2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost two fish today at SH. One to a broken leader, the other, to a frickin seal. Never been sealed before. Right at the green can. Never knew seals were so fast. That fish was maybe 18 lbs and took off like a rocket. The seal followed the boat quite aggressively for 2 minutes. I think he lost the Spring and was hoping for more. Saw lots of nets out. Both fish on chovy at 44 ft.

Lost two fish today at SH. One to a broken leader, the other, to a frickin seal. Never been sealed before. Right at the green can. Never knew seals were so fast. That fish was maybe 18 lbs and took off like a rocket. The seal followed the boat quite aggressively for 2 minutes. I think he lost the Spring and was hoping for more. Saw lots of nets out. Both fish on chovy at 44 ft.

That green can is like water cooler Mondays for the seals...they hang around the area chit chatting and when they see dinner they are there like lightning......seen a number of guys get sealed there.

SH this evening report:

Fished 430-7

Got 2 fish on, both nice ones. First one spit the hook. Second one got caught in a dang crab trap line and broke mainline.

Both were hooked in 50ish feet of water right around the green can. Right at low tide change - 530- 6pm.

Then topped the night off tangled up in those green buoy commercial trap lines. Somehow pulled up both balls and saved all the gear- huzzah! Small win, I'll take it

Hot teaser was a mother of pearl Rhys davis today... both fish on it and now it's gone.

20200909_171123_resized.jpg Psa for everyone its not happening out deeper today haha. Had a barely legal later in the shift and released him gently. I'm out solo so I stay away from the crowds.

Watch the eff out for those green commercial bouys, white ones too.

Last edited:
I lost two cannonballs thanks to the green buoys and the guys that set them. The long line they use to connect them all is raised at such a flat angle that they catch almost anything thats in the area. Forget about any kind of sinking rope. It's just a normal rope. Its brutal. And they couldn't care less about any courtesy as they come into the pack of fishing boats fast. I get that they have a livelihood to make, but its very frustrating to say the least.

Anyone having luck on anything else other then anchovies or herring? I have all our hits on anchovies. But a few days ago in Tofino The coho killer was getting all the big springs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back