Kayak launches near good fishing

VicImport

Hey everyone, I'm new Victoria and just getting in to kayak fishing. I'm looking to get out a do some marine fishing, not too far off shore just yet (max depth of 250ft ish) though. I've been told to head to Otter Point, but I think that might be a bit out of my league right now. But if anyone has suggestions on a location that's easy to launch a kayak near some decent fishing, or want's a fishing buddy or mentee shoot me a message!

Hey everyone, I'm new Victoria and just getting in to kayak fishing. I'm looking to get out a do some marine fishing, not too far off shore just yet (max depth of 250ft ish) though. I've been told to head to Otter Point, but I think that might be a bit out of my league right now. But if anyone has suggestions on a location that's easy to launch a kayak near some decent fishing, or want's a fishing buddy or mentee shoot me a message!

I may have met you today at Esquimalt Anglers. :D Good luck finding some others, I know there are a few kayak fishers here, I hope they chime in for you.

Cheers,
Jim.

James Bay Anglers ramp is good to launch to fish the breakwater. You can launch at Pedder Bay and fish the outer regions of the bay.

Is it possible for the Admin to set up a Kayak fishing base/topic so we can compare rigs,kayaks. fishing method's etc ??

Is it possible for the Admin to set up a Kayak fishing base/topic so we can compare rigs,kayaks. fishing method's etc ??
Just start a thread here. Kayak fishing Victoria or something like that. There are a couple of groups on Facebook with the same theme.

I may have met you today at Esquimalt Anglers. :D Good luck finding some others, I know there are a few kayak fishers here, I hope they chime in for you.

Cheers,
Jim.

Nope wasn't me lol, but I'll take any advice you gave that guy haha.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'd definitely be interested in a kayak fishing thread, seem there's not a ton out there.

The bay at the mouth of the Conuma river has a Kayak fishery. I'd look for places that have the characteristics of that bay. Some of the inlets near Tofino might be safe. IMO there are few places to do this with relative safety; I don't think Otter Point is one of them. The bay at Port Renfrew may be a choice that has a good Coho run & is sheltered. I find Kayaks VERY unstable.

Awesome I'll check those places out too. I definitely want to start with safer options.
This kayak actually isn't too bad for me stability wise. I can stand up and fish if I want with bass etc. But wouldn't do it in a windy day or in the ocean. But I definitely won't be bringing in any giants either. I figure 20lbs TOPS, but I'm expecting smaller.

If you fish in Nanaimo, Charlaine boat launch puts you right in the action

Agree Nanaimo Charlaine great spot. Also often use the beach at Pipers lagoon park. Puts you very close to Hudsons rocks and Five fingers

I wouldn’t want to be right at otter point in a kayak when the current is ripping but you would be fine fishing Gordon’s beach down to Muir creek. Still some great fishing and not many boats in there with all the crab traps.

The bay at the mouth of the Conuma river has a Kayak fishery. I'd look for places that have the characteristics of that bay. Some of the inlets near Tofino might be safe. IMO there are few places to do this with relative safety; I don't think Otter Point is one of them. The bay at Port Renfrew may be a choice that has a good Coho run & is sheltered. I find Kayaks VERY unstable.
Laffs, definately don't go to otter point or gordons with a sit on top, too crowded and dangerous and you might find that a surf launch is necessary. Excellent ocean kayaking skills are required.

Back