All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
B.C.'s chief health officer says she's received death threats, abuse

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...th-threats-during-covid-19-response-1.5734809

Sep 22, 2020

The chief provincial health officer in B.C. says she's received death threats during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Dr. Bonnie Henry says she has also received abusive letters and her staff has been harassed, all of which has caused concern for her personal safety.

"There are many people who don't like what I do, or don't like the way I say it, or don't like my shoes and feel quite able to send me nasty notes, to leave phone calls, to harass my office staff," she said during a panel presentation at the Union of B.C. Municipalities.

"I've had to have security in my house. I've had death threats. How do we deal with that?''

Henry says she believes the attacks are partly because she is a woman in a high-profile position, and people feel comfortable targeting her in ways they would not necessarily target a male leader.

"I sense that people find that it's OK for a woman who is upfront more so than some of our male leaders. But I could be wrong — maybe it is that we just don't talk about it."

Henry has become a national figure during her time leading B.C.'s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Her comments about the death threats came during a panel presentation on leadership during the pandemic, where she was speaking alongside Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin and former Tsawwassen chief Kim Baird.

She said it's important to have open discussions while trying to mentor the next generation of leaders.

"If we're going to go bring up the next generation of diverse and confident leaders, we need to be able to talk about those things. We need to be able to make it not OK for any of us to get that type of abuse, really," said Henry.

Victoria Police say they're aware of the threats made to Henry, adding they take them seriously and are conducting a risk assessment to determine the nature of the threats.

Const. Cam MacIntyre said it is disappointing Henry and her staff have had to experience "this type of ignorance" while dealing with the global pandemic.

Thursday weekly update

covid19_hsda_cumulative_14days_20200924.png

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data

British Columbia Weekly COVID-19 Surveillance Report September 18 – September 24, 2020

Key Findings
BC continues to experience a high number of COVID-19 cases with an increasing number of hospitalizations. The number of new cases reported this week (880) increased compared to last week (833).
The number of active cases (1,371) has decreased compared to last week (1,705).
The most likely source of infection remains contact with a local case or cluster, with a large proportion of recent cases still pending exposure information.
The median age of cases has decreased since the beginning of the pandemic (55 years down to 38 years).
Case counts in most age groups have increased this week, with the exception of the 20-29, 30-39 years, and 50-59 years age groups.
The number of new hospital admissions has stabilized in recent weeks, with the number of cases currently in hospital similar to the numbers observed in early May.
The number of cases currently in critical care is also stabilizing and is still much lower than counts observed in phase 1

index.php

http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/BC_Surveillance_Summary_Sept 24 2020_final.pdf

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-school-aged-covid-19-cases-late-september-1.5738030

Some good news for folks who have kids going back to school. Obviously its still early, but positive news. I think Alberta started a couple weeks sooner than BC? Regardless, its nice to see some positive news.

Im sure the teachers union will have a different spin on this ;)
It's sad that no matter what is going on in the world the unions will always use it as a way to increase membership. They really don't seem to hide the fact that the model is broken and they're all wondering who the hell is going to pay for all those pensions.

The 10 minute version to Dr. Henry's Thursday briefing.

Pretty disappointing to see the teacher slandering. How about thanking them for going back to school and doing their job teaching which is allowing others to focus on their work and get the economy back going.

COVID-19 screening update: B.C. students with runny nose, headache or sore throat can now go to school

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/covid-19-scre...or-sore-throat-can-now-go-to-school-1.5114490

upload_2020-9-25_13-48-40.png

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/children/symptoms.html
The most common symptoms of COVID-19 in children are fever and cough.
The symptoms of COVID-19 are similar in adults and children and can look like other common illnesses, like colds, strep throat, or allergies. The most common symptoms of COVID-19 in children are fever and cough, but children may have any of these signs or symptoms of COVID-19:

• Fever or chills
  • Cough
  • Nasal congestion or runny nose
  • New loss of taste or smell
  • Sore throat
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Diarrhea
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Stomachache
  • Tiredness
  • Headache
  • Muscle or body aches
  • Poor appetite or poor feeding, especially in babies under 1 year old

Last edited:
40 minutes and time well spent with our neighbours treasure.

The teachers are amazing. The unions can go to hell.

One of those necessary evils in my mind. Without them, Teachers would be abused for sure. That being said, this is probably a little off-topic. I am just happy they are really putting themselves out there right now with all the kids surrounding them. Definitely more risk being a teacher than my office job. So props to them and the other jobs that have to face the public on the regular.

You do realize every time these government workers that come in contact with a person with covid 19 ,get a hardship check on top wages.it pays for them to test people.

Edmonton International Airport to pilot rapid-response COVID-19 saliva test

The Edmonton International Airport is working with a local company on a pilot program to trial a new COVID-19 test that the company says can produce results in seconds.

EIA said it has been selected as the exclusive location to host clinical trials of a coronavirus test that uses a saliva sample from a person and produces a positive or negative result in less than one minute.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7355724/...-airport-covid-19-saliva-test-clinical-trial/

The 10 minute version of the Monday briefing.

Probably the most telling metric of where we are at now

COVID-19 in B.C.: 125 more cases as hospitalizations top 70 for first time since early May

BC appears to have leveled off at ~100 new cases a day, active case counts are dropping and hospitalization/ICU are half what they were in April when we had similar new case counts. Two notable things happened in September and the results are apparent now: students returned to school and nightclub closures/pub hours trimmed back.

Return to school got folks in a tizzy as hitherto compliant British Columbians collectively cried, "But my kids are special!" We can expect there to be a few schools temporarily closed over the coming months as infections pop up, it's inevitable and not a failure. This was the experience in Australia and other southern hemisphere countries over their winter. Here in BC we've had three weeks of classes so far and cases have leveled off rather than spiking.

The closure of bars and banquet halls shows the health ministry is reviewing contact tracking data very carefully. They identified a problem area and shut it off. Trimming back hours in pubs and reducing music/TV volume is a surgical approach that appears to have brought results without a blanket shutdown. Quebec and Ontario are still contemplating such measures but meanwhile have brought down the heavy hand with police empowered to enter residences where they suspect a gathering of more than ten people.

In BC our fundamentals remain strong: new cases leveling off, hospitalizations low compared to active cases, contact tracing and testing capacity expanded and working well. I can't adequately express how fortunate we are to have expert professional leadership in the public health field, and likewise that the BC government listens to them and acts when directed. Those changes to bar and pub rules a few weeks back were minor in terms of overall provincial economy yet have slowed a growing trend. QC and ON still thinking about it, now probably too late for the surgical approach. If only they'd listened to their public health experts.

Thursday update starts at 2:16 minute mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back