Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2020..

Don't know the numbers for in the river counts, but I do know that yesterday, after being told that someone had an under in their boat, Weighmaster Bob remarked that that would be #105 for this year, roughly half of the number of unders of last year.

Factor in the lack of fish showing in the pool, compared to years past, and it seems like we have fewer fish overall.

Also, Hydro did some work earlier that entailed raising river levels for a couple of nights and that, along with two rains during July/early August, probably induced a few more to enter the river earlier than normal.

So, a little bit of all you mentioned methinks.

Anyway, ending in a bit of a quiet manner, with tomorrow night being the final one for this year.

I'll decorate my boat and be out for a while, just for the tradition of the last evening row.

Take care.
Well Cabezon Dave we need to have a little talk about the coveted Cabezon trophy this year. It appears that the reining trophy winner from last season never hooked up this season, so with that being said the winner this year is me. Being Camera less that evening event, the only proof of me catching the derby winner is Martin Buchanan whom took the prized Cabezon home and ate it. I will be coming around to your abode for a victory drink and The Cabezon Trophy.

Well Cabezon Dave we need to have a little talk about the coveted Cabezon trophy this year. It appears that the reining trophy winner from last season never hooked up this season, so with that being said the winner this year is me. Being Camera less that evening event, the only proof of me catching the derby winner is Martin Buchanan whom took the prized Cabezon home and ate it. I will be coming around to your abode for a victory drink and The Cabezon Trophy.

Curse you Bob Main, but with no photo and only the word of Martin Buchanan to go on you are on shaky ground with your claim.

I know Martin personally and he's a well known rapscallion and also falls into the old anglers adage thus:

"He sallies forth in the morning full of hope and dreams, but returns in the evening smelling of strong drink and the truth is not found in him."

So there.

But I do confess that none of my rod-holders managed to hook a Cabezon this year, so you get the trophy by default.

I, uh, let my dog use the trophy as a chew toy when I thought I would own it forever, so as soon as I find it I'll call you and you can come get it.

In the meantime......

Take care.

As you know Dave you have to catch a Cabezon to qualify for the title and honour! So that being posted you will no longer be known as Cabezon Dave looks like back to just plain Dave. It’s like the old saying the agony of defeat, but I know next year you will be out in full amour to regain the trophy and honour. Until then Dave tight lines.

Dave aka Cabezon Dave. Just received a call from Martin, as luck would have it. Martin had the wisdom to snap a pic of the said caught Cabezon! If you need proof we have it for you. Tight lines .

Sure, add to my agony by producing a photo.

I certainly hope Martin is clearly identifiable as well as the Cabezon in this purported photo, otherwise it could be a photo of anyone's Cabezon.

How do I know it's not a photo of the Cabezon caught by member Bugs back some time ago?

He also has staked a claim to my long-held position, claiming a contender way back in August.

Pics or it didn't happen is the well-known admonition, so show me. LOL

Here's mine.

photo 3.JPG

Take care.

I love sibling rivalry .Mom not so much. Well done Dave .Your winning in my books. Thank you for the memory of 2020 Campbell salmon capital of the world efforts in the sexiest dory on The pools

and my neck ,looking port starboard and above yes the pool needs to be from above. not for the faint of heart.i admire your courage for your ventures .you are a brave man.#1

Dave
Thanks again for the wonderful stories.
I look forward to better times in future, and more great stories.
“Maybe They Are Late”
Adios Amigo
Stosh

I've been pondering for nearly two days how I should go about ending this thread for the year but failing to find anything original in my mind, this is it.

It's over.

Sadly, the season ended with a whimper as the last 11 days brought no Tyee and few unders, leading to a lot of effort and expertise being exercised to no avail,something we seem to be experiencing more often these days.

But on the positive side, there were eight new members rowed into the club this year, we had our first C&R Tyee registered and, although I lost my highly coveted King Of The Cabezon crown I was able to claim the Best Decorated Boat title this year, as I shall demonstrate soon.

In other news, I was sad that member paguy (Shannon) was unable to come visit this year, and felt the same about Troy Winslow not being here either. I had a nice chat with him the other day and he's doing fine but missed us too.

I met a couple of neat new rod-holders this year among whom was member Scar Tissue who turned out to be good companionship and generosity combined, and is welcome in my boat any time.
We hooked up our second night out but lost the fish boat-side, much to my chagrin as he wanted it for his In-laws as he was staying with them.
I thought about offering to pay for a few Filet-O-Fish sandwiches from MacDonalds, but didn't.

I was happy as could be to have Merv in my boat when we got the second strike of the season and ended up with a nice fat but short Chinook. It was the second time I'd had him out and we've got a fish both times.

He thinks I'm awesome. LOL

I mourned the fact that for the first time since I started rowing I didn't have Rob and Angela up from Comox. They are my longest suffering rod-holders but health problems kept them from being disappointed again this year. I missed them badly.

I was stoked that Ken Enns and Nathan Lagos got the biggest Tyee this year and in the classic old school manner too.

Dangling a spoon on the daytime flood tide doesn't provide a lot of fish to the annual tally, but they are often larger fish and some guys have that fishery wired. Ken does.

Good going Ken and Nathan.

Oh, here's the evidence proving I won the Best Decorated Boat title. As always, I try to balance things out, hence the blonde and the brunette duo.

GalsLastNite20.jpg

We did think about trying for a pyrotechnics display as nobody else seemed to have anything on the go, but Diane poo-pooed our idea, and given it was a plan by Sharon and I to try to light our farts up simultaneously, she having had cabbage for lunch and I having had chili, perhaps she was right.

Didn't want to blow a hole in the boat on the last day.

Finally, thanks to all of you for the kind words throughout the season during my little self-indulgent exercise.

I truly appreciate them.

I enjoy making this annual contribution to our little group here and glad it seems to be popular.

Looking forward to next year when we can try it all again.

In the meantime, all the very best from me to all of you and thanks for reading along.

Next year, for sure.

Take care.

Back