Catching on Braid vs Mono

sir-vivor

Just wondering what your thoughts are on Braid vs Mono fish action.
It was the first time I caught a tyee using braid and to tell you I am reformed. I always thought Mono was the line but the Braid was unreal. For instance, I feel the head shakes are way more noticeable on braid and controlling the fish was much easier.
What do you guys think ?

Just wondering what your thoughts are on Braid vs Mono fish action.
It was the first time I caught a tyee using braid and to tell you I am reformed. I always thought Mono was the line but the Braid was unreal. For instance, I feel the head shakes are way more noticeable on braid and controlling the fish was much easier.
What do you guys think ?
Is this just so you can talk about your tyee some more? Jerk.

But seriously I love the braid. Would never go back.

Braid with about 40 ft of mono at the top for a little give. Bigger factor in the feel for the fish is the absence or presence of an inline flasher.

I prefer braid with no mono attached. Braid straight to the flasher. Either way tho braid is the way to go.

With braid you absolutely know when you have had a touch or have a shaker on.....mono, not so much. I do both top shot and straight braid, jury is still out on which I prefer.

With braid you absolutely know when you have had a touch or have a shaker on.....mono, not so much. I do both top shot and straight braid, jury is still out on which I prefer.
I guess with the straight braid , no worry of the knot failing , might give it a go , less chance of failure is a good thing but you got to think if a salmon can spot the bait in a wide open ocean, maybe the clear mono gives us a better chance ... hmmm ;)

I was just thinking this yesterday...I caught a little rockfish while jigging a reef near yellow point. I was mostly just killing time because I was trying to chase out an intermittent ignition problem, but as long as I was sitting out there I figured I'd just cast and drop to kill time. It was on a fairly heavy rod and on mono it would have been barely possible to feel the fish fighting me. But I had a short leader of mono and about 100' of braid out and man, I could feel every little twitch. Even that two pound rocky was kind of fun to have on the line because the braid transmitted so much detail.

I'm a convert.

I love my Ocean spin cast for bottom fish, going to spool it up with braid . All my Hali Rods are braid so good to go there , cant wait to get to Bam for them bottom fish on braid next year

Braid is obvioulsy more sensitive, but its prone to tangles on the spool in the hands of someone inexperienced. It also doesnt give much leeway for error when the fish shakes its head, in my experiences its way easier to lose a fish with braid even with the topshot of mono.

The FG knot is awesome for attaching braid to mono btw.

I have used both but my reels have mono on them currently, because im a simple man - or maybe a simpleton

I like the FG knot myself...although I recently had one come apart on me on what was probably that line's two hundredth cast and tenth fish. I couldn't believe it. The lure and leader went sailing off into the water and when I reeled in the braid I could see the little loops still in the braid like I'd left it in a tiny hair curler. Felt solid as a rock beforehand. But somehow it worked loose. Although to be fair I've had other knots come undone; you do anything enough and you will discover every conceivable obscure failure mode. Still, I'd been so confident in it until that moment.

I tied on a new leader using the exact same knot so clearly I haven't lost faith in it, I was just shocked to see one fail after repeated use. I've usually only seen knots fail immediately.

It does suddenly occur to me, though, that since I tied the one that slipped out, I've changed my technique to keep the braid under tension with my fingers the whole time and I think that makes for a better knot. And I can actually tie it on a boat now, whereas before when I was doing it loosely, just laying the braid over the mono, I found it too fragile during tying to do it anywhere but indoors, on land.

Braid is obvioulsy more sensitive, but its prone to tangles on the spool in the hands of someone inexperienced. It also doesnt give much leeway for error when the fish shakes its head, in my experiences its way easier to lose a fish with braid even with the topshot of mono.

The FG knot is awesome for attaching braid to mono btw.

I have used both but my reels have mono on them currently, because im a simple man - or maybe a simpleton
Yep. I’m a mono guy too. I don’t fish down 250 ft so braid is unnecessary for me

Stretch in your line while playing large fish is your best friend, keeps tension on the hook set at all times. This comes in to play big time as the fish gets closer to the boat in that last 50’ or so and starts with the big head shakes. I’ll be sticking with my good quality mono. We’ve dabbled in braid on our fresh water gear for over 20 years now and I have never found any I like.

Mono all the way...... tried the braid with mono top shot on a buddies reel with a mid teener on..... need the stretch and forgiveness of mono imo. Braid on hali reels that’s it for me. Berkeley pro-spec hands down best mono I’ve ever used.

Super slick braid 40# with 30 ft 25# topshot. More fun, more sensitive, and way easier to pop the gear out of the clip because no stretch. Less forgiving playing fish but it makes you a better angler long term

Super slick braid 40# with 30 ft 25# topshot. More fun, more sensitive, and way easier to pop the gear out of the clip because no stretch. Less forgiving playing fish but it makes you a better angler long term

Please explain this one to me.

Please explain this one to me.

Fishing with braid creates a more sensitive connection with the fish due to no stretch/elasticity in main line. You have to be able to react quicker and read changes in salmon swimming direction because tension and vice versa slack happen faster than with mono. Better angler: faster reeling, more anticipatory skills, more feel. Just my 2 cents.....

I think it comes down to whether your priority is putting meat in your boat or enjoying the battle getting it to the boat.Mono is more forgiving with it's stretch and will keep tension on the fish,getting more fish to the boat.I prefer feeling every twitch and head shake even if it costs me more lost fish by having slack line at times.I'm out there to enjoy the experience more than bringing home something to eat.

Back