Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

There is a misconception with charging stations and rightly so. With gas cars we drive until the gas tank is near empty before filling up. And the only option to fill up is a gas station. With EVs, you plug in every night at your residence thus your “tank” or range is full every morning. Unless your traveling beyond the range of your vehicle, you won’t ever need a charging station. Most EVs have a range of at least 300km with many having 4-500+km ranges. Moreover, charging stations will soon be fee based. And that fee will go up significantly when the charge is done to entice a driver to move the vehicle. And of course not all charging stations are equal. The Tesla super chargers in Hope for example will do a full charge in under 20 min. It’s those stations that would be of concern. This is one of the reasons why I like the Cybertruck. It’s tunnel cover is solar paneled for self charging.

Yikes. Tesla stocks are crazy. I sold some when it was at around $200.

Attachments

• C1E00B93-FFB5-43F4-B2AE-2B85D1D5777B.png
    C1E00B93-FFB5-43F4-B2AE-2B85D1D5777B.png
    387.6 KB · Views: 37

Warren Buffett Has Started The Biggest Energy Revolution

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephe...d-the-biggest-energy-revolution/#2b14d15d4494

Now Solar Power Is Cheaper Than Fossil Fuels

Quietly, solar power has improved leaps and bounds since then. Today, solar panels sell at a fraction of what they cost back in the day. They’ve also grown ten-times more efficient.

In all, the price of solar energy has cratered by 84% since 2010, according to BloombergNEF. And for the first time in history, solar energy is cheaper than fossil fuel energy, as you can see below:

960x0.jpg

Average Cost of Energy in North America

RISKHEDGE
In most parts of the world today, solar is the cheapest source of new power generation. So why hasn’t the world switched the plug to solar just yet?

Cheap Solar Power Is Not Enough

While solar is one of the cheapest and cleanest sources of energy, it has one big flaw. It depends on sunshine.

A solar farm can’t produce enough electricity when it’s cloudy or dark. It needs efficient battery storage, which presents another problem.

Not so long ago, you would have forked over $200 per megawatt-hour of electricity just to store solar power, according to MIT. That doesn’t even include the cost of generating the electricity.

For perspective, that’s almost 3X the price of power from natural gas.

MIT researchers estimated battery costs must sink to $20 per megawatt hour if we ever want to switch 100% to solar power. That’s a 90% reduction from last year’s prices.

Scientists expected this to happen sometime towards 2030. But it looks like Warren Buffett beat their forecast by 10 years.

Lordstown Motors and the Endurance pickup truck.
Another truck getting ready to start production but this one has a unique design of hub motors. I'm not a fan of hub motors but I'll wait and see how they pull this off first before judging it.

https://lordstownmotors.com/

Interesting idea but they need to hide those wires both on the truck and the bike. The truck so the wires don’t get ripped off during use and the bike more for looks. Very cool looking bike otherwise.

I love how all these electric vehicles companies all say they will be the first one to put a pickup truck out, yet none have. Sorry small pet peeve of mine. Just shut up and do it already! :D

What's your concern with hub motors?
I was getting quite excited about this:
https://electrek.co/2019/08/10/rmk-e2-hubless-motor-electric-motorcycle-progress/

Nice bike, thanks for the link.
I'm not a fan of hub motors on autos because of the weight that has to move when the suspension cycles. I suppose that you can over engineer the suspension to counter all the extra mass but at some point wear will come into play and parts will need to be changed. I also don't like having the motors in the rain/snow as corrosion may become a problem. Potholes might be hard on them and changing one out will be more expensive than replacing a rim/tire if damaged.

Nice bike, thanks for the link.
I'm not a fan of hub motors on autos because of the weight that has to move when the suspension cycles. I suppose that you can over engineer the suspension to counter all the extra mass but at some point wear will come into play and parts will need to be changed. I also don't like having the motors in the rain/snow as corrosion may become a problem. Potholes might be hard on them and changing one out will be more expensive than replacing a rim/tire if damaged.

Well reasoned, thanks!

March 2020 state of the Electric Pickups.

If anyone is curious as to what GM is up to they had an EV Day for investors that explains their strategy going forward. It's 1 hour and 10 minutes but worth the time. I found their battery roadmap to be the most interesting part and if things go according to plan they will be a force in the marketplace and we will see some nice products including trucks.

https://investor.gm.com/events/event-details/general-motors-ev-day

Not interested in a long video? You can read some here at this link
https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2020/mar/0304-ev.html

Here is a summary of the GM event on Youtube.

It seems that GMC is bringing it's A game to the party. Dang... going out and getting a lotto ticket so I can get a fleet of brands. :rolleyes:

Wow. Didn't mention tow capacity, but wow.
Did it really say 100 mile charge in ten minutes? That's what will make this a no brainier.

Back