Salt Water Fishing Kayak Purchase

Breakin"even

Crew Member
I'm looking at buying a kayak for recreation and fishing. I'm thinking
a pedal thrust but not sure what make or length if that is a option. I know
very little about them but I want a good make and model. Any thoughts?

I have the hobie mirage drive which is the pedal. Also set up with a rod holder and a depth sounder / chart. Where are you located? I’m considering selling.

Hobie Revolution. The current crop of pedaldrives are wayy too wide and heavy imo. Downside is the cost. Second for me would be the passport 12, Less expensive and just slightly heavier than the Revo.

I have a Hobie outback. Great kayak. Also fished out of a Hobie Compass on a Panama fishing trip
Both very stable and carry a lot of weight
Compass a bit cheaper. Friends landed 50 pound plus rooster fish and Cubera snapper out of same boats. Outback has more storage space. Dont find I need it. Try to be a minimalist and only take the essentials

I second the vote for a Hobie Revolution. The one in my picture is an Adventure Island but I have a Revo as well. There are some second hand ones around, way cheaper than buying new.

Used Hobie is the way to go, I've never tried a kayak before and new is to much.
You still have to set it up for fishing.

I have the hobie mirage drive which is the pedal. Also set up with a rod holder and a depth sounder / chart. Where are you located? I’m considering selling.
@wishiniwasfishin1 What type of depth sounder/chart do you have? Did you have to drill a hole in the bottom of your kayak to attach the transponder on? I have a passat double ocean kayak & am interested how to fit it with some more gear?

I use a Lowrange elite 4 on my Hobie. Gps and sounder. Very happy with it. Newer models out
Definitely Need a gps/map to mark your spots
Navionics maps
Alternatively without is the Garmin fishfinder without Gps map. Comes in a handy bag with sounder,battery and sucking cup attachment for the sounder. Can attach to side of kayak. Scotty also make attachments for kayak fishing. Extending arm for sounder etc

That's good to know @renier . I'll search up those options.
Wondering about lures & set ups for fishing for chinook. I've been using slip weights, then flashers, then a hootchie or anchovy....but wondering if I'm pulling too much? Any thoughts?

@wishiniwasfishin1 What type of depth sounder/chart do you have? Did you have to drill a hole in the bottom of your kayak to attach the transponder on? I have a passat double ocean kayak & am interested how to fit it with some more gear?
It’s been a few years and I can’t remember all the details specifically. But it’s a Lowrance hook 4 with chirp.
The transponder fit into the stock spot that came with the yak if that makes sense. The setup was pretty easy. You do have to get the install kit by hobie for the fishfinder.
I also have the ball joint style mount called the ram fishfinder mount II for the screen. The rod holder is By hobie and it’s adjustable.
I think with accessories the boat was close to $5k new but it all works really well. There is a battery that stores on the hatch.

I’ve had a hobie outback for 2 years now. I’ve done lots of salmon fishing in it. I use a Scotty Downrigger and have a 7” garmin sounder with GPS. The new outback’s 2019+ have spots underneath to mount your transducer and ports for the wiring. No drilling necessary. I trimmed the boom length of my down rigger so it keeps the weight closer to center. To far out and you can’t reach The weight and it’ll slowly pull you that direction. Tons of videos online on hobie setups

Just so you know Hobie is not the only salt water kayak out there head over to west coast kayak anglers Facebook page or the fishing tournaments group as well

Back