Haibut

Got some Juneish 2019 hali in the freezer , with tight vacume wrap, should it still be ok eat ?

S-VII
For sure as long as it's not freezer burnt. You can tell if the packaging is loose anywhere and the fish looks pale and dried out looking. If you thaw it and it's moist and smells good then you'll be fine. We just finished our last years Halibut and Lings a week ago and are moving on to this years fish now.

Yup just did some two nights ago that was from Aug 2019. Was still vacuum sealed very tight. Trimmed some of the slight brown off the edge. Battered them up and had fish and chips with potatoes from the garden. Mmmmm mmmm darn good eats we had.

boil some diced potatoes in fish stock
throw in some chopped carrots, onions and celery
add pepper corns, bay leaves, old bay and whatever else.
Add some homemade tomato/vegetable soup
When potatoes are done, throw in the halibut cut in 1" cubes.
add other seafood or don't.

Attachments

• Hali soup s.jpg
    Hali soup s.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 29
Yup , just deep fried some Jun 2019 Hali, that was just vacum sealed and frozen. It had a bit stronger smell and not as tasty as fresh (but maybe all in my head) but it was still as good as any I've tasted from Trolls or Dave's , all good after 18 months !!

This is my go-to halibut recipe (other than fish and chips). Kids absolutely love it. Also works great with ling cod

Massive tip prior to freezing your halibut fillets, or any other lean fish for that matter. Brine the fillets in a 5% salt water solution for 1 hour, rinse and pat dry. Better to freeze skin on as well.
Freezing halibut is obviously not ideal as it has no fat/oil, so by the time it’s thawed it’s lost so much natural moisture. Brining it pumps it full of moisture so by the time you thaw it, it will seem a lot closure to fresh in texture and flavour by the time it’s cooked. Wouldn’t keep any seafood in the freezer past 9 months, and if freezer burnt just trim it down.
enjoy ~

Take a small piece of Hali and lay it on 5 sheets of 4 " x 4" inch Phyllo that has been spread with butter. Place a small piece of Brie cheese on top and top with sweet Thai chilli sauce. Wrap tightly and bake at 375 till Phyllo is brown. Delicious!

Massive tip prior to freezing your halibut fillets, or any other lean fish for that matter. Brine the fillets in a 5% salt water solution for 1 hour, rinse and pat dry. Better to freeze skin on as well.
Freezing halibut is obviously not ideal as it has no fat/oil, so by the time it’s thawed it’s lost so much natural moisture. Brining it pumps it full of moisture so by the time you thaw it, it will seem a lot closure to fresh in texture and flavour by the time it’s cooked. Wouldn’t keep any seafood in the freezer past 9 months, and if freezer burnt just trim it down.
enjoy ~
How are you calculating the 5% Salt? If I ever get a halibut again I’ll give it a try lol

Back