Singing the E10 Blues

I’m not sure about Mohawk 91. I use chevron 93 in anything that sits for a while (boat, snowmobile, motorcycle, chainsaws etc). Never had any fuel issues.
I think sharp hooks is in Washington so no Mohawk for him.

Shell, Esso, Mohawk/Husky 91 and Chevron 94 supposedly have no ethanol in BC.

Of all the gas I've put in my boat I had to put some ethanol gas in it one time cause we were in a remote area and I forgot to put some in when we passed the last non ethanol gas station and there wasn't marine fuel for a 1 hr boat ride. Just that one time using ethanol gas left white crusty deposit in my outboard fuel filters. Pulled them out after that trip. Never ran ethanol gas again and changed my filters a month ago and had zero deposits in the outboard filters or the in line Raycor's.

I agree that its unusual looking for E10 phasing........my experience with E10 is black gunk not white?

At least the filters did their job but I would be running a day tank with fresh 94 and a dose of stabil thru those engines (injectors hate water) if it were me.....

Hopefully they do what they say and clean the tank well or your going to be needing a bulk lot of filters for a while.

Last edited:
Just a quick update—- I pulled the boat yesterday and the manufacturer came and picked it up. This morning they pulled the fuel sender and pumped approx. 400 liters of gas out of the tank

Here’s a screen shot of the inside of the tank—-note the white scum on the bottom of the tank. They scrubbed the tank out with denatured alcohol

IMG_7419.jpg

The suspicion at this point: a faulty gas tank cap that allowed for salt water intrusion

I posted a picture of what was in the bowl of that Raycor cup on another site and several guys responded that the white butter was not from E10 but appeared to be from salt water mixing with the gas

Sounds plausible??? Anybody ever seen this ?

Just a quick update—- I pulled the boat yesterday and the manufacturer came and picked it up. This morning they pulled the fuel sender and pumped approx. 400 liters of gas out of the tank

Here’s a screen shot of the inside of the tank—-note the white scum on the bottom of the tank. They scrubbed the tank out with denatured alcohol

View attachment 57361

The suspicion at this point: a faulty gas tank cap that allowed for salt water intrusion

I posted a picture of what was in the bowl of that Raycor cup on another site and several guys responded that the white butter was not from E10 but appeared to be from salt water mixing with the gas

Sounds plausible??? Anybody ever seen this ?

Yep. and it was a 2400XL sea sport as well. here’s the weird thing: only one tank was affected . boat had a merc Verado and it would completely shut down the second it detected water. left us stranded a looong way from home more than once.

What makes you suspect the gas tank cap? Could salt water also get in through the breather vent?

I’m not 100% sure but I noticed the cap was hard to thread back on and when I inspected I saw some residual white crystal that looked like salt water

One of the owners took the boat out for an albacore trip in late August—-the suspicion is he dumped E10 in the tank, then didn’t thread the cap back on properly and went boating in sloppy weather for 5 hours+. The cap is exposed on the transom...perfect place for spray to get in

But you’re right...not 100% sure how it got in there....another guy on a different site said he’s seen that white butter in a filler bowl before and it was tracked down to a faulty breather vent

Here’s what the cap looked like when I pulled it:

IMG_20200922_095421.jpg

That’s great service from the manufacturer to get it done fast and properly for you, what a relief.

Looks like you’ll have a chance to get your coho yet!

I had to put a clamshell over my air vent as I was taking salt water down it in gnarly conditions

I’m getting it back tomorrow with a full tank of marine grade. Here’s a shot of the cleaned tank—-they got some denatured alcohol in there to get all that white scum out

First thing I’m going to check: tank breather vent

I have difficulty believing the salt water intrusion came through the gas filler cap, too

IMG_7425.jpg

I’m getting it back tomorrow with a full tank of marine grade. Here’s a shot of the cleaned tank—-they got some denatured alcohol in there to get all that white scum out

First thing I’m going to check: tank breather vent

I have difficulty believing the salt water intrusion came through the gas filler cap, too

View attachment 57415
I’ve heard of faulty gas caps very often. I wouldn’t rule it out. It might not be faulty but maybe someone forgot to tighten it up properly

i am guessing the tuna trip made a good test of the vent and cap... weak points for sure.

I got the boat back today. Northwest Marine Industries pumped the tank, polished it, changed all the fuel lines, primer bulbs and in-line fuel/water filters and if that wasn’t enough, delivered the boat with just under 700 liters of marine grade....

And on top of that, fished some cables for my Furuno

Talk about doing the right thing....and then some....

It’s a stunner of a boat and it sure makes me feel good that they got all the crap out of the tank

I heard his partner ran five hours through big water back from the tuna grounds. They’re 98% sure that’s where the water got in. And I didn’t know this but gas tanks have negative pressure so if theres a faulty seal (“O” ring in the gas cap) it sucks the water right in. I inspected the fuel vent—-loop is secure, they use the same vent on all their boats with no problem so things sure do point to the filler cap

I ran it hard today and both Suzukis run like sewing machines.....I’ve never been a dues paying member of the 65 kph boat club but this boat is so stable that you just want to keep applying throttle to see what it’ll do.

I felt uncomfortable in my last boat (Skagit Orca) at that speed because the ride was so tender. This boat has those ZipWake electric servo motor tabs— on “auto” mode, you don’t have to do anything other then apply throttle and enjoy the ride. Night and day from the Orca.

Last edited:
I got the boat back today. Northwest Marine Industries pumped the tank, polished it, changed all the fuel lines, primer bulbs and in-line fuel/water filters and if that wasn’t enough, delivered the boat with just under 700 liters of marine grade....

It’s a stunner of a boat and it sure makes me feel good that they got all the crap out of the tank

I heard his partner ran five hours through big water back from the tuna grounds. They’re 98% sure that’s where the water got in. And I didn’t know this but gas tanks have negative pressure so if theres a faulty seal (“O” ring in the gas cap) it sucks the water right in. I inspected the fuel vent—-loop is secure, they use the same vent on all their boats with no problem so thing sure do point to the filler cap

I ran it hard today and both Suzukis run like sewing machines.....I’ve never been a dues paying member of the 65 kph boat club but this boat is so stable that you just want to keep applying throttle to see what it’ll do.

I felt uncomfortable in my last boat (Skagit Orca) at that speed because the ride was so tender. This boat has those ZipWake electric servo motor tab— on “auto” mode, you don’t have to do anything other then apply throttle and enjoy the ride. Night and day from the Orca.
Sounds amazing!

I heard his partner ran five hours through big water back from the tuna grounds. They’re 98% sure that’s where the water got in. And I didn’t know this but gas tanks have negative pressure so if theres a faulty seal (“O” ring in the gas cap) it sucks the water right in. I inspected the fuel vent—-loop is secure, they use the same vent on all their boats with no problem so thing sure do point to the filler cap

I felt uncomfortable in my last boat (Skagit Orca) at that speed because the ride was so tender. This boat has those ZipWake electric servo motor tab— on “auto” mode, you don’t have to do anything other then apply throttle and enjoy the ride. Night and day from the Orca.
Excellent! That sounds like a company that values their customers A+! Have fun with your new beauty of a boat. Congrats

Do you think a Zipwake install on your Orca would have made a big difference? I have a 24’ Sea Sport and feel like I am always on my trim tabs constantly adjusting.

Do you think a Zipwake install on your Orca would have made a big difference? I have a 24’ Sea Sport and feel like I am always on my trim tabs constantly adjusting.

I honestly don't know how those Zipwakes would have been on the Orca...this is literally the first Seasport I have ever set foot on so I don't have much to compare the ride to. On top of that the Orca had a big single and the Seasport has twins, so it could be that twins tend to balance the ride out more. All of this technology (ZipWake, Optimus360, Seastation) is completely new to me so I'm feeling my way around. I have throttled up on the twins and forgot to turn on the Zipwake power and the boat still seemed pretty stable. If I had tried that on the Orca it would have been get out the rosary beads because the boat wouldn't have let me get away with that.

On the first test drive I took on the Kodiak, the NMI guy was running the boat with Zipwakes in "auto" and I purposely got up and moved around the boat...there was almost zero effect on trim....the Zipwakes reacted automatically to adjust...there's a gyro in there that reacts to both pitch and roll

The helmsman did a hard' over panic mode turn to show the "recovery" ...there was a bit of lag (boat leaning hard to port) which he promptly adjusted in manual mode

If you do a search, people who have them installed say it's the best $$ they ever dropped into that hole in the water so there's that....it would be interesting to see how they perform on an Orca with a big single because that's the squirreliest boat i've ever run

Are you running twins on your 24?

Back