Bead/sand blasting cost?

TheNootkaRose

Has anyone had their aluminum boat sand blasted/bead blasted to remove old antifouling paint?
Have a 21ft boat and looking to get it done, probably in Richmond.
Have a place lined up already, just curious what guys have paid for blasting, epoxy primer, antifouling recently.
Thanks

Has anyone had their aluminum boat sand blasted/bead blasted to remove old antifouling paint?
Have a 21ft boat and looking to get it done, probably in Richmond.
Have a place lined up already, just curious what guys have paid for blasting, epoxy primer, antifouling recently.
Thanks
Are you using O.S. Airstrip? Gerry is great and really fair.

He did all my parts when I was restoring the 240z, did it all fast and easy. Is he tooled up to do services on hulls now? Its been a few years but that would be good if he was.
I’m Not sure if he is doing boats. He is all I think of for sandblasting in Richmond tho. Great dude. I somehow doubt it actually his booths are pretty small.

I’m Not sure if he is doing boats. He is all I think of for sandblasting in Richmond tho. Great dude. I somehow doubt it actually his booths are pretty small.

For sure, I have a heat shield i need stripped so I'm going to drop by and ask him sometime soon. His pics of Peru in the shop are sweet and he always was very accommodating when I needed stuff done. Great to work with.

I have a large, custom fabricated, walk on bushguard bumper that supports a large winch on the front of my heavy HD truck. Much of the flat black paint is now gone and there is surface rust on the heavy plate steel. I would like to repaint it and was going to power/and hand wire brush and grind it, wipe it down and then spray with rust primer and flat black rust paint. Some sweat equity but little cost and I suspect it would have to be done again in about 10 years.

So would the ice blast process do the job and get off the remaining paint and the surface rust? If so, any idea what it would cost/rough estimate? Is their someone on the south tip of Vancouver Island that could do it? Could they also paint it?
How would they mask out the body panels and winch from the metal to be blasted so as not to damage the body paint etc?

Last edited:
We tried ice blasting.....it was borderline completely uselesss. Not as useless as sponge blasting but close. Dry abrasive Media works.....whichever level of aggression and surface profile you desire dictates what media. The absolute coolest **** out there currently is laser. We purchased a 1000 and 250 watt p-laser machines and those babies are awesome. Not sure how mainstream they are yet but it's coming.

Last edited:
I have a large, custom fabricated, walk on bushguard bumper that supports a large winch on the front of my heavy HD truck. Much of the flat black paint is now gone and there is surface rust on the heavy plate steel. I would like to repaint it and was going to power/and hand wire brush and grind it, wipe it down and then spray with rust primer and flat black rust paint. Some sweat equity but little cost and I suspect it would have to be done again in about 10 years.

So would the ice blast process do the job and get off the remaining paint and the surface rust? If so, any idea what it would cost/rough estimate? Is their someone on the south tip of Vancouver Island that could do it? Could they also paint it?
How would they mask out the body panels and winch from the metal to be blasted so as not to damage the body paint etc?
Bumper has to come off

Bumper has to come off

That makes perfect sense but I suspect it would cost thousands to do it that way. It is not just a bumper, it is a complete very heavy steel armored front end for the truck with integrated angled skid plates to protect the front end of the motor, rad. and oil pan etc.. It is built like a tank and the truck is a beast in the woods. So I guess I will need to make up some shields to fit between the bumper and where it abuts body panels and get out the hand and power tools.
What I could use is someone in the Victoria area, who is out of work with the Covid restrictions and who is good with tools, needs some cash and can work with me to clean up the lower parts. At my age I don't like bending over that much.

Last edited:
Back