2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that RC I do, there’s a reason some people live there but still, there are opportunities for you just not the ones you’d prefer to have.
And that's just it. I've gotten used to heading down to the boat for a few hours of fishing. I spend 6k per year in moorage and have subsequently purchased an untrailerable boat. It would take a wholesale change in process for me to travel for fish.

I guess that is my next investment. A larger boat moored locally, so I can get out quickly and/or buy a place over Van Island/Gulf Islands
where we have more fishing available. Keep the boat and trailer for local lake fishing etc. I had all that once upon a time before a family. I still make one or two trips a year over to the Island, Tofino, Campbell River etc.
Just rambling sorry...................:rolleyes:

And that's just it. I've gotten used to heading down to the boat for a few hours of fishing. I spend 6k per year in moorage and have subsequently purchased an untrailerable boat. It would take a wholesale change in process for me to travel for fish.

Well it’s something you may have to consider. I guess it depends how much it means to you. Again lots of us spend into the 6 digits on boats we use a couple times a year out there.
Anyways we are way off the reports thread,, sorry.

Anyone at SH today able to report on how crowded it is today? Wondering if there will be less boats this week as more people are back to work after summer vacations. Thanks in advance.

You guys it’s none of my business and I mean this with the best intentions in mind but I see people on here that live on the lower mainland or southern island complain about not having fishing opportunity when only a couple hundred miles from many of you even less for some there are openings all year and lots of opportunities for you with in a very short distance. There’s those of us that think nothing of driving 1400 miles for the opportunity to fish the salt, sometimes more. 2 days just to get there, spend thousands of dollars at it. Take a chance at taking a couple weeks off work and the fish might not even be there. With lots of work and money spent it’s not uncommon for it to run us over $10,000 a trip just for the chance. Please don’t feel your that put out if you can’t get them off your front step. Even at home here it’s not uncommon for us to drive 2 or 3 hours to fish different species of fish, that’s just life. Just be happy and enjoy the days you have.

Well said. Even with the restrictions/horrible handling of our resource by DFO/Government I still managed to fill my license with Chinook this year. This gave my whole family including extended family enough fish for the year. I also make sure our family members have Ling Cod, Hali, etc when I can as some of them are elderly and can't afford to get it from stores at the prices charge. I value the great fishing we have close to us in the lower mainland and up the island. IE salmon, bottom fish, crab, prawns, tuna etc. I will never take these things for granted. Feel blessed this nature and resource surrounds us and love sharing my time on the water with good friends and family here.

Anyone at SH today able to report on how crowded it is today? Wondering if there will be less boats this week as more people are back to work after summer vacations. Thanks in advance.
Fished the sand heads from 7-12. 3 fish to the boat between 47-55 on the downriggers on chovies. AWAY from the crowds, west. Had 3 double headers, broken and leader and a fish get sealed. Very busy for us but couldn't box that last one. 1 white and 2 marble. It is very calm out there. Everytime we have gone out we fished away from the crowds and had great luck

Fished the sand heads from 7-12. 3 fish to the boat between 47-55 on the downriggers on chovies. AWAY from the crowds, west. Had 3 double headers, broken and leader and a fish get sealed. Very busy for us but couldn't box that last one. 1 white and 2 marble. It is very calm out there. Everytime we have gone out we fished away from the crowds and had great luck
Was the bite closer to first light or around the tide

Seems like today was a much better day to be on the water than Sunday for hooking up on fish. With the rains which came today, does anyone have experience fishing sandheads the day after it rained? Is the fishing usually slow the day after due to fish pushing up the fraser? I spend about 2 hours trailering the boat to and from to get to the launch and if tomorrow will likely be slow based on people's past experience, I will go out later in the week. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Out at SH from 7-2:30 ... fished mostly north side and was slow for the first couple hours.. lots of shakers amd a couple of jacks and then we moved south west and managed one 25 lbs white chinook, couple of good hits that didnt stick and got seal lioned once wow are those guys powerful ... nice and calm a bit foggy/smokey

You guys it’s none of my business and I mean this with the best intentions in mind but I see people on here that live on the lower mainland or southern island complain about not having fishing opportunity when only a couple hundred miles from many of you even less for some there are openings all year and lots of opportunities for you with in a very short distance. There’s those of us that think nothing of driving 1400 miles for the opportunity to fish the salt, sometimes more. 2 days just to get there, spend thousands of dollars at it. Take a chance at taking a couple weeks off work and the fish might not even be there. With lots of work and money spent it’s not uncommon for it to run us over $10,000 a trip just for the chance. Please don’t feel your that put out if you can’t get them off your front step. Even at home here it’s not uncommon for us to drive 2 or 3 hours to fish different species of fish, that’s just life. Just be happy and enjoy the days you have.
You are right. We are fortunate to live here, for many reasons, one of which is fishing the salt. I can’t count how many other reasons we are lucky enough to live in BC. Best place on earth.

Just out here since 8 nothing the show Waters flat not as many boats today a lot of seals.
Haven't seen anything else landed either.

Decided to try NS once again. Strong outgoing tide. Started at the green light to go with the flow. Just landed a 22lb + probably a white. Anchovy at 77 on the rigger in about 80’ of water. Right about where the bank drops off east of fisheries. Talk about spunk. Took a half hour fishing solo 4 lines down managed to get them all in and had two seals surface while filing it out. Just a couple of boats at fisheries now. No Coho that I have seen but the sonar is constant.

At SH. No action yet since 8. Haven't seen any nets out. Seen 4 differemt seals in differemt areas each chewing down on a fresh carcass. The salmon they were eating all looked red. Could it be Mr seal prefers reds also?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back