Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

I’m not sure how to add a link but has anyone else watched the vids for the new electric Harley. Looks pretty cool....

Hummer EV looks cool but nothing revolutionary, if anything most of what it claims as leading edge and first timer has been covered in other EV trucks already.

For example 300 mile range is nothing by today’s ev standards....and the extract mode, cyber truck has this already, just under a different name. I’ll give them the crab walk though. That is pretty cool. And I liked the underbody cameras. That’s a “Why don’t we have these now” moment.

Nice to see another truck contender though and to see GM getting serious about EVs.

I just hope costs come down enough so I can get one!

Last edited:
Range is one issue, greater range means more weight in batteries. Faster charging can alleviate that issue to a degree.
Hummer is claiming 160km charge in team minutes, that's interesting.

Loaded up 3500 Denali's and such are touching the $100K mark MSRP.....something different like this will sell.

Will be interesting to see if the same vehicle configurations will hit Canada.

More than likely in Canada this will be sitting close to 120 - 130 for an over blown SUV. Definitely a niche market. 350 mile range more than likely just off of idling certainly not using much of the torque and hp available. To compare the price to a 3500 Denali doesn’t work as anyone buying a 3500 Denali is buying it to tow or pack something and can pull a house around if they so choose. Stopping to fuel up for 10 min every 1000 km. The new Hummer although it does have the power available would probly make it around the block using that power and then need a recharge. Like mentioned not a lot new here it’s just in a new package a very expensive new package. But manufacturers have to get in on the game and the government money available to them for these projects, it’s free money. The business model doesn’t work just look at Tesla they would be long broke if not for government hand outs. GM will not make money off of these but it doesn’t have to, just has to save face and get in on the cash.

https://driving.ca/tesla/features/f...n=on_network_boosting&utm_content=Drivingflex

Last edited:
That's the big problem.
Cost/Sticker shock.
I will keep dumping a few thousand every year into my 2005 crewcab 2500 chev duramax, since anything else that can tow my boat is north of $75,000.00
My local shops know the truck and love my regular visits.
The LB7 engine is a beast and no additives. Yes, the injectors were done, in 2005, no hiccups since.
$1,500.00 gets you a great stereo upgarade with phone connex these days. Like really good.

I guess I am just like @profisher with his ancient two stroke main. Ha!

That's the big problem.
Cost/Sticker shock.
I will keep dumping a few thousand every year into my 2005 crewcab 2500 chev duramax, since anything else that can tow my boat is north of $75,000.00
My local shops know the truck and love my regular visits.
The LB7 engine is a beast and no additives. Yes, the injectors were done, in 2005, no hiccups since.
$1,500.00 gets you a great stereo upgarade with phone connex these days. Like really good.

I guess I am just like @profisher with his ancient two stroke main. Ha!
if you were like profisher you would have a 6.5 turbo diesel. lol

Oh I had one of those.
Replaced the injector pump in the back alley in Calgary in -20.
Also did work on one that was marinized by Peninsula Diesel, marketed as "the Beast".

Before that I learned to drive on a 6.1 chev diesel 3500 manual.
Hated driving the Slug in summer Vancouver traffic jams.

You're right, at least I am in this millennium with the LB7!

Oh I had one of those.
Replaced the injector pump in the back alley in Calgary in -20.
Also did work on one that was marinized by Peninsula Diesel, marketed as "the Beast".

Before that I learned to drive on a 6.1 chev diesel 3500 manual.
Hated driving the Slug in summer Vancouver traffic jams.

You're right, at least I am in this millennium with the LB7!
might have been a 6.2 diesel lol, drove alot of miles in one of those

While I get the price (likely north of $130k here in Canada) reflects the fact it will sport pretty much every piece of cutting edge tech GM has, Will folks actually pay for tech they don’t need/use when there’ll be other, cheaper options available for the various truck niches (ie hauling, off-roading, desert running, etc)?

While the off-road tech looks amazing, this thing is a beast and is nearly 87-inches wide, wider than the Ford Raptor! Whose going to drop 130k and then pinstripe (or worse at that width) the **** out of it going off-road anywhere but in the open desert? The Rivian R1T is 8-inches slimmer, has comparable off-road tech and capability and is approx $50k cheaper.

Regardless, cool to see the rapid advance of EV tech and can’t wait for the first gens to see real world testing.

Cheers!

Ukee

It’s not that off base when you compare the markup of EVs vs There carbon producing counterparts in their class.

The sad part for me is the wife and I had planned to buy an EV in the next few years but it's more like 5 to 10 years away for us now with how much we dipped into our savings do to covid. Our diesel golf has low milage that we planned to replaced but not gonna happen now.

Its also increasingly likely that i doubt will see big government incentives towards EV with the amount they have dolled out in this pandemic.

Its really encouraging to see the tech coming along tho

I am also waiting to see what kind of used EV market develops as currently is basically non existent.

You need to remember supply and demand.

The demand is there, the supply isn't at this time, maybe 2023 for Canada.

I now have two wanted by clients and the news basically went out more yesterday.

Many here don't and won't like these....don't blame them, but us outdoor people are such a small percentage that we don't matter. Work trucks will always be made so you can have a plain Jane to haul your boat or $75K trailer/fifth wheel.....:p

It’s not that off base when you compare the markup of EVs vs There carbon producing counterparts in their class.

The sad part for me is the wife and I had planned to buy an EV in the next few years but it's more like 5 to 10 years away for us now with how much we dipped into our savings do to covid. Our diesel golf has low milage that we planned to replaced but not gonna happen now.

Its also increasingly likely that i doubt will see big government incentives towards EV with the amount they have dolled out in this pandemic.

Its really encouraging to see the tech coming along tho

I am also waiting to see what kind of used EV market develops as currently is basically non existent.

The EV market was/is hot on the "lower end" vehicle, still around $8K rebates less tax. Once you get up into "luxury" tax, above $55K all rebates outside of manufacturer are gone. There is still money with the Fed's and Provincial, but we always keep an eye on it as it can dry up real fast!

On the topic of the Rivian, I've been watching "Long Way Up" on Apple TV+. It's the latest motorcycle adventure with Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman. Really enjoying it so far. This time they are riding a couple of electric Harleys from Patagonia to LA. The support vehicles include a couple of (very) pre-prod Rivians. One of the challenges they immediately face is the unseasonably cold weather at the start and the impact on range and charge time of the bikes and trucks. The bikes are amazing and look awesome. Rivians on the other hand are pretty rough.

https://tv.apple.com/ca/show/long-w...nsubkw=long way up&mttnsubpid=g&mttnsubplmnt=

Breaking News:
Hummer sold out within hours of launch. - No numbers as of yet. :eek:
Day 4533 of the "Tesla Inc Death Watch." - Any day now. :rolleyes:

Back