Kayak Fishing

John Ingram

This can be the place to post anything related to Kayak fishing. Let us know what craft you have, Types of rod's ,line ,Lures or bait. Anything to do with Kayak fishin'

I've got a Hobie Revolution 13, rigged up as a troller. I have 2 scotty mounts on either side either for two rods pointing out to troll with weights or left side downrigger right side rod. Gear track on the left holds my Garmin Striker 4. The tackle I have is typical medium to big lake trout trolling stuff, and have recently gotten some teaser heads and flashers for spring and coho fishing.

On a side note we ought to petition to have our own kayak subforum. The BC subforum on NWKA is dead. I think this is important because our lifelines are each other, especially in the salt.

Last edited:
A01808E6-17B0-4BB6-BE38-80A2ED82B7B1.jpeg
I use the AI in the picture the most, usually for trolling but sometimes jig for bottom fish. I also have a 13 ‘ Revolution that I keep near my place for crabbing and jigging.

I've got a Hobie Passport and am just getting it rigged. Those of you who troll for salmon in the salt, what are you using for trolling rods and reels? I feel that a shorter rod is probably better. Right now I've got a Shimano TDR 9'6" paired with an Ambassadeur 7000C - leftovers from bar fishing on the Skeena. I think this is too big for the kayak. What are others using?

I had a 15'6 Hourston for 9 years on Vancouver Island, but now trying to fish in a closed double ocean kayak. Any suggestions on lure set ups for kayak fishing? I have been fishing a few times now out by Ambleside using a 6 or 8 oz slip weight in my double kayak about going the same speed as those who are trolling beside me), about 5' up from a flasher, then 4' down to a hoochie. I find that it appears my line isn't very deep - yes meaning I need more weight. But wondering if guys are using only spoons or anchovy with the slip weight or using the flasher also? We caught a wild small coho that we released, and maybe a massive fish that eventually I lost due to someone running into my line, almost me. Any insight?

I had a 15'6 Hourston for 9 years on Vancouver Island, but now trying to fish in a closed double ocean kayak. Any suggestions on lure set ups for kayak fishing? I have been fishing a few times now out by Ambleside using a 6 or 8 oz slip weight in my double kayak about going the same speed as those who are trolling beside me), about 5' up from a flasher, then 4' down to a hoochie. I find that it appears my line isn't very deep - yes meaning I need more weight. But wondering if guys are using only spoons or anchovy with the slip weight or using the flasher also? We caught a wild small coho that we released, and maybe a massive fish that eventually I lost due to someone running into my line, almost me. Any insight?
For summertime depths you should be ok. Once the winter springs go deep you’re better off jigging as you can get down to the depths the fish are at. I use a small manual downrigger and a 5 lb ball, sometimes 7 lb ball but go to jigs in the winter. I use a false flasher.

I went out today but missed a few small hits on anchovies. Using a slip weight seems tricky with the smaller fish as there's no clip that's popping out. I can see the value of having a downrigger

I run a downrigger, but want to experiment with a rig similar to yours with a 10oz slip weight, inline flasher, then anchovy. If you feel like you're not getting deep enough, you can try "trooching" which is essentially like mooching and trolling, where youre moving forward, speeding up and slowing down and letting the rig rise and sink.. The drop can often times trigger a hit.

Btw, are you the one with the white double sit-in kayak? I might've run into you once.

Ah @lingdinner . Good idea to try the mooching & trolling. I did take the plunge today & bought a deep diver, which I hope to try out on Friday.
Yup that's me with the double ocean sit-in kayak :) I might have to invest in a rod holder as balancing the rod & paddling is a bit tricky! I've fished at Ambleside 3 times now & perhaps seen you too.
(that's me in the back :))

Attachments

• image000008.jpg
    image000008.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 31
I have been kayak fishing for a long time (20 plus years) in my necky arluk III, an ocean touring kayak. I fish a mooching style with various setups. Flasher, anchovy 1 lb slip weight 33 pulls which I think gets me down to about 40- 60 feet on the drop. Often when touring I'll use, 2-12 oz banana weight and 6' leader to my favorite spoon or herring or anchovy for as long as they stay fresh. Sometimes I'll send down a wholly roller. I use just about all the slow troll techniques. Rod holder mounted in front of the cockpit. I'm kinda sad that kayak fishing is almost done for the year for me. Looking for coho in 200+ feet of water seems impractical without electronics to help find structure and baitfish schools. T squared, any suggestions as to kayak coho fishing in Sooke? My go too spot, just further out?
Thinking of buying a motorized fishing boat.
Z.

For summertime depths you should be ok. Once the winter springs go deep you’re better off jigging as you can get down to the depths the fish are at. I use a small manual downrigger and a 5 lb ball, sometimes 7 lb ball but go to jigs in the winter. I use a false flasher.

Hey @Tsquared , are you running the 7lb ball off a Scotty Lake Troller? I've run 6lb max but worry about its durability.

I've got a Hobie Passport and am just getting it rigged. Those of you who troll for salmon in the salt, what are you using for trolling rods and reels? I feel that a shorter rod is probably better. Right now I've got a Shimano TDR 9'6" paired with an Ambassadeur 7000C - leftovers from bar fishing on the Skeena. I think this is too big for the kayak. What are others using?

@SkeenaSlayer. Youre probably alright with a 9'6. I use an Okuma SST 10'6 med-action. It's helped me steer fish away from my rudder and DR cable. Also helps with line getting caught on bow or stern. Minus is its a handful land a fish without a big net..

I have been kayak fishing for a long time (20 plus years) in my necky arluk III, an ocean touring kayak. I fish a mooching style with various setups. Flasher, anchovy 1 lb slip weight 33 pulls which I think gets me down to about 40- 60 feet on the drop. Often when touring I'll use, 2-12 oz banana weight and 6' leader to my favorite spoon or herring or anchovy for as long as they stay fresh. Sometimes I'll send down a wholly roller. I use just about all the slow troll techniques. Rod holder mounted in front of the cockpit. I'm kinda sad that kayak fishing is almost done for the year for me. Looking for coho in 200+ feet of water seems impractical without electronics to help find structure and baitfish schools. T squared, any suggestions as to kayak coho fishing in Sooke? My go too spot, just further out?
Thinking of buying a motorized fishing boat.
Z.
Yes, I’ve done well on the coho at your homestead further out. Don’t be afraid to try right on the surface out there too, with a 2 oz. weight and a spoon. The most fun I’ve ever had out there was an early October day with about an 8 mph breeze so I put the sail up and bucktailed— it was great.

I’ve used 10# balls on the lake troll without issue. Was more worried about the gunnel on my tinny then the arm on the rigger.

Reactions: abl
I use pink ladies to get the gear down. Usually just pull bait in a head or a spoon as I feel flashers cause too much drag. The pink lady will get you to 40-60’...

Ah @lingdinner . Good idea to try the mooching & trolling. I did take the plunge today & bought a deep diver, which I hope to try out on Friday.
Yup that's me with the double ocean sit-in kayak :) I might have to invest in a rod holder as balancing the rod & paddling is a bit tricky! I've fished at Ambleside 3 times now & perhaps seen you too.
(that's me in the back :))

I've may have met you too, several weeks back.

I've got a Hobie Revolution 13, rigged up as a troller. I have 2 scotty mounts on either side either for two rods pointing out to troll with weights or left side downrigger right side rod. Gear track on the left holds my Garmin Striker 4. The tackle I have is typical medium to big lake trout trolling stuff, and have recently gotten some teaser heads and flashers for spring and coho fishing.

On a side note we ought to petition to have our own kayak subforum. The BC subforum on NWKA is dead. I think this is important because our lifelines are each other, especially in the salt.

Fantastic idea with the nwka. Sub forum here. This way I don't need multiple accounts

Back