TransportCanada

Want to see a **** show regarding guiding? Head to Tahsis and Esperanza.
Americans are all over the place 'with their friends' that just happen to show up at regular intervals.
The cops have NO interest in busting these operations. As well, a lot of the 'locals' are deficient in adhering to some of the regulations.
It's has rarely ever been a an issue for the guides...

I think this is happening everywhere but it can only be a basic observation because there is ZERO enforcement and No statistics to follow.

Want to see a **** show regarding guiding? Head to Tahsis and Esperanza.
Americans are all over the place 'with their friends' that just happen to show up at regular intervals.
The cops have NO interest in busting these operations. As well, a lot of the 'locals' are deficient in adhering to some of the regulations.
It's has rarely ever been a an issue for the guides...
We had that problem in Tofino for a while in the late 90's/early 2000's but once we got CBSA involved it they were run out of town. Mind you, that agency has a lot on it's plate these days with Covid19 and mass influx of illegal immigrants.

Not sure why the small commercial boat inspections aren’t done like commercial vehicles. Every year you take it to shop and they go through it and either tell you what problems tbey found and need fixing or pass it for another year. They put the decal on when it complies and passes.

My boat was inspected by Transport Canada twice in Tofino. The first time I didn’t have a copy of my registration and was given a warning with an order to fax it to the officer, the 2nd I had previously completed the blue decal program. They still did their inspection but everything was the way it should be

My boat was inspected by Transport Canada twice in Tofino. The first time I didn’t have a copy of my registration and was given a warning with an order to fax it to the officer, the 2nd I had previously completed the blue decal program. They still did their inspection but everything was the way it should be

What was the time frame from the day you made your appointment to the time they actually inspected your boat? Thanks.

What was the time frame from the day you made your appointment to the time they actually inspected your boat? Thanks.
No appointment. They were doing a blitz for a few days each time and checked every boat they could with extra attention to fishing charter, water taxis and whale watching boats.

Nice. Thanks for the info. I’m kind of stumped though? Got my SVOP, MED-A3 and ROC-M. I’ve applied for my C number and am working on the voluntary small vessel compliance forms. Last thing they’re saying I need is a Transport Canada inspection. Having some issues nailing down where to get that done. I’m In the interior for 6 months of the year and there’s no facility within about 80 miles and that one is telling me there’s no one there that can do it. Do I just carry on until I’m stopped on the water? That seems kind of risky to me. Or is there something I’m missing?

Nice. Thanks for the info. I’m kind of stumped though? Got my SVOP, MED-A3 and ROC-M. I’ve applied for my C number and am working on the voluntary small vessel compliance forms. Last thing they’re saying I need is a Transport Canada inspection. Having some issues nailing down where to get that done. I’m In the interior for 6 months of the year and there’s no facility within about 80 miles and that one is telling me there’s no one there that can do it. Do I just carry on until I’m stopped on the water? That seems kind of risky to me. Or is there something I’m missing?

take screen shots and info you are receiving about the lack of an inspector, book one for the spring when you are on your way.

Or is there something I’m missing?
your not guiding you said and the blue decal is VOLUNTARY if your guiding . why bother its not required as long as you have your safety gear in check up to dat first aid kit and flares ,, your good to go

That’s right. Too much BS to guide on freshwater. I do plan on using my boat for tours on the lake though and I need my c number and TC inspection for that. And then there’s be the occasional trip to the coast for our own freezer filling expeditions. No guiding there either, lol. But if I take my son in-laws band out or my sisters husband and his bowling team, I want to be sure there’s absolutely no chance I’ll be ticketed. Especially as I’ll be making them pay for gas and I’d be the guy running the downriggers and they’d be using my equipment. Guiding? Not really. Maybe In the eyes of some and I’ve read on this very site some people’s thoughts on under the table guides lol and I’m just not willing to take that chance. Besides, I don’t think you can ever be prepared enough so having the inspection done is just another good safety practice.

I really dont think taking your buddies and bowling team and chipping in expenses is under that really EVERYONE does that with there family and friends.
Another route ya may want to go is get a marine survey done as the guy doing it will and should KNOW all you need for DOT ie a gulper manuals pump the fire access hole he will tell you what you will need and attention, ill be honest slapping a decal on your boat will bring some unwanted attention. TC does not do inspections any more its all Voluntary they will check safety,flares,first aid , etc and see if you have done your ACR but thats about it, Thye used to come and do everything way back in the day stability test out of water and in water test ...thats WAY long gone now

Back