2020 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
We fished South of Barkley and then headed up towards Louden and then westward towar Nitnat last Thursday and Fri and managed to get 2 and lost 2 and had about 3 lines bitten off with 175 lb test line. We saw water temp vary from 61.5F to 63.5F. We got into them in blue water 70 nm offshore. Water conditions were perfect. There’s a lot of water out there to cover. A bit here and a bite there but nothing to indicate they were there in good numbers. Maybe we’ll get them next year but it was a fun adventure nevertheless.

Interesting to hear about the break offs. Myself and 7-8 other boats have seen billfish jumping the last week. Our guess is stripped marlin. Nobody has been able to hook them.

There was also multiple yellow tails and a bluefin caught. Wonder if there’s some larger bluefin responsible for the breakoffs. One boat got spooled yesterday while trying to give chase. Didn’t jump so he figured tuna.

Interesting to hear about the break offs. Myself and 7-8 other boats have seen billfish jumping the last week. Our guess is stripped marlin. Nobody has been able to hook them.

There was also multiple yellow tails and a bluefin caught. Wonder if there’s some larger bluefin responsible for the breakoffs. One boat got spooled yesterday while trying to give chase. Didn’t jump so he figured tuna.
Just wondering if it was smokey out there like the West coast is right now?

Is anyone getting updated Terrafin shots? I don’t seem to be getting any since Sept 10th. Could be the smoke maybe?

Gentlemen. (And Ladies)

Wife approved 5 days tuna fishing starting this Sat (weather permitting). Totally green to this fishery so I’ll be stopping at PNT for advice and to buy the setups.

Should I hit Winter Harbour and go out from there? Or Tofino??

Is there anyone else going I could buddy up with? Would love to experience this fishery!!

Cheers

Kevin.
(28 ft NWAC, twin 200’s.)

I would go to Tofino, lots of fish and lots of good guys there! My recommendation would be go to Tofino Resort Marina and you will find many boats going out.
Cheers! Good luck.
Feel free to pm me if you need any advice

Tofino was a nice marina but it seemed everyone was very secretive about where they were heading and not willing to give much in the way of info or pointers.

Gentlemen. (And Ladies)

Wife approved 5 days tuna fishing starting this Sat (weather permitting). Totally green to this fishery so I’ll be stopping at PNT for advice and to buy the setups.

Should I hit Winter Harbour and go out from there? Or Tofino??

Is there anyone else going I could buddy up with? Would love to experience this fishery!!

Cheers

Kevin.
(28 ft NWAC, twin 200’s.)

Ice is an issue.. Places with ice plants are more convenient.. Consider Ukie.
Almost same run out to canyons as Tuf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back