2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fog actually stayed in the harbour all day and on the way home rolled out into the straight. Had to trust my life with my lowrance charts. Couldnt see lighthouses nothing. So pretty much stayed mid straight and cut in at the last minute.

The fish seem to be very right at or after the tide. So I put in yesterday 3 strikes. Nothing today out since 10am. Cold will update

Since our one month of fishing in area 29 is basically over, lets not forget how screwed over we got and do something about it , make calls and get involved. I've decided to bombard my elected politicians with calls and emails almost daily, I would suggest if your not doing it now maybe do a little, I'm figuring eventually it might stick, nothing violent just a friendly call to tell them we are not happy and there is a need for changes. Have a safe off season all and hopefully we will be able to fish area 29 sooner than Sept 2021

Wait for the Rain man....

I have next to zero experience fishing cap mouth.
Since our one month of fishing in area 29 is basically over, lets not forget how screwed over we got and do something about it , make calls and get involved. I've decided to bombard my elected politicians with calls and emails almost daily, I would suggest if your not doing it now maybe do a little, I'm figuring eventually it might stick, nothing violent just a friendly call to tell them we are not happy and there is a need for changes. Have a safe off season all and hopefully we will be able to fish area 29 sooner than Sept 2021

I completely agree...and to be more precise, the season really was the first 2 weeks in sept. After mid sept it was really hit and miss and not consistent. Now take the 2 weeks we had we actually had the winds cooperating for a good portion of that. Most years may only result in a handful of fishable days in the 2 weeks.

I have next to zero experience fishing cap mouth.

I completely agree...and to be more precise, the season really was the first 2 weeks in sept. After mid sept it was really hit and miss and not consistent. Now take the 2 weeks we had we actually had the winds cooperating for a good portion of that. Most years may only result in a handful of fishable days in the 2 weeks.

And, this year there were way less fish overall compared to last year In Sept and Oct. Last year I caught several fish in October and Sept was stellar. August was probably epic this year but who knows.

Last edited:
For me, it was more consistent last year. During CnR in May and June it felt like the year was going to be lights out. Then the winds of July came ripping and it was challenging battles for sure. Some of the best times were followed by hours of nothing, then picking up nice in limit slabs right at sunset in July. Then followed by days of wtf am I doing wrong haha...August went OK, plus some skunks to go with it. Into Sept we had a few days of lights out, plus one when I was done in 10 minutes before the limit increased to 2.

What I didn't see as much of was hatchery coho other than mid August for the Chapman creek fishery.

Having said all that we have a freezer full of spring, likely similar to last season. Some unreal experiences including the kamikaze spring posted above, and the incredible one shot bait toss to @Raincity off the Pilings on the east side of Texada. After which I plowed back down malispina straits into a 30 knot SE wondering where I'm gonna find safety along side that effing rock haha

You guys all help make sport fishing one of my favorite pastimes by far. I've learned from all who contribute to the conversation here and sfbc is by far my best time spent online.

Cheers to all, bring on the winters...

For me, it was more consistent last year. During CnR in May and June it felt like the year was going to be lights out. Then the winds of July came ripping and it was challenging battles for sure. Some of the best times were followed by hours of nothing, then picking up nice in limit slabs right at sunset in July. Then followed by days of wtf am I doing wrong haha...August went OK, plus some skunks to go with it. Into Sept we had a few days of lights out, plus one when I was done in 10 minutes before the limit increased to 2.

What I didn't see as much of was hatchery coho other than mid August for the Chapman creek fishery.

Having said all that we have a freezer full of spring, likely similar to last season. Some unreal experiences including the kamikaze spring posted above, and the incredible one shot bait toss to @Raincity off the Pilings on the east side of Texada. After which I plowed back down malispina straits into a 30 knot SE wondering where I'm gonna find safety along side that effing rock haha

You guys all help make sport fishing one of my favorite pastimes by far. I've learned from all who contribute to the conversation here and sfbc is by far my best time spent online.

Cheers to all, bring on the winters...
Highlight of the season for sure ;). Always great seeing members on the water. I really don't understand why so many guys want to remain anonymous on here. Just an awesome group of guys that I've encountered. If anyone sees me up howe sound or off bowen this winter feel free to raft up for a hot coffee and a warm up on the condo :).

For me this season likewise has been hit and miss. I had a few productive outings and skunked completely a few times. Nevertheless, every trip I had was absolutely fantastic and enjoyed every min of it. My freezer is full not because of local fishing I had but rather the trip I had earlier to Nootka. Coho this season has been absolutely terrible for me for the most part.

One of the highlights this season for me was getting myself familiar with the new electronics. I only had to use my radar once and that was in Nootka. All I can say it paid off big time and is worth every penny I spent for it.

I just like to thank you all for being such an amazing members. Your moments, suggestions and help made me a much better fisherman and allowed me to pass my learning to others.

Thank you!

Highlight of the season for sure ;). Always great seeing members on the water. I really don't understand why so many guys want to remain anonymous on here. Just an awesome group of guys that I've encountered. If anyone sees me up howe sound or off bowen this winter feel free to raft up for a hot coffee and a warm up on the condo :).

Come for the coffee, stay for the bacon....

Which one of you hearty souls is going to hit it today? We rolled up to the cabin on the late ferry last night and it was howling like crazy, but nice looking day if you're on a 50+ sportfish...or a commander lol

Which one of you hearty souls is going to hit it today? We rolled up to the cabin on the late ferry last night and it was howling like crazy, but nice looking day if you're on a 50+ sportfish...or a commander lol
At the Cap solo, 1 other boat. Commute was ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back