Steering Solutions while trolling

Tips, I know most guys don't like trolling off the main
but once you get used to it you would never go back to a kicker.
Quieter, more direct control and these new 4 strokes have no problem
with idling for hours.
IMO BEST solution but will the OP consider it?

Tips, I know most guys don't like trolling off the main
but once you get used to it you would never go back to a kicker.
Quieter, more direct control and these new 4 strokes have no problem
with idling for hours.
Yes it worked well. I will do so when solo or in tough conditions while I play with other options. Last main lasted from 1991 till this year and still going strong when I sold it. The idea of racking up hours kills me. Lol.

I have to think there is different leverage based on where connecting bar is mounted. I will get a longer rod and try connecting front of motor rather than steering arm to see if it makes a difference.

I think you're comparing old 2 stroke technology to modern 4 stroke
2 different breeds... ;)
Comes from same bank account. Lol.
You are probably right though.
At this point it’s not like there is a lot of torque. Just once it starts turning it spins. I tried a red neck auto pilot also. Seemed to work but only to hold straight. So not as good as fishing from main. EC44AA89-4097-40B4-A242-4F2F815C5DD1.jpeg

Comes from same bank account. Lol.
You are probably right though.
At this point it’s not like there is a lot of torque. Just once it starts turning it spins. I tried a red neck auto pilot also. Seemed to work but only to hold straight. So not as good as fishing from main. View attachment 57298

so this pic above would indicate that your steering wheel is turning ? if simply keeping your wheel straight solves your problems then you should re-read my previous post. it will work. not cheap probably a $700 bill but anti backlash steering helm will fix this

If it was mine I would try putting some foam between the steering wheel and the bezel to add a little friction just like a drag washer on a reel. You could hold it there with a zip tie and adjust it with pressure on the zip tie till your steering stiffens up over time.

so this pic above would indicate that your steering wheel is turning ? if simply keeping your wheel straight solves your problems then you should re-read my previous post. it will work. not cheap probably a $700 bill but anti backlash steering helm will fix this
Thanks for this. at $700 I am getting close to hydrolic steering which should resolve the issue and have a few more benefits.
Still trouble shooting but understanding the issue more as I go. Especially after last night.
I think next step is to get a longer rod and try it. I'm thinking that the kicker attached near the end of steering arm of main is may be pushing that arm in causing the turn. I'd like to see how attaching to the bracket at center of main changes things. That is where it was attached on my old main.

Thanks for this. at $700 I am getting close to hydrolic steering which should resolve the issue and have a few more benefits.
Still trouble shooting but understanding the issue more as I go. Especially after last night.
I think next step is to get a longer rod and try it. I'm thinking that the kicker attached near the end of steering arm of main is may be pushing that arm in causing the turn. I'd like to see how attaching to the bracket at center of main changes things. That is where it was attached on my old main.

Yep i get it. you have all the hardware already; you prolly only need a chunk of thread rod. you might need to throw a “Kink” in it so it clears your main cowling with out binding and scratching it. good luck. nothing worse than a boat that wanders all over the place

What you need is a bidirectional steering load dampener to absorb torque in the system. The best ones allow a bit of a nudge in either direction but return your wheel to centre, or wherever you set it. I got one from Cabela's on sale last year that uses about 5 pounds of lead mass to offset the steering input torque. It's a high tech solution but overall I think it's worth the technical effort necessary to implement it.

2020-09-20 14.13.03.jpg

What you need is a bidirectional steering load dampener to absorb torque in the system. The best ones allow a bit of a nudge in either direction but return your wheel to centre, or wherever you set it. I got one from Cabela's on sale last year that uses about 5 pounds of lead mass to offset the steering input torque. It's a high tech solution but overall I think it's worth the technical effort necessary to implement it.

View attachment 57327
Patent Pending...

View attachment 57327
Nice! Market competition for my Bungee AP System.
Good to see I am not alone with the problem or creative solutions.

Well.. 4 years later... cable is sloppy so time to replace. Stepping up to hydrolic. Looking forward to the benefits. Will report back after install.

Well.. 4 years later... cable is sloppy so time to replace. Stepping up to hydrolic. Looking forward to the benefits. Will report back after install
You will love it But fyi up at lodge we had a rope to tie it off as well rack sterring sucks LOL

Back