Puck, pellet or chips?

Wild Bill

Wanting a grill with smokey flavour as well as a smoker, I don't think one will do both well.
What would you choose? Pucks kinda expensive however convenient if it worked.. Just saw Cookies Cutter thread and didn't want to hijack it.
Same problem with a pellet grill or smoker? Pellets swell in the auger and jam it during the winter? Do you need to unload the hopper after every use and store them in the house?
My last smoker was just cedar outhouse style and that was what I was planning on going with and I'm sure I could automate it more than the old one, might be just as expensive to build as buying one however it might be better with digital control on the cold smoker as well as the outhouse element. Wish I wouldn't have given away the over racks I had..
Don't know what to do with the grill, all I have at the moment is the little Webber we haul around in the motorhome and I like the sear of charcoal and don't mind waiting for it to light (chimney and map gas torch).
I have been slicing little slabs of cherry and throwing them on and it creates a nice flavour, just need somthing bigger as hopefully eventually our bubbles will get bigger!

Do you also buy all your pellets thru them or have you used others in this tray or tried woodchips in the tray? It does look like a great accessory .
When I bought mine they sold sawdust. Works way better but can't seem to find it. If you can find a guy with a shop and a big sander it would be a great supply! I got a huge box of it so still have some left after 6 years.

When I bought mine they sold sawdust. Works way better but can't seem to find it. If you can find a guy with a shop and a big sander it would be a great supply! I got a huge box of it so still have some left after 6 years.
Will wood chips work in this sawdust burner or will the chips just die out early.

Will wood chips work in this sawdust burner or will the chips just die out early.
I've used chips and pellets and they both worked good enough. The dust just seemed to create more smoke and burned slower with no flare-ups.

I bought Traegar pellets, a bag of alder for fish and a bag of their Texas blend( mostly hickory I think) for everything else. They last forever as this tray is very economical. If you can turn off half of your bbq grill, you can smoke a whole chicken right on your bbq. I bought it to use in my Bradley when the smoke generator gave up the ghost but works great in the bbq too.

I have a pellet and a puck. The Bradley is an original Original from back in 1997. The temp slider is long gone, so I use a knife to adjust with white marker for temps. I still smoke all my fish with the Bradley as well and most of my pepperoni. Lower temps and easier to control the fine temps. Since I smoke only during the summer/fall and watch the usual places like CT, Cabelas etc for when pucks go on sale, I don't find the pucks that expensive

The PitBoss is for BBQ, slow cooking and smoking large pieces of meat. Did a duck this weekend for Thanksgiving...amazing! I use 5 gallon buckets for keeping the pellets dry and organized. I clean the hopper and burn box out every time with a small battery vacuum but leave the auger with pellets until the end of Oct up here. I tried the PitBoss for smoking fish and it burned too hot, even at the lowest setting. Same as the pepperoni. I did 15 lbs of Cracked Pepper and Garlic summer sausage this weekend and the Pellet smoker worked well. If you think pucks are expensive, wait to you do a brisket on the pellet..... Still, if you like smoking meat, who cares!!!

Cheers

SS

I have a pellet and a puck. The Bradley is an original Original from back in 1997. The temp slider is long gone, so I use a knife to adjust with white marker for temps. I still smoke all my fish with the Bradley as well and most of my pepperoni. Lower temps and easier to control the fine temps. Since I smoke only during the summer/fall and watch the usual places like CT, Cabelas etc for when pucks go on sale, I don't find the pucks that expensive

The PitBoss is for BBQ, slow cooking and smoking large pieces of meat. Did a duck this weekend for Thanksgiving...amazing! I use 5 gallon buckets for keeping the pellets dry and organized. I clean the hopper and burn box out every time with a small battery vacuum but leave the auger with pellets until the end of Oct up here. I tried the PitBoss for smoking fish and it burned too hot, even at the lowest setting. Same as the pepperoni. I did 15 lbs of Cracked Pepper and Garlic summer sausage this weekend and the Pellet smoker worked well. If you think pucks are expensive, wait to you do a brisket on the pellet..... Still, if you like smoking meat, who cares!!!

Cheers

SS
I do brisket on my Primo Oval XL ceramic grill because I can run it steady at 225 for over 15 hours on one load of charcoal. I use the Amazin-Q tray for added smoke through the first 4 hours or just some chunks in the charcoal spread out strategically.

You really can't beat the flavor of good charcoal even without added smoke. It runs deep.

Back