Comox Area Marina or Launch Choice

Reel_Restorations

Hi all,

Just thought I would ask for some local advice. Just moved up to Courtenay from Victoria area for work. Have been fishing out of Pedder Bay (really enjoyed the marina & area) and looking to find a new home for the boat next season. Just looking for local advice on the best marina choice in terms of proximity to best fishing possibilities. Not looking for anyone’s fishing holes, just more less the best spot to keep the boat so I can get on the best spots with the most year round possibilities. Have been looking at Comox Marina and Pacific Playground but really unsure at this point. Took it out of the water for the season but given the weather, might be making a few more day trips in the near future.

All advice and opinions appreciated! More then happy to share advice on Pedder Bay Area if anyone needs or wants it.

IMO PP is a good choice as it gives you lot more fishing options. close to Kitty humps, grants reef, the CR spots. the marina itself is kinda dated but it has the tackle shack....oh and the channel to the open ocean can be sketchy at lower tides.

EDIT: Pardon my ignorance; apparently there has been a major upgrade to the marina docks and slips to the tune of several million.

Last edited:
IMO PP is a good choice as it gives you lot more fishing options. close to Kitty humps, grants reef, the CR spots. the marina itself is kinda dated but it has the tackle shack....oh and the channel to the open ocean can be sketchy at lower tides.
^^^ What R.B. said and better than Salmon Point.
The Tackle Shack is great!

I agree on PP- pro's close to fishing, protected moorage, tackle shack-parking is good if moored-bit of a pain if launching , Nice ice cream!! cons-low tide of less than 5ft make exit and entrance almost non-existant(depends on boat) depends which slip you get but can be tight!

I’m not sure what size boat you have but this summer I took a 22’ Trophy out the channel on a 0.8m tide which is extremely low tide and had absolutely no problems. I probably still have 12” of water to spare. When I had my 26’ with twins I wouldn’t blink on coming in on a 1m tide and once came through on a 0.7 but that was pushing it.

As for the marina, it was 100% completely rebuilt from the ground up in 2012/2013 and additions aluminum walkway improvements in 2018. It’s a partially freshwater marina from the creek that runs into it which makes the water a bit easier on the boats.

Fishing:

7 miles to the green can in CR
4 miles to Sentry Shoals
8 miles to Kitty Coleman Hump
12 miles to Grants Reef

Hope that helps.

WW

I’m not sure what size boat you have but this summer I took a 22’ Trophy out the channel on a 0.8m tide which is extremely low tide and had absolutely no problems. I probably still have 12” of water to spare. When I had my 26’ with twins I wouldn’t blink on coming in on a 1m tide and once came through on a 0.7 but that was pushing it.

As for the marina, it was 100% completely rebuilt from the ground up in 2012/2013 and additions aluminum walkway improvements in 2018. It’s a partially freshwater marina from the creek that runs into it which makes the water a bit easier on the boats.

Fishing:

7 miles to the green can in CR
4 miles to Sentry Shoals
8 miles to Kitty Coleman Hump
12 miles to Grants Reef

Hope that helps.

WW

That's great info, much appreciated. I have heard different things with respect to channel but sounds like it should be fine.

I have a 20' Silver Streak with a 115. Should be no problem and a bit of fresh water in the bay is a bonus.

Well.....no dice on Pacific Playground. Called in before long weekend and it was a 2-3 year wait list for a 20' slip annually. Some month to month but nothing for the year. Sounded like mostly unavailable over summer months.

Any other options? Anyone keep their boat at Salmon Point? Just looking what else is out there or perhaps go South and have a look or see about what's available in Comox.

Any help, advice or reviews of marina's appreciated.

Thanks again all!

Back