DFO 2020 Halibut Fishery Announcement & Regs

That's good....as far as I know it is the Minister's decision not IPHC's no? I Might be wrong on that one.

I’d image it would be an IPHC decision if they want it to be in addition to the 2021 assigned Canadian tac. Otherwise as stated below the minister could just adjust our allocation of the 2021 tac.

“If the carryover constitutes a change in catch sharing allocations, this would be addressed domestically by the Contracting Party. IPHC mortality projections associated with adopted limits would be adjusted accordingly. If the rollover is to be addressed by an increase in overall fishing intensity in 2021, the IPHC would need to consider this during our Annual Meeting. Regardless of the methods used to achieve a carryover,”

Now the minister could do something like this but I doubt it would ever happen. If there is an increase in total tac in 2021. Since we did leave a bunch in the was in 2020 then we should get more then 15% of the increase but I doubt they would do something like that. So it’s easier just for them to go to the IPHC and beg for them to feel sorry for rec industry.

Last edited:
I can’t see next years fishing pressure being any different on the industry side. I really don’t see travel restrictions ending anytime soon. Even if they do, it will take some time for the clients to feel safe traveling. I’m sure we all remember 9/11 and the travel hangover from it. Americans simply stayed home where they felt safe.
Locals and fellow Canadians ( some of them won’t like travel either ) may fish a little more, but by the looks of things that will still leave a lot of TAC.

I would say that it is likely US guests will not be travelling across the border by next season. Early trials of Covid vaccine are not proceeding well, and infection rates are not under control to the south of us. If that indeed happens, the SFAB will amend the fishing plan accordingly - demand will be low, so it would make sense to look at increases to what we currently planned in the 2020 season for example.

The present focus is addressing a covid related carry-over, and also seeking ways we can plan with greater ability to have as flexible an approach to establishing regulations which must be defined (currently) within a Condition of License that has to be determined in February each year.

However, onto the topic of demand...if they do open the border, I also predict pent up demand will top out effort and interest. That would lead to a need to tighten up our approach to halibut regulations otherwise we would face an early closure.

I would say that it is likely US guests will not be travelling across the border by next season. Early trials of Covid vaccine are not proceeding well, and infection rates are not under control to the south of us. If that indeed happens, the SFAB will amend the fishing plan accordingly - demand will be low, so it would make sense to look at increases to what we currently planned in the 2020 season for example.

The present focus is addressing a covid related carry-over, and also seeking ways we can plan with greater ability to have as flexible an approach to establishing regulations which must be defined (currently) within a Condition of License that has to be determined in February each year.

However, onto the topic of demand...if they do open the border, I also predict pent up demand will top out effort and interest. That would lead to a need to tighten up our approach to halibut regulations otherwise we would face an early closure.

Shocker. We will tighten up everything because Sfab is consistently risk adverse ... paid off for us in the past eh ... (sarcasm and am not counting this year as no one could see that coming). You’d think learning from the past would come into play but....

Anyway moving on, I think poster before nailed it. Many still wouldn’t travel... had Canadians this year that wouldn’t due to covid even though allowed to ... same would be for US assuming it is even open. Most that do come to fish are older and not willing to take the risk

pretend we get about 1,000,000 lbs,

border not open: 1/2 any size on both for sure

border open: 1/1 any size (Models to 916,000 lbs) , or two under something like 95-100cm, whatever the number is that comes in around 940-950k. Aka hybrid model again

Last edited:

Agree!! Happy to read this is front and center. Either wording of condition of license needs to change or dfo takes it out so in season variance can be utilized.

Again, this year has shown pretty clearly just how much of the Canadian Public Fishery's TAC is exported by the guide/Lodge industry along with US do it yourselfers.. Yes I know domestic fishing tourism was down as well. That said, by the quoted statement above on the topic of open border, it is fair to state( yet again) that a significant amount of TAC is taken out of Canadian access to support this export. The result is the vast majority of Canadian license holders, (both local and traveling alike ) get heavily restricted to the point of ridiculousness some years. (40lb max is an example for one). There has to be a shift in thinking soon. Especially as each year we see more and more loss of access to more and more species for Canadians . Halibut alone the majority of 85% of Canadian TAC is exported. Now this year shows better the significance in the amount of the 15% recreational TAC that is exported as well.
There are other ways to facilitate both vested and non vested parts of rec. To present there has only been a very linear approach being explored.

I know this will not be popular among many of you . Too bad, as many outside this forum understand it is a discussion that needs to start developing. Up to now it has always been quickly muzzled as I am sure it will be again.

Searun: No disrespect or diminishing of your dedication is intended here. Just putting honest conversation on the table is all. In the end I acknowledge that I do little more than that to help so I will leave it there.

Last edited:
New numbers today say 440,000 lbs caught by public fishery this year...I HIGHLY doubt that is accurate, love to see those numbers and go over them! Call big time BS on that. Weird how it went up 46% from end of Aug to now...ya...lots of boats out there in Sept..... eyeroll

Regardless:

No border open: 1/2 No size limits

Border open: 1/1 No size or 1/2 both under 98cm (or whatever numbers say)...

These above measures I hope all will be making motions for at their upcoming SFAC meetings as know numbers allow for it!

Last edited:
New numbers today say 440,000 lbs caught by public fishery this year...I HIGHLY doubt that is accurate, love to see those numbers and go over them! Call big time BS on that. Weird how it went up 46% from end of Aug to now...ya...lots of boats out there in Sept..... eyeroll

yeah need the breakdown by area

Regardless:

No border open: 1/2 No size limits

Border open: 1/1 No size or 1/2 both under 98cm (or whatever numbers say)...

These above measures I hope all will be making motions for at their upcoming SFAC meetings as know numbers allow for it!

So that means I except a motion from u next week?

Fishery Notice
Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Groundfish Trawl
COMMERCIAL - Groundfish: Halibut
COMMERCIAL - Groundfish: Other Hook and Line
COMMERCIAL - Groundfish: Rockfish Hook and Line
COMMERCIAL - Groundfish: Sablefish
Subject:
FN1157-Extension of the Coastwide 2020 commercial Pacific Halibut Fishery season

As a result of COVID-19 market disruptions, the 2020 commercial Pacific Halibut fishery has been extended for the 2020 season only. The extended season closing date will now be 12:00 hours local time, December 7, 2020.

All Groundfish Hook and Line harvesters wishing to retain or land Halibut in the extended commercial Halibut season (past the original season closure date of 12:00 hours November 15, 2020) will be required to request an amendment to their conditions of licence prior to fishing in the extended season. Details on how to request amended conditions of licence and sector-specific instructions will be announced in a subsequent Fishery Notice.

Any groundfish Hook and Line harvesters that wish to retain and land Halibut after 12:00 hours November 15, 2020 (the original season closure), will be required to land in three designated port areas: Vancouver, Prince Rupert and Port Hardy.

Following the closure of the fishery at 12:00 hours December 7, 2020, all fish caught under the authority of a Halibut license eligibility, and where Halibut is retained under the authority of a Groundfish Hook and Line licence eligibility, must be landed and validated by a DFO-designated Groundfish dockside observer no later than 12:00 hours, December 14, 2020.

Please note that Variation Order 2020-586 is in effect.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:

Maureen Finn
Halibut Coordinator
Groundfish Management Unit
Email: Maureen.Finn@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Phone: (778) 835-5772

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN1157
Sent October 23, 2020 at 1343

Coastwide setline raw WPUE survey went up 25% this year (135 from 108.5, highest since 2008), and for area 2B (us) up 20% (101.6 from 85.83, assuming I did math right). Good sign for sure for biomass as well as next year's TAC we can hope.

Canada's proposal to IPHC on overage/underage provision for Rec fishery will be heard at 97th IPHC Conference in January 2021, per the Proposal advanced by Canada (DFO). I know it's easy to trash DFO for not supporting the rec fishery, but this is a situation where we should give credit where credit is due.

Some interesting discussions here regarding just changing Conditions of License (CoL). The reality is for a CoL to be legal, it must be issued to the fisher at time of licence purchase. There is no mechanism currently that allows DFO to amend a CoL because the laws around them require DFO to either personally deliver amendments to CoL to each lic holder or for the individual license holder to request an amendment. Not practical.

However, DFO does allow commercial harvesters to individually (each lic holder) request amendments. Pretty easy considering the few commercial license holders they would have making amendment requests. Harder to do with 300,000 rec fishers....but perhaps not impossible. An avenue being explored, but don't get your hopes up for anything soon...the wheels of change turn slowly.

Here's Canada's proposal for the overage/underage provision:

Contracting Parties

IPHC-2020-IM096-PropB1

Recreational (Sport) Fishing for Pacific Halibut—IPHC Regulatory Area 2B (Sect. 28) (DFO)

Proponent: DFO

To provide an overage/underage mechanism for recreational fisheries:

1. IPHC Regulatory Area 2B

4 RECREATIOANL FISHERY LIMIT ROLLOVER – IPHC REGULATORY AREA 2B 5. The Commission NOTED regulatory proposal IPHC-2020-SS08-PropA2 which outlined considerations relating to a future (2021) regulatory proposal from Canada to allow 10% of the Canadian (IPHC Regulatory Area 2B) recreational fishery limit, if uncaught, to be added to the recreational fishery limit in 2021. Specifically: “Recreational Pacific halibut fishery changes in response to COVID-19 for Area 2B: Recreational fisheries for Pacific halibut have experienced disruptions to fishing opportunities IPHC-2020-SS08-R Page 7 of 10 and markets, and are proposing sector-specific management responses for consideration by DFO and the International Pacific Halibut Commission (IPHC). The recreational fishery is seeking an underage carryover provision that would allow 10% of this year’s recreational TAC, if uncaught, to be added to the recreational TAC in 2021.” 6. The Commission NOTED and DEFERRED regulatory proposal IPHC-2020-SS08-PropA2 for further discussion at the 96th Session of the IPHC Interim Meeting (IM096; November 2020) and at the 97th Session of the IPHC Annual Meeting (AM097; in January 2021)

RECOMMENDATION/S That the Commission: 1) NOTE paper IPHC-2020-SS08-PropA2 which outlines considerations relating to a proposal from Canada to allow 10% of the Canadian (IPHC Regulatory Area 2B) recreational fishery limit, if uncaught, to be added to the recreational fishery limit in 2021. APPENDICES N

IPHC-2020-IM096-PropB1 Recreational (Sport) Fishing for Pacific Halibut— IPHC Regulatory Area 2B (Sect. 28) (Canada: DFO) Deferred to AM097 - January

So is the carryover also 10% for Commercial Fishers if they don’t Max out their catch?

All else being equal. ..what does an extra 10 percent actually mean?

Decision is in February so won't know what covid situation will be. So will the assumption be as if covid won't exist or .......??

Almost an impossible decision for dfo and sfab.

That being said will be good if granted.

Back