How many Northern Pikeminnow can I retain?

A

Azim Shariff

I'm new to fishing and I caught a small fish I identified as a Northern Pikeminnow a few days ago. I put it back in the water because I heard they're trash and I couldn't find "Northern Pikeminnow" anywhere in the regulations.

I'm confused, how do I know how many I can catch if they aren't mentioned in the regs? To my knowledge, they don't fall into any category or group of species (like whitefish, for example) and they aren't invasive.

Where can I find this information?

Go to non tidal fishing regulations for BC....

Thanks for your reply! As I said in my original post, there is no mention of Northern Pikeminnow anywhere in the regulations. The word "pikeminnow" isn't in the document at all, hence, my confusion.

Please read my post and actually consider my question before replying.

Hmmmmm weird I found it in 2 minutes.......
Page 4

Screenshot_20200922-112803_Drive.jpg

All the information you need is right here.
Like @leaseman said. Read the regs.
It's good to print a whole copy, read it and familiar yourself with it.

Good luck!

I'm still confused, I've been hunting for years, and I definitely know how to read regs. I also have a PDF copy on my phone while I'm out there.

I see Northern Pike here, not Northern Pikeminnow. They're different species. What am I missing? :S

I'm still confused, I've been hunting for years, and I definitely know how to read regs. I also have a PDF copy on my phone while I'm out there.

I see Northern Pike here, not Northern Pikeminnow. They're different species. What am I missing? :S

Yep your right. I did a quick a read on that one.
I will see if I can find anymore information.

Yep your right. I did a quick a read on that one.
I will see if I can find anymore information.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I was starting to doubt myself because all of the replies were making it out to be something so simple. I exhausted the regulations before writing here. It seems like people fish for them (though they're undesirable) I don't understand why there's no mention of them anywhere.

If not in the regs, then catch all you want, but they are bony buggers and they don't have a ton of meat due to the bones. But if you just like catching fish or want to get kids into fishing, NPM are the fish to target. They can get big too; seen them up to 3 lbs and they fight pretty good!

Cheers

SS

Thanks guys,

I was confused because I saw some other fish in other regions that have an unlimited quota but these guys are just not mentioned. I thought I was missing something. With hunting, it's the opposite, if it isn't mentioned, but can't hunt it at all.

I'm gonna go practice fishing on some pikeminnows now and try eating them.

Thanks all!!

Thanks for your reply! As I said in my original post, there is no mention of Northern Pikeminnow anywhere in the regulations. The word "pikeminnow" isn't in the document at all, hence, my confusion.

Please read my post and actually consider my question before replying.

Hello Azam-

I am considering your question and trying to help you from embarrassing yourself.

I, along with most members here will look up the regulations first, with no luck, would make a phone call.

There is a handful here I would ask, but they are guys I have known for years....

Can you picture the DFO, CO, or RCMP asking you why you have "X" number of fish? Especially when you reply "George from sportfishingbc said it was okay"????

Phone the governing body, ask the question, get the persons name, even better have them send you an e-mail. Then you are good to go!!

Well I don’t think I’m “embarrassing myself” by asking some guys from the community a question... you didn’t understand my question at all with your first post.

I ask in places like this because I’ve never talked to anyone from any government local or federal that’s been able to provide any information beyond what’s in the regs but maybe you’ve been luckier.

Thanks for your help. I think I’ve got the answer I need but I’m gonna take your advice and send off an e-mail, too. I agree that’s a good way to go.

The limit on Northern Pikeminnow(and other non-game fish) comes up comes up quite often on forums. This is something that should be clearly addressed in the regulations to help clear up any confusion. As I understand it, quotas apply only to "game fish" (they're listed in the regs. under definitions) and "protected species", (where, of course, the "protected species" quota is zero). So there's no limit on pikeminnow as they are not listed as a "game fish" nor are they a "protected species" in B.C. Note: the "it is unlawful to" -- "Waste the fish you catch" still applies .

Back