Painting a Tinny

spring fever

Just got a new tinny (new to me) and the paint is worse than bad. I have a covid winter facing me and plan on painting it. It will be down to bare alum all over. I realize it needs an etching primer and then a top coat possibly followed by a clear. I start looking for recommendations and the ones I find all have big drawbacks or you can't get them here. Anybody have any experience with products I can get on the island?? Its a 14 ft Alaskan. Thanks

white or grey spray on bedliner.

Reactions: NDT
I painted a 12’ tinny years ago before I knew much about painting aluminum. I just used Blue Tremclad rust paint. Worked very well and is still on there.
I also did a dinghy with help from Alberni fisher on here. Sanded, then etched, then an epoxy primer followed by Kiwi grip for the floor. Pricey stuff but worked great

Last edited:
If you strip all the old paint off and scuff the aluminum lightly with a wire wheel, Rustoleum aluminum primer works. You can paint over it with a color coat. I think Home Depot still has it. Just rattle cans work pretty well unless you have a spray gun - better.

Any colour you like, as long as it's camo!

I painted my old tinny two years ago. I used Cloverdale self-priming machine and engine paint, and just brushed it on over the old paint, after a light sanding of any rough spots. It has a pretty hard finish and has stood up well for two years. Not a show finish by any stretch but good enough for a bang-around boat.

How about not painting it? Paint does not last well on aluminum so I say don't paint it as you will just need to paint it again in the future if you do.

Strip/ sand or ideally blast (leave a rough finish), and paint Right away. If it sits, etch. Aluminum oxide forms fast. Use a two part epoxy such as gluv-it or coat-it. Once the epoxy is tacky cover with a polyurethane based paint. Most epoxys dont like direct exposure to UV. Or if you let the epoxy dry, rough sand it and then paint. Leave a small space free of paint for a Zinc. They are worth it even if its a small boat thats only sometimes in the water. Any electrolysis will cause the aluinum where exposed to "rust" and cause the paint to blister off.

Cheers.

When I did my 12’ tinny 20 years ago I sanded down the old paint getting rid of anything that wasn’t bonded properly. I then washed the hull clean before wiping it down with vinegar. As soon as it was dry I applied two light coats of etching primer. The next day I sprayed two more coats of high build primer. ProForm was the brand of primer and was available at Lordco.

I wanted to go with a camo pattern and didn’t want to spend a whole bunch of money so I bought green, brown and black tremclad. I mixed colors until I found the tones I liked. I masked off patterns and brushed on the paint.

The paint stood up very well for over 10 years until I sold the boat.

Back