Fantastic read for everyone. My wife just typed up

Not in the least - go search for cases where a re-entry after going in the water is required - it ain't easy.

Where do you bolt the down rigger on? Each fishing method has its each own unique experiences be it a walk with a rod along a creek, an evening fishing cruise, or a self propelled homemade raft (great times as a kid). Each his own.

Agree in general, but an inflatable pontoon boat breaks down to a more compact size than a kayak and costs less. The pontoon is more stable too, you'd have to be pissed as a billygoat to fall in. The tradeoff is straight line speed, a kayak is faster and less work. A small electric trolling motor takes care of that though...

Good write- up but I 'll still keep my boat and motor. I saw several people out kayak fishing about 3 weeks ago near Saratoga Beach. It looked like they were having a blast. Anything that gets you on the water is great by me!

Small fish on a big boat usually gets me going well enough. I'm a simple man I guess...
I'm no different in that regard but I'm imagining a 30lb spring towing me around while I fight it in...boy that doesn't sound LESS exciting to me, anyway.

Granted, getting skunked on a kayak probably wouldn't be any more exciting than how I usually do it.

To be honest kayak fishing doesn’t interest me in least. I spent enough of my youth cramped up in a small boat all day that you couldn’t get up and walk around in and make yourself comfortable. I’ve worked darn hard in my life to be able to afford some of the more comfortable things in life, no way am I going backwards.

To be honest kayak fishing doesn’t interest me in least. I spent enough of my youth cramped up in a small boat all day that you couldn’t get up and walk around in and make yourself comfortable. I’ve worked darn hard in my life to be able to afford some of the more comfortable things in life, no way am I going backwards.

I suppose to some people this may seem like a downgrade especially when you're currently in such big rigs with down riggers ect. I appreciate everyone's insight.

Nice write up!

I have a boat (at one time 3 but the wife says only 2....now down to 1....) and three years ago I bought a sit on top Perception Pescador Pro 120 12' kayak. It is designed as a fishing kayak with tracks for rod holders, a FF mount and battery holder, scuppers and tons of storage. Buy a different life jacket, a good quality paddle and a few odds and ends and you can be fishing.

I am strictly talking freshwater as I am a long way from salt and only get out there once a year.

I now reach for the kayak more than the boat as I can be on the water in half the time as getting the boat ready. It is light weight, stable, easy in and out, catches fish just like the boat, can get into small lakes that the bigger boat has trouble with and I get some exercise from it!!

Biggest plus is that it make a pretty good duck hunting rig and I wouldn't hesitate to pack moose quarters out with it.

They are fun and addicting, especially for freshwater and smaller lakes

Cheers

SS

Nice write up!

I have a boat (at one time 3 but the wife says only 2....now down to 1....) and three years ago I bought a sit on top Perception Pescador Pro 120 12' kayak. It is designed as a fishing kayak with tracks for rod holders, a FF mount and battery holder, scuppers and tons of storage. Buy a different life jacket, a good quality paddle and a few odds and ends and you can be fishing.

I am strictly talking freshwater as I am a long way from salt and only get out there once a year.

I now reach for the kayak more than the boat as I can be on the water in half the time as getting the boat ready. It is light weight, stable, easy in and out, catches fish just like the boat, can get into small lakes that the bigger boat has trouble with and I get some exercise from it!!

Biggest plus is that it make a pretty good duck hunting rig and I wouldn't hesitate to pack moose quarters out with it.

They are fun and addicting, especially for freshwater and smaller lakes

Cheers

SS

I also have the same kayak as well! I love how light it is to move around!

Almost as appealing as fishing on a jet ski.

Jetski fishing is actually very big in Europe and Australia ect. The jetski fishing derbys are big money in australia.
Even seadoo joined in on the action in 2019 they released the Seadoo Fishpro with trolling modes, cooler and rod holder attachments. Extended casting deck ect. Once again this unit can take on water or flip over and you would still be fine to keep going.

Again i guess i'm a weirdo that will fish out of anything.

I would do lakes.. I'm old now! West coast diving I like my dry suit as well as my polar fleece onesies. In my 20's my buddy and I would run the canoe across the ice jumping back in whenever we hit unstable ice and open water so I Had balls.. I'll do windsurfing, waterskiing whatever on a somewhat warm lake with a 3 mm wet suit but, I wouldn't last long in the ocean..

Last edited:
Back