2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna take a spin out to the SH tomorrow, see how it goes. Should be interesting to rip out at 6 am from the north shore in all this stupid smoke. Keep the reports coming!

Are cohos showing up in numbers around the Point Grey area? They should already be stacked near the mile markers by mid September if It’s good coho year.
Really? That’s good to know. When was the last time the coho were stacked up along the mile markers in mid sept?

Really? That’s good to know. When was the last time the coho were stacked up along the mile markers in mid sept?
Swimming or kayaking in that area and you may find answer to your question. Or maybe we have different understanding of what “stacked” means.

Swimming or kayaking in that area and you may find answer to your question. Or maybe we have different understanding of what “stacked” means.
Maybe. I have kayaked that area from Jericho to the bell for more than 100 hours. But not many trips in September so just wondering when as I always packed it in early September but never saw any stacked coho. Are they cap coho?

Maybe. I have kayaked that area from Jericho to the bell for more than 100 hours. But not many trips in September so just wondering when as I always packed it in early September but never saw any stacked coho. Are they cap coho?
I think they’re Fraser bound fish and that is their final staging area before the first big rain. I could be wrong. I’ve been swimming in that area for a few years and noticed they start showing up as early as August but you can even mark them in schools off the 2nd mile marker if it’s a good year. I use that as an indicator of a healthy fall run. There are years that it just doesn’t happen. Last year was one of those.

Anyone having any luck on plugs at the mouth so far? I wanna bring all my options as it seems I will need to work a little harder with gear.

When things were slow last weekend I stacked a 602 5" above a flasher/anchovy (plus would have been fishing from about 46 to 86). Had one nice hit and miss and 2 shakers. No real difference from bait.

Attachments

• 4454FC05-5353-4A77-986C-179E22B98FC5.jpeg
    4454FC05-5353-4A77-986C-179E22B98FC5.jpeg
    533.9 KB · Views: 218
View attachment 57103 View attachment 57103
I have had the best luck with plugs run without flashers trailed out a long way, trolling very fast. Although I did pull up 2 like this near Campbell River 2 years ago. I showed this picture to biologist from DFO. He thought it looked like we might have pulled them through a school of dogfish.
I've never run them with flashers, just on their own. Worked great in Nootka sound and CR. Here it's my last ditch when I've run out of ideas

Fished 7am to 6pm. Slow in morning hook one and lost it. 300 fow. Anchovy.
Noon hooked, landed 4 lbs hatchery cohoe.
Seems like bite came on, see a few nets out.
Landed 19 lbs wht spring. Missed 2 more fish, 1 looked pretty good. 200 fow, large anchovie.
Fish 50 to 70 ft on downrigger.

Last edited:
Are the White Spring's still coming , have only killed one this year , all others have been red , or Marbled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back