Minimum Radar For Heading Offshore

haha clearly this falls into the the fourm categories of answers of Higher is always better, More horse power is always needed, Don't bother buying vacuum packers that are not at least 3-5k. Always install at least 2 redundant systems (bilge pumps) and maybe even have a spare incase they both brake.

I have a 'brow' mounted old school furuno on our Canoe Cove and it shows large targets aft. The brow is pretty thin fiberglass, but it is also shooting through a large bench seat/fold down bed.

Nobody allowed outside when it is transmitting.

I say large targets, because when calm I can tune it up to pick up logs. Not too worried about logs that are behind me.

Anyone ever consider mounting their radar offset to one side? I'm thinking of my view from the bridge if it's mounted on the brow might be obstructed. Why not mount it out of the way?

Well I'd say I've got a blind spot. How much that'll matter while offshore is to be determined. 20210428_144457.jpg

Hard to tell what we looking at, but you should be able to adjust your heading a bit so your pointing parallel to your boat
Just sitting in my slip at the marina. You can see the lanes of water so it seems to be reading fine out front.

Just sitting in my slip at the marina. You can see the lanes of water so it seems to be reading fine out front.
Not to sure about lowrance units, but with mine I just use a the whistle buoy and point my boat at it, then adjust my heading then lock on, never perfect but close enough.from your pic it does look like something is blocking the one side, radar not mounted high enough

I would speculate (without seeing your boat set up closely) that the radar isn't mounted high enough to scan thru the boat structure. It seems to be mounted too low behind something on your boat that blocks the signal aft.

Could also be pointed forward and down to much. Looks like picking up stuff in the rear but quite farther back. Maybe to much wedge in it.

I would speculate (without seeing your boat set up closely) that the radar isn't mounted high enough to scan thru the boat structure. It seems to be mounted too low behind something on your boat that blocks the signal aft.
100%, mounted on the brow. I knew there was a chance it would happen. I just didn't want it overhead. The bulk of the structure is fiberglass so I was told that the radar could shoot through it. Problem is the height I set it at ended up being right where all the gauges are. I don't think it'll matter once I'm out moving and bouncing and shifting side to side while under way. I'm sure I'll pick up things at a distance??

Could also be pointed forward and down to much. Looks like picking up stuff in the rear but quite farther back. Maybe to much wedge in it.
It's pitched down 2 degrees because that's the difference when I'm up on plane.

Thanks for this thread. I am just about to mount my dome and point sensor. I am now leaning toward a metal arch for mine instead of mounting right to my hardtop. I don't want to fart around putting wedges etc on mine once it's all mounted. Be easier if it's on steel structure to do any adjustments etc.

Back