Vacuum Sealer Recommendations

LastTurn

There is a lot of discussion and recommendations on vacuum sealers dating back to 2008 on this board. I didn’t find a lot of current information.
What make/model is recommended? Our primary use is preserving salmon, halibut and beef. The Admiral wants a good quality sealer with a small foot print (if that is possible) that does a good job.

The vp215 is sweet (I have one and love it) but definitely not a small footprint. The thing probably weighs 80# and is big and not easily moved. The VP112S might make more sense if size is concern

Last edited:
We have the VacMaster VP215 and purchased it based on the reviews from members. It's been fantastic for us and we use it primarily for fish, bulk meat purchases and sous vide cooking.

We store our unit in the garage on a stainless cart (Costco). Having it on the cart gives us way more flexibility.

Another vote for the vp215. Had it many years with no issues. Take it to Bamfield every year in a plywood case I made for it. It is a beast to move around.

We use a a 11" foodsaver 120$ at home hardware on sale ,but always pat the meat with a paper towel wrap the meat ( fish ,crab,20181216_174529.jpg beef , pork . chicken .....) in a foodfilm prior to sealing 20200923_141728.jpg no worries for long term freezing 6- 12 months !we also use the mini fresh saver a hand held unit that seals ziplock bags reusable (theirs) for cheese and deli meat for extra life in the fridge20201007_111051.jpg , have a buddie with a large chamber sealer for anything big. :) Best Regards

If your packing lots do yourself a favour and get a chamber sealer..... best money you will ever spend imo. Pricey but well worth it.... you’ll wish you got one years ago

Weston makes good units to if you don't want/need the higher price of a chamber sealer
https://westonbrands.com/vacuum-sealers-and-bags
These are great sealers.I own a Pro-1100 which takes 11" wide bags and they'll fit up to about a low 20's spring.Any bigger and I'll fillet them and slice to size.Been 4 years now without a problem.It was cheaper to buy it on ebay out of the states than anywhere I could find in Canada by almost $100.00.

My Costco foodsaver is going on five years and still going strong. My next one will be a chamber sealer but I have no reason to upgrade right now. Can’t really beat the value.

quick question, why do butchers always use paper instead of vacuum sealing? I’m looking into ordering a half a Buffalo, and wondering if I should vacuum seal or keep it in butcher paper. Maybe butcher paper until frozen to keep the meat from getting squished and then vacuum seal to keep it for longer?

My Costco foodsaver is going on five years and still going strong. My next one will be a chamber sealer but I have no reason to upgrade right now. Can’t really beat the value.

quick question, why do butchers always use paper instead of vacuum sealing? I’m looking into ordering a half a Buffalo, and wondering if I should vacuum seal or keep it in butcher paper. Maybe butcher paper until frozen to keep the meat from getting squished and then vacuum seal to keep it for longer?
When we make sausagage in casings we wrap in buchers paper or peach paper then vacuum seal. yes excellent point about firming up anything that might be squished !

Attachments

• 20201008_163949.jpg
    20201008_163949.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I’ve been using my Vacmaster 215 for over 7 years, it’s never failed with thousands of uses. As codfather said I bought mine as well as bags through https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ 1000 bags for around 60 bucks. It helps if you have a place or PO Box down south for shipping and duty.

You know you married the right girl when your wife’s wish list is a chamber vacuum sealer:) We gave up on the food saver last season as it wasn’t able to keep pace for bigger jobs and now that we have a chamber sealer would never go back. My wife ordered the Vacmaster via Amazon but after 8 weeks of “being lost in transit” canceled the order and went with the option of the Vac Vida VS-301. She loves it and was surprised when she called with question the owner actually spoke with her directly. We’ve had it for about a year and have had no issues....good reviews on Amazon from other users. It’s definitely not a light piece of equipment but has a small enough footprint to be portable.
https://www.so-vida.com/shop/

You know you married the right girl when your wife’s wish list is a chamber vacuum sealer:) We gave up on the food saver last season as it wasn’t able to keep pace for bigger jobs and now that we have a chamber sealer would never go back. My wife ordered the Vacmaster via Amazon but after 8 weeks of “being lost in transit” canceled the order and went with the option of the Vac Vida VS-301. She loves it and was surprised when she called with question the owner actually spoke with her directly. We’ve had it for about a year and have had no issues....good reviews on Amazon from other users. It’s definitely not a light piece of equipment but has a small enough footprint to be portable.
Is that one equivalent to the Vac master 215?

Back