Shaft length for 23 Hourston pod

23Hourston

F399135D-8E59-4C5A-8559-7E3BD4E2C470.jpeg Well can’t seem to get a answer so here we go
25 or 30 inch shaft on podded Hourston and why. Regardless of choice I’d like to have the motor fully out of the water when raised..
I assume that’s an option ? Motor will be Single 300 suzuki.

Last edited:
Well some people say the downside is weight is a little higher with a xxl and the upside is the engine stays dry. I went 30"
Another plus with 25" is lots more used ones around.

Last edited:
I'm just going by what people on here told me? No experience, just a culmination of members options on here when I asked the question..

I see a lot of 25" pods at rest the swim grid is all most at water level. The 30" the swim grid sits a little higher and drier. This could all be, because of pod design though. Agree more 25's for sale

Don't know if you can see in the pik however this is 30" with inch engine rise per foot back. Original bottom paint when it was a CR guide boat with a fly bridge and 351 with alpha.

Attachments

• 20200811_173444.jpg
    20200811_173444.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 80
I got a friend in another 23 foot Hourston Going through Jenkins they’re building it for 30 inch leg I will call Jenkins tomorrow and get the lowdown. And share

I got a friend in another 23 foot Hourston Going through Jenkins they’re building it for 30 inch leg I will call Jenkins tomorrow and get the lowdown. And share

Thanks for this, it would be interesting to know what style of pod as well as materials they're building it out of. Sounds like glass if Jenkins is doing the work.

Little update talked to Tom at Jenkins for a bit today. Strongly recommending a 30 inch leg for bigger boats such as the 23. I asked him about some podded Hourstons I have seen high in the stern where some have added 400 pounds of lead to the rear. He said yes it’s very common to have to move things around to help with the balance especially with the Hurston’s as one can be built three days apart from another and have a big difference in Weight. He also recommends the transom hole being filled And was anywhere from $800-$1000.
Which they normally fill well the pod is off being powder coated after being built. I also heard from buddy with the other 23 there now they charge 500 for motor/ leg removal
Seems to me nailing the right stern height is all about the size of the flotation chamber of the pod also on suzuki ca sight the 30 inch was 500 more than the 25 inch. Off to do more research hopefully that was helpful For somebody doing the same. I wish I asked more why it need to be a 30 inch over 25. Next time I speak with him I will. Cheers. Side note looks like I got a 351 Merccruiser w/888 for sale with 2 or 3 spare legs and truck load of props

Last edited:
Back