Its going to get more heated on the water back East..

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this the "proud boys forum"? Some of these posts are beyond ignorant. Sad really.

What's ignorant is the common disregard for the livelihood of everyone! whether your FSN or Not why should it be any different just because of what happened 100's of years ago? We have evolved well past those times and moved forward, but get constantly dragged back because of this kind of crap. Everyone just bends over and takes it and now they wonder why people are pissed off, maybe its because we shouldn't have to deal with this in the day and age we are in! Government should give their heads a shake and adapt, and allow for equal access to the resource or if its in DIRE straights shut it down completely and not just to a specific group of people.

If believing there should be but 1 law, equal rights for any and all citizens of this great country that is called Canada, no mater the color of your skin,what country of origin you are from, or what sexual, political, or religious preferences you might have is racists, then I guess I'm a racists.

Respecting treaties is part of the "Honour of the Crown". I was raised fairly religiously and right-wing (believe it or not) where honesty and commitment and giving your word was paramount. I want the same for my government which is supposed to represent me irrespective of what politician claims to be PM or what party claims to be in power.

This is a complex issue that needs some understanding of the issues. Those last few news articles on 20 years ago the Supreme Court ruled on Mi’kmaq fishing rights, so what has changed? and Lobster fishery at a crossroads were to me balanced and informative. I would recommend reading them before making judgements on picking any side on this debate.

I agree and can relate to compensation and making things right for past wrongs... but why are we , our kids, their kids and generations to come paying for these past mistakes to those FN who are many generations removed from these past events? What we are doing is a form of racism and discrimination against everyone else who isn't born from parents of a specific background. How can a crime which occurred long ago have a sentence on every generation now and those who are yet to even be born? Seems very crazy to me...reminds me of dictatorships where when a parent goes against the state their children and children's children get punished or executed for the 1 person's offense.

The politicians these days can’t even finish a sentence without acknowledging the First Nations people. I sat in on a meeting at the local regional district. The first sentence from the chair was acknowledging that we are on traditional territory of whichever local band and then followed by saying we should not only acknowledge but we all should appreciate this fact. I’m pretty sure I can decide for myself what I do and do not appreciate in this world. The path we are on is overkill in my opinion. The FN people can be helped and reconciled without all this other virtue signalling ********. As for back east, I’m not surprised one bit. You can’t allow people to decide for themselves what a moderate living is. I’m not sure about you guys but anytime I’ve ever had a great year at work it’s never enough. Next year I want more and so on. This will be no different . Hopefully this is just the start of people pushing back.

Respecting treaties is part of the "Honour of the Crown". I was raised fairly religiously and right-wing (believe it or not) where honesty and commitment and giving your word was paramount. I want the same for my government which is supposed to represent me irrespective of what politician claims to be PM or what party claims to be in power.

its important to honor the treaties after all its our land now thanks to them and they get a few scraps of fish ever once in a while lol

What everyone can agree upon, no matter which interest group is that DFO is useless and they need to go. Startup a new federal department where national policies are structured around a framework with provincial and regional authorities to make specific adjustments amd changes according to what the people want.

What's ignorant is the common disregard for the livelihood of everyone! whether your FSN or Not why should it be any different just because of what happened 100's of years ago? We have evolved well past those times and moved forward, but get constantly dragged back because of this kind of crap. Everyone just bends over and takes it and now they wonder why people are pissed off, maybe its because we shouldn't have to deal with this in the day and age we are in! Government should give their heads a shake and adapt, and allow for equal access to the resource or if its in DIRE straights shut it down completely and not just to a specific group of people.
I don’t disagree with you that it sucks when people’s livelihoods are affected. However, the ongoing issues with FN aren’t just something that happened hundreds of years ago. It’s very much still here today and isn’t going to go away just because some people want it to. Look around to see what happens when racism isn’t dealt with, it comes back to bite you in the butt. I had this conversation with some young people over the past weekend, they expressed frustration that previous generations hadn’t worked harder to acknowledge these issues and work towards resolving them and I agree.

Why inevitable? Because as research all over the world, including some conducted by my colleagues at the University of BC, Hong Kong and by me has repeatedly recorded: when an identifiable minority, often ethnic, is repeatedly awarded special status, privilege or even just preference by government and the courts to compensate for past injustices, it creates resentment and psychic tension. When the tensions reach breaking point, sometimes over an unrelated issue, the result is violence toward those minority groups seen as privileged. Accompanying that violence is a growing hatred where none existed before, a psychological phenomenon justifying the violence in the minds of the perpetrators as they witness themselves committing acts they would never before have contemplated.

This thread is pretty much done. We have wandered off the topic where the "fishing" aspect was a stretch to begin with and now it is purely political. Said it many times, we are not a political forum, so when it heads away from anything remotely to do with fishing we are done. Don't need the aggravation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back