Virgin Boat Launch

Dgsafe

Just got possession of my brand new 622 WA. Any recommendations for first time launch this weekend if the weather holds French creek, Beachcomber, Schooner, or Brechin?
Want to have no issues parking or launching , any recommendations or advice please
Excited but nervous

Attachments

• 3052C1E3-3B58-472D-9B04-5E59ECDE9172.jpeg
    3052C1E3-3B58-472D-9B04-5E59ECDE9172.jpeg
    486 KB · Views: 233
Congrats!

NOT Beachcomber. Schooner is okay if tide is not low but parking has become an issue. FC should be fine now that fishing has slowed...parking can be tight.

Congrats on your sweet boat!

I use Brechin all the time as I am in Nanaimo. It has three docks which is great. They are big docks so they can hold a few boats each, unless it’s really low tide. Lots of parking. And you just pay the hourly rate which is pretty cheap. Doubt it will busy there. it is very sheltered. Lots to explore close: Departure Bay, Nanaimo Harbour if windy and if it decent go check out the Gabriola Island or out to Pipers Lagoon. All within 10 min.

Very sexy boat bud, nothing like a virgin launch.
Enjoy your day.

Congrats, very nice boat!

Congrats on the new ride. Looks great. As others have said Brechin boat launch would be my choice for a first time launch. There is lots of space with three separate docks and you can launch at all tides, which would work with whatever schedule you have. Then there is a high pressure wash to clean off your boat after you get her back on the trailer. Good luck and have fun.

Oly

best advice is to go to a empty parking lot or vacant lot and practice backing up and turning etc . especially backing up USE your mirrors once you get it it becomes second nature... also start with your hand at the very bottom of steering wheel when backing it take practice but you ll get it

just found this video what i was talking about

best advice is to go to a empty parking lot or vacant lot and practice backing up and turning etc . especially backing up USE your mirrors once you get it it becomes second nature... also start with your hand at the very bottom of steering wheel when backing it take practice but you ll get it
Thanks for the heads up, backing up is the easy part , I have had a class 1 air ticket since 1984, it’s all the other stuff. Buoys , markers, getting lost lol
Thanks

I’ve seen this so many times at my local launch. Lol[
STERN PLUG!!!!

There, I capitalized it for you. (Spoken like a guy who’s left his out a time or two)
installed the plug already and have 5 spares in the boat, just in case
Gonna do Brechin, then head out around the outside of Gabriola to Galiano, then if all looks good, head back over to Ballenas, nervous about the “whisky gulf “area, don’t want to get shot out of the water.
I figured if I go to the outside of five finger island , keep close to Lantzville then go between Ada & Winchelsea and head towards Ballenas, putt around there on the kicker for awhile , I need to put some hours on both motors
Thoughts ? Thanks again for all the help here

installed the plug already and have 5 spares in the boat, just in case
Gonna do Brechin, then head out around the outside of Gabriola to Galiano, then if all looks good, head back over to Ballenas, nervous about the “whisky gulf “area, don’t want to get shot out of the water.
I figured if I go to the outside of five finger island , keep close to Lantzville then go between Ada & Winchelsea and head towards Ballenas, putt around there on the kicker for awhile , I need to put some hours on both motors
Thoughts ? Thanks again for all the help here

you’re over thinking it amigo! relax and enjoy. grab a boat hook for when you are coming in and docking. this way you can just get the boat close and pulll it in with the hook so you don’t bang the dock and give your new boat a dock rash.
eventually you’ll be able to drive up to the dock at power and angle, put the boat in reverse and back into the dock like a boss.

but for now...boat hook!

but do check the wind as well

Something that makes things much easier is to put your tail gate down, way easier to see what’s going on behind you. Just make sure the trailer post won’t contact on real tight turns, but it shouldn’t and you shouldn’t have to be cranking super sharp turns any how. This is a huge help.

Have everything ready to go before getting to the launch such as the plug in, ropes and fenders. Don’t unhook anything until you’ve backed down to the water line, then put your truck in park e brake on and get out in hook pass ropes to your partner. Back in slowly until deep enough and give a tap of the break to set boat free.

I would also recommend brechin boat launch in Nanaimo for the first few times, it’s very nice. I launch at French creek and it’s good also but not near as nice and easy as Nanaimo

Thanks for the heads up, backing up is the easy part , I have had a class 1 air ticket since 1984, it’s all the other stuff. Buoys , markers, getting lost lol
Thanks
Well you asked about launching and parking ??? was only trying to help

Something that makes things much easier is to put your tail gate down, way easier to see what’s going on behind you. Just make sure the trailer post won’t contact on real tight turns, but it shouldn’t and you shouldn’t have to be cranking super sharp turns any how. This is a huge help.

100% !

Back