Anyone running a 14 smokecraft Alaskan

spring fever

I know the max hp for this boat is 35-anyone running anything else? Curious about performance with a bit smaller OB-say a 20 hp? It is stock-no floorboards etc.

I know the max hp for this boat is 35-anyone running anything else? Curious about performance with a bit smaller OB-say a 20 hp? It is stock-no floorboards etc.

my old boss has that exact boat. had an older 15 yamaha two stroke on it and it pushed it along just fine. we used it for crabbing so boat would be loaded with traps and a couple of guys and sometimes the kids. they are a great boat very well made. i found that when solo a little ballast of spare tank up front was needed but that’s a tinny for ya

To much motor for a boat that size a 15 would be much better suited. A 20 would be ok as well. Most in this country that run 14’ boats run 9.9’s or 15’s on them. Like I say a 20 would be ok as well but a 35 is to heavy and really not needed.

Just for reference I’ve owned a couple 14’ and a couple 12’ and about 4 different 16’ aluminum boats, I currently own 2 16’ footers.

I have a 14 foot lund with floorboards, perhaps it's about the same weight. I have a Honda 4 stroke 20 HP on mine. It's OK but next time I re-power, I am going at least to a 25. It's pretty baggy in the hole shot and takes a spell to get up on plane. Once it's up on plane, it's good though.

My boat cruises at 32KMH with two men and their gear.

Before the jet boats became the norm on the Fraser the standard was a 14’ aluminum with a 25hp. A perfect lightweight package for lakes and large rivers.

Springfever: I have a 14 foot Duroboat that is rated for 25 hp. It has a 15 hp Honda on it, has floorboards, battery, and a fair bit of gear in it at all times. This boat was used for years fishing out of Sooke for salmon and also fished dozens of trips at Bamfield. The 15 is plenty loaded like this with one person, however adding a second heavier person plus a bunch of fish makes the 15 underpowered and barely adequate. If I was re-powering I would go 20 hp for my Duroboat, for an Alaskan rated for 35 hp I would go at least 20 hp and likely 25 hp providing the weight increase isn't too much.
...Rob

I downsized to the “deep” version of the 14’ Silverstreak open boat and went with max rating 30hp. A deeper and heavier boat than the Smokercraft but it certainly isn’t overpowered when two big guys, riggers, cannonballs, cooler and gear are loaded up. It would probably be fine on small to medium lakes with as little as 20hp on it, but not for the big lakes like Shu and Adams or the salt. With the 30, and care and attention to load/weight distribution, no problems getting on step and have a 2-person/fully loaded WOT pushing 30mph (I can get bit over if “bare bones” and flat water).

I think one of the the key considerations with these smaller, open boats is ability to get on plane reasonably quickly and the ability to stay on plane w/o too much throttle. My father is a VERY large man who had a 14’ Lund SSV w/ 20hp he used almost daily on Sheridan Lake for years. With his 300++ lbs at the stern getting on step was a chore for that engine until he put hydrofoils on the leg. After that, he had no probs getting on step and staying there w/ 20hp. Anyway, something to consider if you want to stay below max hp.

Cheers!

Ukee

I have a 12' Sylvan Alaskan, which to my knowledge is built by smoker craft as the decal on the transom says Smokercraft not Sylvan. I have a 2006 honda 20hp on it and I get about 25mph with 2 people in the boat. If you think you will be packing 3 or 4 people at times or carrying lots of stuff id go as big as possible. With anything more then just 2 people it is a challenge to get on plane requires shifting weigh temporarily to get it going. Once on plane it is good.

Hope that helps!

I have a 12' Sylvan Alaskan, which to my knowledge is built by smoker craft as the decal on the transom says Smokercraft not Sylvan. I have a 2006 honda 20hp on it and I get about 25mph with 2 people in the boat. If you think you will be packing 3 or 4 people at times or carrying lots of stuff id go as big as possible. With anything more then just 2 people it is a challenge to get on plane requires shifting weigh temporarily to get it going. Once on plane it is good.

Hope that helps!

Starting to think 25hp might be the way to go. Thanks for all the help Guys!!

Back