My new boat will have twins, no kicker. Its not all about saving money, otherwise I'd just not have a boat and buy my fish at the fish monger... much cheaper.

Trolling on a main is quiet, and you have excellent control over the boat as compared to a kicker which is usually mounted well to one side on the transom.

Sharphooks probably can't fish slow enough on a 200 main I'm guessing...

My new boat will have twins, no kicker. Its not all about saving money, otherwise I'd just not have a boat and buy my fish at the fish monger... much cheaper.

Trolling on a main is quiet, and you have excellent control over the boat as compared to a kicker which is usually mounted well to one side on the transom.
Most of my Tyee have been caught on cut plug, trolling with the big motor.

There is no right answer. Just the best answer for the individual and the individual hull. Sadly there is also enough money involved that people will defend their choice because to accept the opposite point of view has merit is to admit making the wrong decision.
IMO a 300 and kicker is equal to twin 150s except when it is slightly better or slightly inferior.

I was on a guide boat this summer with 3500 hrs on each of a pair of twin 200 Suzukis. I would expect more than 1000 hrs.
Just repowered a whaler conquest. Went from Mercaha 225's which died due to corrosion waaaaaay to early, to Suzuki DF 300s.

So far love them, but am concerned about trolling speed. Trolled fine on the 225's could get 1.5 - 2.0 KTS reliably. On the new motors it seems like 2.7 - 3.0 KTS and I suspect that might be half a knot too much. Currently running a 20" pitch prop, and pondering an 18.5", but doubt that will make a dent.

Any advice welcome.

Back