2020 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing Little Q.......I am thinking of going out Tuesday or wednesday after my work week is done. Usually best time is first light over there and often pink squirts or anchovy are the ticket as with most river mouths. Would love to hear for sure though, if anyone has been over there lately. I know it gets crowded but I won't get in your way, I'm a courtouse fisherman aware of everyone's tac and will get out of the way if you have a fish on...lol ! PM is fine too. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
out last night fished from the 194 hill in towards shore at FC only made it into about 220' and already had a hatchery coho and a spring. Both on Plugs at 215'. Wind started to come up from flat calm at 7pm. had my fill so went in.Surprised to see lines of boats coming out between 6:45-7:15pm. Must have been a night bite lately after dark? Heard other boaters saying the LQ was dead got fish back near white door.

Kept a 17 and 13 at the little Q yesterday AM and released a dark 90 cm female. Lost another good strike. Most action on chovy, got the 13 on a pink squirt. Lots of fish showing on the sounder, decent but not red hot bite I would say. Ramp was a gong show getting out. Also, thanks to the guy in the big blue north river aluminum for cutting in line in front of 5 boats patiently waiting their turn to get out. That was a classy move.

Kept a 17 and 13 at the little Q yesterday AM and released a dark 90 cm female. Lost another good strike. Most action on chovy, got the 13 on a pink squirt. Lots of fish showing on the sounder, decent but not red hot bite I would say. Ramp was a gong show getting out. Also, thanks to the guy in the big blue north river aluminum for cutting in line in front of 5 boats patiently waiting their turn to get out. That was a classy move.

That’s what I miss most about fishing in May...none of the summer morons

Fished out front yesterday evening and it was another night bite for us. Only one bite from 6-7:30 and then three springs on from 7:30 to 8:30. We kept one 78cm fish that was still pretty bright. All fish were on the shallow stacked rod on a hootchie.

The one bite early I could see the rod near the bottom was bobbing a bit with a shaker or pacific cod, i didn’t pull it out right away and then it hammered off and there was a fish on that we fought for a bit. It eventually broke off clean on the leader so I’m assuming it was a ling cod. Was taking runs so I don’t think dog fish.

Got out later last night, decided to fish the contours along the shore side of the humps. Like every other post it seems like a later bite was the ticket for us. Nothing until 7:30, then I dropped a plug into the sand (180 on the sounder, 220 on the DR. As soon as I stopped the drop, the line popped. 15 minutes later a nice 17 # white spring was in the boat. Just about to call it a night at 8:00 when the same plug in the same dirt gave my wife the chance to play a beautiful silver 15# red spring. The weather and scenery was perfect for a night on the water.

Out last night at little q. Slow. Bad weeds when we got there but they cleared up and we managed one 12# at 80' on a white hoochie. Nice bright fish so that was even better. Didn't see any other fish caught although most boats had left by the time we got bit at 7:45

Got a nice 23 pounder this morning at French creek humps. Lost another smaller fish. The chop made the ride back to schooner bumpy!

white hootchie. 210 on the riggers

Outlast night 5:30 -8:20 In the first fifteen minutes we were out between the 197 and 194 markers watching the dolphins jumping and missed a pop off at 225' in 210' water. Then we moved in about 6:3o to the inside 180-200. saw a few fish being played and lost. Only saw one netted and one released (coho?). Then at about 7:20 in close 100' or less we had a doubleheader but neither stuck. 10 minutes later we boated a 14 lb that would have gone back last week 82cm. it was all over by 7:45 never saw any other caught after that. All on plugs fishing in close 65-90' . Bait was moving around really fast, was by Columbia beach at 6:30 in 200 then moved in to 75-150' then seemed to all go towards the white door 100'-30' as it got later. every time we got bait hits we would get action. All the boat we talked to that went out in the afternoon said the river was lots of jumpers but few taken. The night was no jumpers and no fish were seen taken. Definitely still better out front this year. We did see a number of jumpers our selves right out front before 6:30.

Have there been many fish schooling up outside little q or are they just going right up the river?

Have there been many fish schooling up outside little q or are they just going right up the river?
The usual MO is low tide they will be hopping around, High tide is less decent most times. Low tide A chance for some days to be a good bite. Usually, it will be Jiggers or trollers that do well not usually both. High tide it goes quiet. As they can run up the two Qualicum rivers because there so big. then the tide changes and the new cycle starts of new fish lining up. That's my take anyways.

The early morning at the Humps has produced for me the last couple times out. Last out Wednesday.Not slaying them by any means but boxing a few. Lost most including a 35 lber 10 seconds from being in the net, and lost my hot plug in the process. Lost the plugs twin due to a faulty knot which I didn’t tie. Hopefully I’ll be out first light tomorrow morning if I can find me a Gilligan! All the fish I have cleaned last couple trips have had 6-8” herring including a fat hatchery coho yesterday. We lost two other good springs and released 2 nice sized wild coho as well all on 6 and 7”plugs all depths but 70-100’ at dawn.. Marked tons of fish. I think it may continue for awhile yet.

Is it still firing at the humps?

Was over Tuesday am in the smog with limited success. Would love to do one last troll before pulling the boat for the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back