Its going to get more heated on the water back East..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess we will no longer need DFO or it’s Minister.

Having the FN in charge of the fishing industry in this country would be like flying to China today and grabbing a few random Chinese people and putting them in charge of all of Canadas rail system because in the 1880s their ancestors built it. No offence meant because I’m not a marine biologist either but in my opinion I doubt very few people are qualified to manage something this important . Unless of course they have spent enough time getting educated on the current state of things.

It is painfully obvious that DFO and their masters in the ivory tower in Ottawa haven't got the slightest interest in managing and rebuilding the salmon on the Pacific coast. They are quite happy to reallocate everything that is left, from all the other user groups, to the FN, and sit back and watch them fish those resources into oblivion. Do everything but put money and resources into protecting and rebuilding what we have got left. Play political games to stay in power and protect their pensions. What a pathetic species of animal we are....

Having the FN in charge of the fishing industry in this country would be like flying to China today and grabbing a few random Chinese people and putting them in charge of all of Canadas rail system because in the 1880s their ancestors built it. No offence meant because I’m not a marine biologist either but in my opinion I doubt very few people are qualified to manage something this important . Unless of course they have spent enough time getting educated on the current state of things.
Having the FN in charge of the fishing industry in this country would be like flying to China today and grabbing a few random Chinese people and putting them in charge of all of Canadas rail system because in the 1880s their ancestors built it.
This comment comes off as pretty racist and ignorant. I think a lot of FN care deeply about Salmon and are quite well informed on the issues at stake. How can any group do worse than we have?

Ya I figured someone would say I’m a racist. I don’t care what you or anyone else thinks. I’m also not surprised considering how goddamn soft everyone has become. I stand by what I said. Every resource we have in this country should be managed by educated and well informed people . If that happens to be a FN person than great. But handing it over to them because Of the colour of their skin and because they used to net rivers and the fish magically showed up again the next year does not automatically mean they were doing a great job at managing the stocks or have the answers to fix our current situation. In fact I would argue the fishing methods being used by them in particular these days are extremely harmful and prove my point even more. If they allow this It would be like hiring someone as a security guard at a bank and then telling them they are allowed to rob it whenever they want. I’m pretty sure the money would run out pretty quick.

Last edited:
Ya I figured someone would say I’m a racist. I don’t care what you or anyone else thinks. I’m also not surprised considering how goddamn soft everyone has become. I stand by what I said. Every resource we have in this country should be managed by educated and well informed people . If that happens to be a FN person than great. But handing it over to them because Of the colour of their skin and because they used to net rivers and the fish magically showed up again the next year does not automatically mean they were doing a great job at managing the stocks or have the answers to fix our current situation. In fact I would argue the fishing methods being used by them in particular these days are extremely harmful and prove my point even more. If they allow this It would be like hiring someone as a security guard at a bank and then telling them they are allowed to rob it whenever they want. I’m pretty sure the money would run out pretty quick.
Ya, Thunder - wrt case law - it isn't about the "colour of somebody's skin". That is a racist and inaccurate characterization of what aboriginal rights are, and how they are assessed. It's instead about a history of residence, exclusion and other aspects of traditional governance. you (and others) can reference it yourself at: https://www.canlii.org/en/#search/text=aboriginal rights test

I wish they taught this stuff in school and people would hopefully be more informed and understanding of how we got where we are today, because I think it is important. The Indian Act is the racist law imposed on Aboriginal peoples across what we call today Canada:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/21-things-you-may-not-know-about-the-indian-act-1.3533613
https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/indian-status-5-things-you-need-to-know-1.2744870

The problem on the East Coast - is who is "aboriginal", today? There's been ~450 yrs of intermarriage with the European settlers. It plays a role that is most often not discussed, and a source of friction between the Acadian and Mi’kmaq fishers..

Aboriginal rights and freedoms not affected by Charter 25

The guarantee in this Charter of certain rights and freedoms shall not be construed so as to abrogate or derogate from any aboriginal, treaty or other rights or freedoms that pertain to the aboriginal peoples of Canada including
(a) any rights or freedoms that have been recognized by the Royal Proclamation of October 7, 1763; and
(b) any rights or freedoms that now exist by way of land claims agreements or may be so acquired.

Equality Rights

Equality before and under law and equal protection and benefit of law 15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

Affirmative action programs
(2) Subsection (1) does not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration of conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups including those that are disadvantaged because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

Legislative Authority of Parliament of Canada 91. It shall be lawful for the Queen, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate and House of Commons, to make Laws for the Peace, Order, and good Government of Canada, in relation to all Matters not coming within the Classes of Subjects by this Act assigned exclusively to the Legislatures of the Provinces; and for greater Certainty, but not so as to restrict the Generality of the foregoing Terms of this Section, it is hereby declared that (notwithstanding anything in this Act) the exclusive Legislative Authority of the Parliament of Canada extends to all Matters coming within the Classes of Subjects next hereinafter enumerated; that is to say,

24. Indians, and Lands reserved for the Indians.

RIGHTS OF THE ABORIGINAL PEOPLES OF CANADA

Recognition of existing aboriginal and treaty rights 35. (1) The existing aboriginal and treaty rights of the aboriginal peoples of Canada are hereby recognized and affirmed.

Here, there is a prima facie case of discrimination pursuant to s. 15(1). The right given by the pilot sales program is limited to Aboriginals and has a detrimental effect on non‑aboriginal commercial fishers who operate in the same region as the beneficiaries of the program. It is also clear that the disadvantage is related to racial differences. The native right falls under s. 25. The unique relationship between British Columbia aboriginal communities and the fishery should be enough to draw a link between the right to fish given to Aboriginals pursuant to the pilot sales program and the rights contemplated by s. 25. The right to fish has consistently been the object of claims based on aboriginal rights and treaty rights, the enumerated terms in the provisions. Furthermore, the Crown itself argued that these rights to fish were a first step in establishing a treaty right and s. 25 reflects the notions of reconciliation and negotiation present in the treaty process. Finally, the right in this case is totally dependent on the exercise of powers given to Parliament under s. 91(24) of the Constitution Act, 1867, which deals with Indians. The Charter cannot be interpreted as rendering unconstitutional the exercise of powers consistent with the purposes of s. 91(24), nor is it rational to believe that every exercise of the s. 91(24) jurisdiction requires a justification under s. 1 of the Charter. Section 25 is a necessary partner to s. 35(1) of the Constitution Act, 1982; it protects s. 35(1) purposes and enlarges the reach of measures needed to fulfill the promise of reconciliation. There is also a real conflict here, since the right to equality afforded to every individual under s. 15 is not capable of application consistently with the rights of aboriginal fishers holding licences under the pilot sales program. Section 25 of the Charter accordingly applies in the present situation and provides a full answer to the claim. [116] [119‑123]

Last edited:
That is a ruling on access via "economic opportunity" commercial sales verses "FSC' or aboriginal right to harvest, WMY. You are likely aware of that WMY - but just to be clear for the rest of the readership....

Commercial fishermen rally in Digby over Mi'kmaw fishery
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/commericial-fishermen-rally-digby-mi-kmaw-1.5761102
Angry mob trap Mi’kmaw fishermen at a lobster pound in southwestern Nova Scotia
http://kukukwes.com/2020/10/14/angr...-a-lobster-pound-in-southwestern-nova-scotia/
Mi'kmaw fisherman says lobster pound was trashed, catch stolen
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/mi-kmaw-lobster-fishery-1.5761468
Two Mi’kmaw trapped inside lobster pound by 'hundreds' of commercial fishermen
https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...ter-pound-by-hundreds-of-commercial-fishermen
Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Nova Scotia
tsSpa4odnsorehd ·
Nova Scotia RCMP remain on scene at a lobster pound in Digby County and are investigating threats and mischief following disturbances last evening.
At approximately 4 p.m. on October 13, Meteghan RCMP were called to a disturbance outside a lobster pound in New Edinburgh. Upon arrival, responding officers observed a group of approximately 200 people who were preventing employees from leaving the lobster pound and that some individuals were throwing rocks at the building and vehicles nearby. Officers on scene were able to keep the peace and attempted to mediate. While on scene, police extinguished a vehicle fire that was heavily damaged. In addition to the vehicle, there was damage to other personal and commercial property. The RCMP is investigating mischief and threats related to the disturbance.
At approximately 9 p.m. on October 13, Yarmouth RCMP were called to a disturbance outside a lobster pound in Middle West Pubnico. While en-route, police were advised that the group was preventing employees from leaving and had caused damaged to the building. Upon arrival, officers observed approximately 200 people in the area and worked to de-escalate the situation and disperse the group. Unfortunately events escalated with further damages incurred. The RCMP is investigating reports of crimes against person and property including threats and mischief related to this disturbance.
The investigations are ongoing.
File #’s 20201514869 and 20201516554

Last edited:
Looks like the easterners have bigger balls than west coasters.

The Supreme Court May of gave them a right to a modest living on the east coast but no one in the province is on the First Nation side and they are gonna need 24h RCMP protection if they continue.

and what I said weeks ago stands....

Commercial fishermen rally in Digby over Mi'kmaw fishery
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/commericial-fishermen-rally-digby-mi-kmaw-1.5761102
Angry mob trap Mi’kmaw fishermen at a lobster pound in southwestern Nova Scotia
http://kukukwes.com/2020/10/14/angr...-a-lobster-pound-in-southwestern-nova-scotia/
Mi'kmaw fisherman says lobster pound was trashed, catch stolen
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/mi-kmaw-lobster-fishery-1.5761468
Two Mi’kmaw trapped inside lobster pound by 'hundreds' of commercial fishermen
https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...ter-pound-by-hundreds-of-commercial-fishermen
Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Nova Scotia
tsSpa4odnsorehd ·
Nova Scotia RCMP remain on scene at a lobster pound in Digby County and are investigating threats and mischief following disturbances last evening.
At approximately 4 p.m. on October 13, Meteghan RCMP were called to a disturbance outside a lobster pound in New Edinburgh. Upon arrival, responding officers observed a group of approximately 200 people who were preventing employees from leaving the lobster pound and that some individuals were throwing rocks at the building and vehicles nearby. Officers on scene were able to keep the peace and attempted to mediate. While on scene, police extinguished a vehicle fire that was heavily damaged. In addition to the vehicle, there was damage to other personal and commercial property. The RCMP is investigating mischief and threats related to the disturbance.
At approximately 9 p.m. on October 13, Yarmouth RCMP were called to a disturbance outside a lobster pound in Middle West Pubnico. While en-route, police were advised that the group was preventing employees from leaving and had caused damaged to the building. Upon arrival, officers observed approximately 200 people in the area and worked to de-escalate the situation and disperse the group. Unfortunately events escalated with further damages incurred. The RCMP is investigating reports of crimes against person and property including threats and mischief related to this disturbance.
The investigations are ongoing.
File #’s 20201514869 and 20201516554

In the homemade video the FN say “enforce the ****ing law, this is terrorism”. Holy hypocrisy. Bet they weren’t saying that during all the railway blockages which is much more against the law ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back