Fish Hook Extractor Tool

Baxter

Are these extractor tools any good?

I have never had any issues pulling hooks out with pliers, and really don't plan on changing that. But I see these ads everywhere for fish hook extractor tools and while they look like a waste of money, are they?

Anyone here use one? Are they actually easier than pliers?

If you’re using barbless hooks, which I presume you do, buy a gaff and that’s going to be your favourite multi-purpose tool. Land, unhook fish, bonk, retrieve downrigger clip, show love to your fishing buddies when they mess around with your gear.... the list is really endless

I use a gaff for most, but if you jig it can be difficult to remove a swallowed hook or treble with the gaff or pliers. @LIVELINES had a sweet homemade hook remover made from the end of a golf club and wood dowel with a piece of stiff thin metal rod bent to remove the hook.
I finally got around to copying it and just made my own.

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 113
I have one of these on my boat for years and I haven’t ever used it. Usually just use a gaff. Or it Seems like a standard pair of needle nose pliers is always closer by when I’m trying to get a hook out. But it will come in handy someday when a fish has a hook deep. That will likely happen as soon as I take it off the boat

Attachments

• 43F99FE9-D526-4839-8406-28A6C378057C.jpeg
    43F99FE9-D526-4839-8406-28A6C378057C.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 21
Years ago I was lucky enough to fish in Florida for King Mackerel, Barracuda and Cobia. All had very sharp teeth. We used a long handled SS hook extractor like the one in the picture. It would lock onto the hook when you squeezed the 2 handles together. I picked mine up down in the keys. I’m sure they are still available if you do an online search.
Stosh

Attachments

• D2672EF6-48DC-4033-8441-FD767C9FD0AF.png
    D2672EF6-48DC-4033-8441-FD767C9FD0AF.png
    756.9 KB · Views: 53
Use a gaff. If the hook is buried, use pliers. Dont waste your money on gimmicks that will only clutter up your boat!

As I said again gaffs does not work for everything. At end of day just like wire vs braid do what works for you. I find the one I posted very useful myself.

a lot simpler... this is used in many emergency rooms. take a 24" double wrap around the hook shank, leave lots of slack, hold down the eye of the hook and give the line a quick snap backwards and no more buried hook. works as well with barbed hooks! don't ask me how I know...

If a hook is deep in a fishes throat, I can't see how a gaff would be of use Cant exactly drive a gaff down its throat to the hook....??? Needle nose would be easier, And for visible hooks, needle nose are incredibly easy...

Back