Suzuki (older) outboard issues

Gerblue

Hi everyone. I was Googling my engine issue and a link to this web site came up ... so I joined.

I bought an 18 foot Canaventure with a Suzuki DT100 on the back. It starts good and runs good. I had it in for servicing and had a few things tweaked. Compression is good all around.

So the wife and I took it out on the lake (Lwr Campbell) and ran around a bit. We decided to shut it down in the middle of the lake and have lunch. After about an hour I tried to start er ... no go. It would crank over ... but no start. So we limped back to the ramp on the kicker ... stopping twice to try and start the engine in question ... still no go. Got it on the trailer and parked it at home. Out of curiosity I turned the key and she lit up instantly.

What would the issue be ? Any ideas out there ? Actually ... I'm sure there are ... fuel ... spark ...etc. I was just wondering if there is anyone with the same engine that has run into the same problem. Is it a common issue ? Thanks in advance ... :)

Cheers .... Gerry

Last edited:
Might have ignition breaking down... dist problem? Coil? Ignition module? I would do a test when you get the engine hot, shut it down then try another hot start and check for spark.

don't think so .... running on a portable ... vented
I thought it might be the choke ... but according to the service manual it doesn't have one ... the choke button energizes a solenoid that injects fuel to the carbs ... I'm thinking there's a problem there

I had a similar problem with a Johnson 60hp. You could disconnect the wire to the fuel primer solenoid to see if that solves the issue. I chased the problem for a long time and eventually rebuilt the carbs and did a link and sync and also replaced the fuel pump. Never had the problem again after that.

I had a similar problem with a Johnson 60hp. You could disconnect the wire to the fuel primer solenoid to see if that solves the issue. I chased the problem for a long time and eventually rebuilt the carbs and did a link and sync and also replaced the fuel pump. Never had the problem again after that.
I'm going to take it out and see if it does it again .... shut er down around the ramp though ... lol ... I think I'll take a meter and see if you're right about that ... thanks Fox !

Back