Boat owner had a bad day

So I went to Oak Bay Marina today given the weather to check on my boat, to make sure this wasn’ t happening. Saw an open model Boston whaler leaning to port, a lot of water in it, the portable fuel tank was floating and leaking so it was a combo of gas+water in the boat. The office was closed, so no one to notify. If it was just water I would have prob bailed some out but since it was mixed with gas I did nothing.
I guess we will see if they are unsinkable, What do people do in this situation?

Just call coast guard *16 from your phone, if it sinks its a hazard to navigation.

So I went to Oak Bay Marina today given the weather to check on my boat, to make sure this wasn’ t happening. Saw an open model Boston whaler leaning to port, a lot of water in it, the portable fuel tank was floating and leaking so it was a combo of gas+water in the boat. The office was closed, so no one to notify. If it was just water I would have prob bailed some out but since it was mixed with gas I did nothing.
I guess we will see if they are unsinkable, What do people do in this situation?
One of my boats is a 17 foot boston whaler. When i used to leave it moored at the dock i would pull the plug in the bottom of the transom. Very little water would come in and it could rain all it wants and it just flows out. They are truly unsinkable.

a good example of why it’s a great practice to leave your name and emergency phone number on your boat.

phone the marina and leave a message and slip number. Good on ya for giving a shiit!

Marinas usually post an emergency number near the door. Check for that. Ask others around the marina. Also phone the fire department , at least. Fuel in the water is a hazardous spill. What a good boater would not do is nothing.

If I had a dime for every time this summer I heard on channel 16..... “this is US Coast Guard, sector Puget Sound....break.... this station has received a report of a Blue Bayliner taking on water at xyz....any mariners able to assist, please contact this station...break”. Sadly a true story.

My Neighbours in the late 90's was a Coast Guard Auxiliary out of the Kits Base. We were good pals. He would go moose hunting and I would give him a few good bottles of Rye for some steak and roasts.

When I was beginning to look at boats he told me to never own a Bayliner and showed me photo after photo of them sinking, hulls delaminating an sinking , and the liner separating from the hull and sinking . I have heard that they are better now, but they are still not on my buy list.

My Neighbours in the late 90's was a Coast Guard Auxiliary out of the Kits Base. We were good pals. He would go moose hunting and I would give him a few good bottles of Rye for some steak and roasts.

When I was beginning to look at boats he told me to never own a Bayliner and showed me photo after photo of them sinking, hulls delaminating an sinking , and the liner separating from the hull and sinking . I have heard that they are better now, but they are still not on my buy list.
You do hear that but Bayliner's are so common you are bound to see a few calamities. However, they are affordable and open opportunities for folks that otherwise wouldn't be able to get on the water. I had a 26 foot sunbridge for a few years and never a problem. Great family memories, too

No new information. The boat had been there about a week so not much known about it. He had heard there was some issues with the bilge pumps but no one knows for sure. Will let you know if I hear more

I was at a dock a while ago.. it was raining hard and someones tinny had a foot of water in the stern. It also had a little pump handy.

I helped myself to the pump and pumped it out.. because. Why not? I dont think the owner would have been unhappy if he came down and saw.

I'd appreciate the same.

OMG.....brutal. Worst nite mare right there.
So, lets turn this into a learning experience......does anyone know what caused this?
I always look to the cause, so I can avoid it myself.....
Can't tell for sure but looks like an IO model, they were much more common than OB in the early 90s series of bulkhead Trophies. Classic cause for moorage sinking in IO is leaks around the leg bellows combined with weak battery so auto bilge pump no longer keeps up. Leak could have been happening for weeks or months, auto pump does its job well enough that owner doesn't realise there's a problem. Until an extended no-run period allows battery to fully discharge, now it's a submarine.

A few years ago I was doing the normal every chance I could winter spring fishing,one weekend I was returning the fishing favor to a buddy who had taken me out many times...long story short I was so excited about getting my friend out that after launching and parking at sunset marina I came back to my boat to hear the alarm going off im like wtf?, I open my cowl to find water up to the valve covers I was able to limp back to the trailer as the summer docks were stored it died as I bumped the runner on the trailer we pulled her on and sat on the launch draining water and wondering what happened id just done the bellows and bearing so I didn't think that was it, didn't figure it out till I got back home, that because of the frequency of fishing and the freezing weather I had removed the drain plugs from the manifolds they were sitting on the intake. I now know that my impeller pumps alot of water! I know its not the same as what happened to this boat but bad days happen no matter what type of boat, mineIMG_1324.jpg happens to be a 2452 ciera express

Back