Scotty Giveaway

Admin

Admin
Staff member
scotty-newlogo.png

Our good friends at Scotty have developed a new rod holder, The R-5, with multiple applications and are offering you a chance to win one! The contest will be open to all SFBC members to enter in a draw for one of the rod holders while a second one will be exclusively drawn for SFBC Crew Members. To enter the draw, simply send a Private Message to @Admin with Scotty Contest as the title and you will be entered to win! Contest closes at midnight October 16, 2020. Good Luck!

R-5 ROD HOLDER

Universal Rod Holder without mount

• The R-5 Rod Holder has been designed to securely hold your Spincaster, Spinning, Bait Caster, Level Wind and Fly Rods.
  • The ¼” stainless steel lock bar pivots open to allow a quick effortless release of your rod.
  • Easy adjustable lock bar tension.
Scotty R5.jpg

Scotty R5-1.jpg

Yup they’ll go good on my walleye boat holding my light spinning gear. They look very similar to the Berkley ( I think it is ) design which I ran quite a few years back they work well.

Thanks guys.

I have a bit of a "fisherman always stretch the truth" story around these rod holders...but honest, mine is true! I was fortunate enough, along with a couple other friends, to be asked to test a very early and rudimentary prototype of these holders. I headed out on a local lake one summer evening with my son and a buddy in my 14 ft tinny. We were running two lines off the side of the boat with Scotty lake riggers down about 25 feet and I was dragging a full sink fly line about 50 feet straight out the back near the surface. All was working well until we had a very hard, pop the clip hit off one of the downriggers. The fish immediately started screaming line and of course ran under the fly line I had out the back and came about 3 feet out of the water. So I am trying to steer the boat to get the fish more out to the side, my buddy fighting the fish backs the drag off an older and not very high end fly reel with mono on it, while I try and get my fly rod out of the prototype rod holder and clear the line. Problem was, I didn't have any familiarity with using the new holder so I didn't react quick enough, my buddy backed the drag off too much and this fish was determined to run and jump and wrap itself around the fly line. The third jump proved to be the last as my buddy palmed the reel a little too aggressively and that was the last we saw of it! Will never know how big it was, but definitely the biggest Rainbow I have ever hooked into on any of the local lakes!
The finished product on these rod holders are great and their versatility will be appreciated by the fresh water fisherman, but I will always remember my first time using the prototype, and the "one that got away!"

Brian

Has anyone tried this for mooching rods and hali rods? Curious to see if this is an improved design over the orca's.

Has anyone tried this for mooching rods and hali rods? Curious to see if this is an improved design over the orca's.

I guess it depends on how heavy built they are. For some reason I have them pictured in my head as being quite light like the Berkley holders of the same style but on reading the post on them it says 1/4” steel which would make them much heavier than the Berkley holder. I guess we will see when they arrive how heavy gauge they are.

When are they going to be in stores so I can get a couple?

I asked the question with Scotty and here is the reply.

The R-5 is being assembled now so should be available in stores this weekend or next week for sure.

@walleyes post is on point. These are designed for lighter use gear and here is the quote directly from Craig at Scotty.

"I do not recommend this rod holder for salmon fishing and especially not for halibut."

I want them for fly rods and trolling with light spinning gear. They look similar but also look better built than the Berkley model.

Once again a good solid Canadian company delivers beyond what they said they would. A few extras thrown in the kitty by Scotty.

Well done Gentlemen, thank you.

50645545178_08b9785d50_b.jpg

I received an identical package to walleyes. I am searching for a suitable backing plate so I can mount my R-5 on my Kayak.
Thanks to everyone involved with putting on this contest.

Back