Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting how we can’t keep a wild given they are so abundant now.
Oct 1st. your allowed to keep 1 wild Coho in Sooke 20-5. http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/co-chq/20-co-chq-eng.pdf
C/P:
Oct 1 – Dec 31. 4 Coho per day, only 1 may be unmarked That portion of Subarea 20-1 (seaward of a line between a square white boundary sign at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy, and San Juan Point). Subareas 20-3 to 20-7 (excluding closed times listed below)

Pretty good coho fishing today. 4 hatchery and about a dozen wild. Some in close to Church but better fishing out in the strait. Everything in the tackle box was working today.

Same for me straight out from Secretary. Four hatch in the boat that were 5,6 & 7 x 2. 12ish wilds released. 3 or 4 of the wilds were 8-9 lbs. We had a couple of double headers when we dialled in a school. Most of our action was in 450-530 ft & 60-70 on the riggers. Kids had a blast.

Oct 1st. your allowed to keep 1 wild Coho in Sooke 20-5. http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/co-chq/20-co-chq-eng.pdf
C/P:
Oct 1 – Dec 31. 4 Coho per day, only 1 may be unmarked That portion of Subarea 20-1 (seaward of a line between a square white boundary sign at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy, and San Juan Point). Subareas 20-3 to 20-7 (excluding closed times listed below)

Thanks TheRock. I’m aware of the regulation. This reg was put in place to allow the wild coho population to rebuild itself. And now it has. What would be better for them now is to remove this regulation or more specifically, allow retention of 1 or even 2 wild a lot earlier in the season. This would remove the scenario where multiple wilds are caught and possibly injured, perhaps fatally, to get to that hatch. Case in point see previous 2 posts where 4 wilds were caught to every hatch. Most guys stop fishing once they have the limit. Allowing us to keep wilds again means less injured wild coho going back in the water.

Back to reports....

Thanks TheRock. I’m aware of the regulation. This reg was put in place to allow the wild coho population to rebuild itself. And now it has. What would be better for them now is to remove this regulation or more specifically, allow retention of 1 or even 2 wild a lot earlier in the season. This would remove the scenario where multiple wilds are caught and possibly injured, perhaps fatally, to get to that hatch. Case in point see previous 2 posts where 4 wilds were caught to every hatch. Most guys stop fishing once they have the limit. Allowing us to keep wilds again means less injured wild coho going back in the water.

Back to reports....
EVERYONE should know by now that DFO doesnt rule and make regs with common sense in mind, years a go we had a sSept 1 opening for wild and it never came back...maybe its something that should be brought forth to our reps at SFAB again .
As for reports after a few days off I was out yesterday and man didnt know if it was smoke or fog it was really bad gross really sore throat at end of day... got many coho mostly wild though ended up with a 23 lb spring and a big fat chum let go a monster coho too that was a beauty hope they stay for a few more weeks

Back to reports....

Agree with Wolf as well. The only alternative is to clip all hatchery fish that is released. But DFO is bound by Pacific Salmon Treaty, and refuses to do so. If they do it is still at a limited basis. So what you think is wild isn't. FYI these restriction was only to protect the Thompson and Skeena coho which never recovered. So it was a failure.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/anderson-slashes-b-c-coho-catch-1.167106

Never been supportive of this regulation down there.

Thanks for reports hoping to get down there this week when smoke clears. It is really bad up island right now.

Yup, awesome Coho fishing out there. Went through 4 trays of bait and used a few of the slightly damaged pieces twice. one triple and a few doubles. Largest wild was a good 14 pounds, kept 3 hatch,...10 pounds the biggest. Nice water but ugly air quality....we need a good night time SW blow. Best depths today for me were 35 and 55 feet...didn't try below 70ft.

Fished yesterday and today 630-12. Did some turns off the point both mornings looked sooo fishy but no luck on springs so headed out off secretary for coho. Landed around 15 both days but only 3 clipped Sunday and 1 today. Best fishing was 500-550 ft down 100-150 on the rigger. I think the smallest fish this year would have been my biggest last year. Had a few that had to be 15lbs. Hope today’s rain doesn’t send them away!

Yup, awesome Coho fishing out there. Went through 4 trays of bait and used a few of the slightly damaged pieces twice. one triple and a few doubles. Largest wild was a good 14 pounds, kept 3 hatch,...10 pounds the biggest. Nice water but ugly air quality....we need a good night time SW blow. Best depths today for me were 35 and 55 feet...didn't try below 70ft.

hey Profisher, was hoping you could shed some light on the where abouts you are fishing and what colours ? I haven’t fished the Sooke area much and am planning on heading out tomorrow morning . Thanks in advance for any info!

Wondering whether I can catch anchovy by myself in Sooke area, as I found the bait store sells them expensively. Any idea? Thanks in advance:)
There are no anchovies in BC waters. Our native bait fish are Pacific herring. If you find a shoal you can catch them and use them for bait. There are many ways of rigging herring which you can find on the Internet or in "how to fish" books. Personally I have used herring for about 2 years now and I find them just as good as anchovies. Not that I am an expert (as people on here will tell you!). However, in 2018 I got a 27lb fish on a 4" herring so they do work off Sooke.

There are no anchovies in BC waters. Our native bait fish are Pacific herring. If you find a shoal you can catch them and use them for bait. There are many ways of rigging herring which you can find on the Internet or in "how to fish" books. Personally I have used herring for about 2 years now and I find them just as good as anchovies. Not that I am an expert (as people on here will tell you!). However, in 2018 I got a 27lb fish on a 4" herring so they do work off Sooke.
Thank you very much, @Englishman . Good to know the ocean ecology in this area. I will try to learn how to catch herring then.

There are anchovies in BC waters but not prolific enough to just assume you will go out and get some.....you have to be lucky and in the right place at the right time. Awesome fishing today with a Sportfishingbc member. We didn't hit as many coho as my last trip 2 days ago but we found 8 clipped. All nice fish up to 9 pounds. We released a couple of wilds that would have topped 10 pounds. Fished the same depths s last trip from 35-70 ft...today 70 was best. Most fish were in the 300 ft area off the Tin Shed. There are a couple of large Scotsman in the area where I've been fishing...not sure what is on the other end? All on anchovies and anything green seems to work best.limit2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back