Death on the Cap today

Striker

cable pool.jpg Cable Pool

We were at the hatchery today when a wall of water came down from the dam. It flooded the fish ladders and walkway. Found out that five fishermen were swept away and only four were rescued. Went up to the dam but they had shut down the spillway by then.
Lots of fishermen at Cable Pool wearing hip waders without life jackets. Very dangerous practice.
Feel sorry for the families involved.

Last edited:
This is really awful. I would think there will be a full investigation into how this was opened up.

I knew that something was up as I was driving home on Cap Road around 4:30pm. Several police cruisers, an ambulance, and a Metro Vancouver works truck parked on Cap Road just below the Hwy 1 overpass. The gravel bar on the river at that location (more rocky than gravel) becomes an island with even moderate flows. Access to that spot is from trails down the bank on the West Van side. It seems like it's almost an annual event that somebody gets stuck there during rising water events and needs a rescue.

Condolences to the family and friends of the deceased fisherman.

No alarm warning at all??

I don't think that the Cleveland Dam has a water level warning system. Maybe it will after this event?

This is really awful. I would think there will be a full investigation into how this was opened up.
When we were at the dam, there were a lot of Metro Vancouver service vehicles. There was a major maintenance operation going on at the time.

Just heard on the noon news that aside from the 1 death there is still 1 missing.

It amazing only 5 ppl got caught.
I think there is more ppl missing.
An increase in water like that anyone in the canyon would have been SOL.

Sad and completely preventable.

Back