White Spring Recipe

carpeweekend

Crew Member
I know that there are mixed thoughts on White Springs as table fare but I challenge anyone to prepare a White Spring fillet with this recipe and not be impressed. I stole the recipe from a the Globe and Mail of all sources. A few odd ingredients but a pretty simple recipe. I have made it a few times to rave reviews.
Recipe: Ivory Salmon with Chanterelle Mushrooms

Pino Posteraro, Cioppino's Mediterranean Grill

Ivory salmon is a very rich fish with thick connective tissue. It can stand up to the earthiness of mushrooms. And the chanterelle mushrooms from Saskatchewan are unbelievable at this time of year. This unilateral cooking method (from the bottom up, without flipping), gives you a very flaky, moist fish. Because it's so oily – with good omega-3s – it needs a little acidity. That's why I add spicy piri piri sauce, which is mainly lemon juice. If you can't find piri piri sauce, use a bit of cabernet verjus and white balsamic to make it a little rounder. Pour yourself a nice glass of pinot noir and you are set for the night.

Ingredients

2 fillets of ivory (white spring) salmon with skin (3 oz/85 g each)

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (more for drizzling)

1 tsp butter

3 tbsp chanterelle mushrooms

4 – 5 g green onions (sliced)

6 sun gold tomatoes (cut in half)

20 ml white wine

60 ml vegetable stock

1 tbsp piri piri sauce

Method

Preheat oven to 500 F.

Season fillets with salt and pepper.

Heat a large non-stick (oven-safe) skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, swirl to coat the pan and warm for 3 to 5 minutes.

Remove pan from heat and place salmon pieces skin side down. Do not flip the salmon.

Place the pan with the salmon in the top part of the oven for 6 to 8 minutes.

After 6 to 8 minutes, turn the oven to high broil and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.

Remove from oven and place the salmon on a plate.

In the same pan, place butter, mushrooms, tomatoes and green onions. Season lightly with salt.

Place the pan on the stovetop and cook over medium-high heat until the mushrooms are tender.

Remove from heat. Deglaze with white wine, vegetable stock and piri piri.

Spoon the mushroom mixture and sauce over the salmon.

Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over the fish and serve with fresh seasonal green vegetables.

Back