Building boats from Hourston glascraft molds

Honestly we had not but I think that is a great idea. I would think that 17’-20’ would be the best fit.
I have a 26 center console Hourston.

You’re more than welcome to check it out. It’s in Nanaimo

We would be capable of building 15’ -26’ models. Likely all outboard / pod style. Looking at a web based ordering system getting great feedback. I will keep everyone updated as we move forward.

I know outboards and pods are popular, but I also think there is a market for inboards, including diesel - especially at 23 and 26'.

I hear talk of burning 10-12 gallons an hour at 25-27 mph with outboards. That is double what I burn at the same speeds with a Volvo D3-200 and duoprop. The powertrain is also 500 lbs lighter than the old 260 hp gas engine, so the boat planes more readily. The economy is nice, but more important in remote areas, my range is doubled.

The later generation VPs are pretty efficient. Mine is early 2000s with 320 hp and a 1.78 DPS drive and it works really well with this hull. That said, when it blows its brains it im not spending 40000 for a new VP package...OP make sure to stay in contact with me, I am serious about the windishield frame and its definitely a target for a pod refit.

The later generation VPs are pretty efficient. Mine is early 2000s with 320 hp and a 1.78 DPS drive and it works really well with this hull. That said, when it blows its brains it im not spending 40000 for a new VP package...OP make sure to stay in contact with me, I am serious about the windishield frame and its definitely a target for a pod refit.
I don’t see a 320hp model only 200 and 220. Is that a typo? I didn’t realize the D3 was a 5 cylinder and aluminum. These are a lot lighter than my D4’s by about 600 pounds so ya would be a nice package for the Hourston.

I don’t see a 320hp model only 200 and 220. Is that a typo? I didn’t realize the D3 was a 5 cylinder and aluminum. These are a lot lighter than my D4’s by about 600 pounds so ya would be a nice package for the Hourston.

Sorry, I wasn't clear...mine is a gas 320hp.

Hopefully this venture it’s legit, and isn’t just smoke being blown up our butts. Would love to see deep v podded Hourstons!

And for the love of all things boats,, modernize the interiors on them. Don’t get me wrong they were and are great boats and hulls but my goodness. When they shut down a couple years ago they still had the same interiors they had 40 years ago. No one wants a painted plywood interior any longer.

Boy, a modern, all composite, self-bailing Hourston would be a tough boat to argue with. I didn't realize the moulds had been saved. That's great news. I wish you luck with this company and am rooting for you to make a million bucks off new Hourstons!

Or I guess ideally a billion dollars so you can afford to give free boats to the people who wished you well back at the very beginning.

What's the beam on a 26?
Mine is like 8' 10" or something
And best advice I can give you for bringing back the 23 and 26 in a inboard make the stringers wider so when you put a engine in you can reach down to replace starter or plugs or better yet floor hatches and reinforced cut outs on stringers so you can reach thru to get access to the plugs and starter... maybe be something to consider.... btw LOVE my 26 footer and glad to see your taking on the molds

Mine is like 8' 10" or something
And best advice I can give you for bringing back the 23 and 26 in a inboard make the stringers wider so when you put a engine in you can reach down to replace starter or plugs or better yet floor hatches and reinforced cut outs on stringers so you can reach thru to get access to the plugs and starter... maybe be something to consider.... btw LOVE my 26 footer and glad to see your taking on the molds
i don't think you will be changing plugs in the boat, they will all be outboards

Diesels don't have plugs. lol

Yeah I wouldn't get hung up just on making just outboard models. A lot of guys still run inboards so you would be missing out on that market as well. Like wolf above if bring back his 26 your going to need to make that in an inboard version. His boat in pod version is $$$$. That is slim piece of the market.

Back