Status
Not open for further replies.
Out today from sooke from 10 to 1. No pictures to share as brought nothing home. Released two wilds and had two spit the hook at me beside the boat. One longgg line release. So some action. Gotta perfect my solo netting skills may just gaff the first fish tomorrow with wilds fair game. Fished off the bluffs in 350 to 430 FOW with all action coming 51 ‘ on DR pink hoochie got most action with one coming on green grand slam bucktail. Nice day out there. Full moon tonight but think I’ll giver a go tomorrow anyways same time period.

Was out yesterday from 12-330. Off the head in 550 fishing 70-80ft using green and silver flashers on bait or silver and green coho killer... coho killer actually brought in more than bait. Got a dozen to the boat and took home 2 8lb hatchery. I've slowed my trolling down to a 30-35 degree on the DR cable and it seems to be producing more? or I could just be finding the fish? placebo effect? either way ill stick to it for now. Heading out tomorrow, will update again. Anyone know what the limits on wild will be? 1 per day 2 possession?

Was out yesterday from 12-330. Off the head in 550 fishing 70-80ft using green and silver flashers on bait or silver and green coho killer... coho killer actually brought in more than bait. Got a dozen to the boat and took home 2 8lb hatchery. I've slowed my trolling down to a 30-35 degree on the DR cable and it seems to be producing more? or I could just be finding the fish? placebo effect? either way ill stick to it for now. Heading out tomorrow, will update again. Anyone know what the limits on wild will be? 1 per day 2 possession?
1 wild and 3 hatchery

Got out today fishing the same areas that were hot last week but found things had changed. What was working wasn’t today. Went from the head 575 ft to almost the buffs trying to find them but never really got on them. Even the shakers weren’t there. Had one bite around noon on a Coho killer That peeled some line and made a jump way out there then that scary feeling when it swims right at you as you reel as fast as you can while swearing. Luckily it was still on but went crazy near the boat which was making it hard to see that stupid little fin. I reach out grabbed the line, lifted it up by the hook and yes it’s a hatch. Straight into the cooler we’re it thrashed around. Kinda felt like the Chinook days were ya get one bite and that’s it. Not sure how others did as we were mostly away from the Pak but the radio was typical of releasing wilds and nothing in the tub.

Attachments

• DF8A5843-BD95-4A9C-9317-00D9566B1E72.jpeg
    DF8A5843-BD95-4A9C-9317-00D9566B1E72.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 108
it’s the same every year, good coho fishing up until wilds open and just before that poof big ones are gone up the river.

Out in the tick fog today, 10 to 1 again and i think in front of bluffs. Dropped a line down in a different spot then last few outings and bang nice 5 lb wild to the boat before could even get 2nd line set up. Got another three nice ones to the boat but all three spit the hook at me beside the boat. May rethink the size of the flasher and downsAlize to smaller size or dodger, they sure like to leverage the 11 incher once they hit the surface. Better still may need to try spoons with dummy flasher. Released three shakers. Fishing pink hoochie and green grand slam both with chunk of chovie on lead hook. all fish came at 51 ' on DR in 400 to 500 FOW. Try again this weekend and couple times next weekend.
On way back to Sunny Shores salmon were jumping like crazy near river mouth and Billings Spit. Assume the Spit gang might be gettting some fish, may need to give it a try from the boat next trip out.

Fished 8-1 today out of cheanuh in the fog. It was slow. One 9lb hatchery and smaller wild in the boat but just a few other rugs and shakers. Couldn't get a bite under 90' and didn't have that manic lure. Seemed most others same action, couple fish here and there. Full moon probably didnt help. Hopefully last weeks rain hasn't chased them to the rivers. Always found good coho fishing until mid October.

We put in a full day and ended up with our limit. We had 10 wild and 6 clipped to the boat, fishing off the Head from 400 out to 600. Most of our fish came on mint tulip or white hootchies down deep, 120 to 140 although we went through a quiet spell this pm at the height of the flood and I threw on my old commie favourite a 5 “ 109 plug at 75 feet and got 2 in a row. Here’s a pic of 7 in the bucket but we landed 1 more after this. Great day on the water!BDAF5447-12D3-47FF-81F7-D163CCAA6807.jpeg

Was out all day today from 10 to 5. Was pretty spotty picked up 4 coho and 3 hatchery one wild. Crazy amount of shakers around again.

Finished day off with some nice size crabs. Was a little slow just off secretary and bluffs in 450 to 500 ft water.

Last edited:
We didn’t start until 10 and fished until 2:30 today but could only find 2. I was interested to see they were full of 4 and 5 inch herring so no wonder my 5 inch plug worked yesterday.

Last edited:
Out for the first time in quite a while fried the kicker in August and don't go fishing with only one motor. Launched around 9:00 at Cheanuh and started trolling for Coho (2.2 mph on the speedo, with the ebb current was going 4 mph over the ground) when we got into 400 feet of water south of Beechy. Fished from 90 to 120 ft on the downrigger, Mint Tulip squirt behind a small Peetz flasher, the fish liked it! Ended up with 3 hatchery and 2 wilds mostly from 570 feet of water more or less south of Secretary. Quite a few small shakers seemed to interfere with the fishing, probably would have limited if I had checked and cleared the shakers off the lines more often Also found the clear UV hootchie to be effective. My buddy used anchovy and spend much of the time re-baiting, I wonder if the shakers were the ones going after the bait without getting hooked. The hatchery fish were 8lbs, the wild was 4, at the cleaning table they were all bucks, some with empty stomachs another with a couple of herring.

Out yesterday from 2-4:15. Started off the head in 450FOW with an instant double header! Oh yeah, boys, it's on! I got mine in, 10lb hatch, and my buddy loses his. He gets another on about 5 minutes after that, and lands a small wild. Then the tide really starts motoring and there's nothing we can do against it. Zig-zagging our way along we eventually pack up off Whirl Bay in 550FOW and haven't had a coho in over an hour. 4 shakers.

My hatch was on the lemon/lime glow Holy Roller (then the stupid coho broke the eye of the hook!) at 52 DR ft.
Practically all other fish (minus one shaker) was on the mint tulip needlefish hoochie in the 60-77 DR ft. His wild had an 8" fish in it! couldn't tell what it was, but it had firm white meat.

Probably get one more kick at the coho can before I'm done for the year. This has been the best coho season (for size) I've fished since I started in 2014. Not as many for me, but very chubby fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back