Amazon down rigger braid.

150lb seams to be the normal now
will be getting some off fleabay but its 4-6 weeks away
16 strand green

It sounds like some cheaper "off" brands bleed the dye. Other than that some of the features desirable for use on a fishing reel (more strands, smaller diameter) probably make no difference when used as DR cable. 150# is considered light. I used 90# wire w/o issues & went with 150# braid. I always use the stretchy snubbers. Some folks are "issue prone".

Definitely run a snubber. Most lost balls have been friends stopping a drop to fast and snapping things. Braid has no give.

Definitely run a snubber. Most lost balls have been friends stopping a drop to fast and snapping things. Braid has no give.
then your letting them set gear to fast ... if your breaking off ...

I do not run the Scotty snubbers on my braid. They just create more drag which I am trying to eliminate by using braid.

I use a clip with swivel attached to 6 or so feet of ganion. Retie the knots a few times a year. Breakoffs are usually worn knots IMHO.

[QUOTE="
I use a clip with swivel attached to 6 or so feet of ganion. Retie the knots a few times a year. Breakoffs are usually worn knots IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Amen to the retie!!

Just want to say I'm switching to braid. I was a believer in steel as its rugged and traditional. However you get a big fish on and youre solo just have a knife nearby and cut it off. Sometimes you can't get your gear up in time. Ide rather lose some gear than a fish.

don't understand cutting off cannon ball clip and god knows how much braid for a unseen fish please don't come on my boat....
most big springs will go on a run...., let them ..as soon as you set, then hit the button and get the ball's up ...
i fish 2 or more riggers and at times stack even solo always turn the boat to the cleared side ....

never been in a situ where i would cut my gear for a fish .....

tangles with stacked lines yes but not the down rigger .....

don't understand cutting off cannon ball clip and god knows how much braid for a unseen fish please don't come on my boat....
most big springs will go on a run...., let them ..as soon as you set, then hit the button and get the ball's up ...
i fish 2 or more riggers and at times stack even solo always turn the boat to the cleared side ....

never been in a situ where i would cut my gear for a fish .....

tangles with stacked lines yes but not the down rigger .....
I would never cut riggers for my own fish either someone else’s fish sure as long as there not 400 yds away drifting in the tide

Back