Catch Scenario #01- The big head shaker

Make sure you use good quality mainline, leader, and tie good knots so you know you can pull on the fish without worrying about him breaking off.
Make sure you use good quality hooks so you know you can pull on the fish without worrying about the hook bending out.
Make sure your hooks are sticky sharp so you increase the chances of the fish getting hooked.
Make sure to check your hooks, knots and line condition regularly, don't assume everything is fine.
When using barbless hooks I have found it helps to curve the point ( claw ) and to offset the point slightly.
When playing the fish, try your best not to ever give the fish any slack line as barbless hooks can and do fall out easily and keep your rod tip up.
When the pin pops on the rigger the fish has some slack line until you get the belly out of the line ( especially when fishing deep). Pick up this slack as quickly as possible, some people speed up the boat for a bit until that slack is taken up.
If you have a large fish and he runs a long way chase him down with the boat ( don't give him any slack ) rather than drag him all the way back to the boat. Better landing % and less chance some bozo will run over your fish and break the line.
If you have a large fish make sure to clear the rest of your lines and downriggers out of the water so the line won't get tangled when the fish gets to the boat.
Have a big net ready, net the fish when he is ready, scoop him head first into the net.
Don't put the net in the water until the fish is ready, many large fish are lost when people panic and try to get them in the net before they are fully played out.
If you manage to do all of the things listed above you have done all you can do to put the odds in your favour.
Unfortunately you are still going to lose some fish mostly because of how the fish is hooked.

A lot of interesting comments here. Clearly for some fishing is about getting that meat in the freezer.
On my boat these days we don’t “lose” a lot of fish. But some get away.
Use all the right gear and do everything you can to keep even tension on the fish. Rod tip up, reel like hell when necessary, manoeuvre the boat to keep fish down current...
If it’s a good fish I need my partner to clear the other gear, steer the boat, keep eye out for other boats and stand out of the way ready with net while I enjoy playing the fish. Net it by the head when I say it’s ready but don’t rush it and don’t get in the way.
All this no retention and low retention has made us pretty relaxed on the boat these days. Not hard to tub out a 2 fish limit. If one gets away we just regroup and catch another.

I’ve learned over the years to never ever horse a fish in. I fish many different species of fish and many different styles and horsing a big fish in or rushing the landing is never a wise thing. You will lose more fish doing this than by doing it right. There is a difference between horsing a fish and just keeping a constant steady strain on it and letting the gear do its work. That’s why you run good rods with lots of back bone in them and not floppy noodles, nor do you run short fence post rods. Nice long rods with even back bone from tip to butt so you can store energy in the rod and not on the fishes mouth. A floppy noodle rod is the worst thing for losing a fish from head shakes as you can’t store enough energy in the rod to keep up with the quick release of energy when the fish is flopping around. I’ve got a brand new $600 Islander mooching rod that I received for Christmas last year that I’m not even sure I want. To me it feels far to loose in the top half of the rod. I will see what it performs like next summer Lord willing but as much as it may hurt my wife whom got me the rod, I told her that I may be selling the rod if I feel it’s not up to par, I just won’t risk losing a fish of a lifetime over sub par equipment. Good quality reels that are smooth from the start of the force to the end not sticky jerky drags, I would rather have a reel that creeps some what than one that is sticky. And good line that you can trust to take long sessions of stress and some abrasions and still hold out. And of course good quality hooks that won’t open or break under severe head shakes. But never ever horse in a big fish.

Horsed a 20 lb fish in this summer...away from a pursuing seal. Got the fish in the boat, sore hand, and a half bent hook on my spoon, but we landed the fish just as the seal came right up to the boat. Worth it...but not recommended as common practice! Not sure how hungry the seal was, as I thought for sure he would have grabbed the fish. Must say, if that was a skinny G out of the box hook that fish would have been gone....thankfully big eye hooks out of the box aren't half bad! Love those spoons.

I like catching fish, but the only ones I really care about not losing are when my daughter or another kid is along who really really wants it. My nephew got his first salmon with me a couple weeks ago, I really didn't want him to lose his fish. Keep the tip up, keep reeling unless it really pulls then let it go. He got his knuckles dusted a bit but was very proud. He was so happy that I think it was my favourite fish all year. I fish by myself a lot so if I have two lines out its tough to clear the lines and it can be a bit hectic steering if there are a lot of boats out and a lot of current. I like to eat salmon but with 10 chinook a year annual limit I don't stress too much if some get away, my focus for hook choice is on not causing too much damage to fish I will need to release rather than maximum hooking efficiency. I still have fish in my freezer. All that said I still disappointed and often wonder if I could have done something differently when I lose one.

Oh the the delight of the big head shaker! If you get a big head shaker which usually happens are the rod in rod holder or just after he pops the clip and your holding rod ready for it to run. Chances are Salmon is going to get off. He's poorly hooked. Fish knows it, you know it, probably less then a 25% chance or lower of getting that fish. If he does decide to run after the big head shakes chances increase dramatically, but if he stops and head shakes again, It will probably be one of those long line releases. If he runs and then comes back to the boat quickly and you can't keep up with him. Probably gone. BIG head shakes are the worst, usually a fish over 20lbs for sure. There is nothing you can do except hope and pray he stay on long enough to have a chance with the net and even then with the net he's probably not hooked very good so chances you lose him a the boat or net is like 85%. Its fishing, not catching, its not easy, its hard, its supposed be enjoyable and catching a fish makes the trip all the better.

I believe the times of filling your freezer from Sidney to Victoria are over. If you can catch fish and when you do it will be a an epic moment to remise about the good old days. If you want a freezer full of fish you will need to travel and sometimes Sooke and Port Renfrew are not far enough.

But I would not worry about the BIG HEAD SHAKERS! enjoy the day and get the lines ready for the next one!

We all want tight lines and calm seas as we await that epic fish battle! The Tug is the drug and why we spend so much money, time and effort in this glorious sport called FISHING!

Make sure you use good quality mainline, leader, and tie good knots so you know you can pull on the fish without worrying about him breaking off.
Make sure you use good quality hooks so you know you can pull on the fish without worrying about the hook bending out.
Make sure your hooks are sticky sharp so you increase the chances of the fish getting hooked.
Make sure to check your hooks, knots and line condition regularly, don't assume everything is fine.
When using barbless hooks I have found it helps to curve the point ( claw ) and to offset the point slightly.
When playing the fish, try your best not to ever give the fish any slack line as barbless hooks can and do fall out easily and keep your rod tip up.
When the pin pops on the rigger the fish has some slack line until you get the belly out of the line ( especially when fishing deep). Pick up this slack as quickly as possible, some people speed up the boat for a bit until that slack is taken up.
If you have a large fish and he runs a long way chase him down with the boat ( don't give him any slack ) rather than drag him all the way back to the boat. Better landing % and less chance some bozo will run over your fish and break the line.
If you have a large fish make sure to clear the rest of your lines and downriggers out of the water so the line won't get tangled when the fish gets to the boat.
Have a big net ready, net the fish when he is ready, scoop him head first into the net.
Don't put the net in the water until the fish is ready, many large fish are lost when people panic and try to get them in the net before they are fully played out.
If you manage to do all of the things listed above you have done all you can do to put the odds in your favour.
Unfortunately you are still going to lose some fish mostly because of how the fish is hooked.

I lost a very large fish in Hardy last year, and it still bothering me. Was perfect and got to experience the fight with son. It sat and sulked under boat for a while, and just would not come in. Instead of waiting tried to rush it, and paid price.

That is difference of the bigger fish. You will lose them if you aren't patient. Never try to net a fish when it isn't ready.

head shakers are the worst... i always say to people i am fishing with "sometimes the fish wins."

I lost a very large fish in Hardy last year, and it still bothering me. Was perfect and got to experience the fight with son. It sat and sulked under boat for a while, and just would not come in. Instead of waiting tried to rush it, and paid price.

That is difference of the bigger fish. You will lose them if you aren't patient. Never try to net a fish when it isn't ready.

Agreed - Chances are if you get it that close the thing is hooked really well and the only way you are going to lose it is a rushed net job or another predator. I find bigger springs are typically predictable at this stage of the fight so just be super patient and enjoy the sulk 7 ft below the water. The rush of the first couple big runs is sweet - but seeing the fish just out of reach beside the boat is the best part of the battle for me...:)

If all else is right, during big shakes or extended shakes play fish tighter than you normally would later in the fight. Don’t let him get leverage on the hook . Keep it set wherever it is. Play fish tight as it may not be well hooked. I have seen fish spit lures 10’ when ticked on the surface after long fights. I don’t want to know exactly how big they were.

If all else is right, during big shakes or extended shakes play fish tighter than you normally would later in the fight. Don’t let him get leverage on the hook . Keep it set wherever it is. Play fish tight as it may not be well hooked. I have seen fish spit lures 10’ when ticked on the surface after long fights. I don’t want to know exactly how big they were.
Man I never would have thought that. I figured the game plan would be to back off when they shake. I'm no expert on the subject though. Seems like every fish I catch goes on one run then screams right back to the boat. I sometimes feel like guys have to lying when they say they have 45 minute battles, even 5 minute battles for that matter. I've never fought a fish for more than a minute or two. I've also never been sealed though...

This is great! I posted this with the intent of getting people into the conversation and sharing their experiences, rather than focusing on the dumpster fire that is happening right now.
No, it is not about filling the freezer, nor is it meant to find the one true way of fighting a fish. We all do it for the excitement and the good times. It's fishing and **** happens that for better or for worse, increases our resolve and motivates us to try again.
Let's not stop now, i'm enjoying the one that got away stories. You know, the ones that keep us going back to relive that moment and hopefully be successful the next time around!

[QUOTE="
Unfortunately you are still going to lose some fish mostly because of how the fish is hooked.[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of the above. The one thing I will do when fishing alone and I get a bigger fish next to the boat - yes you'll think I'm crazy - but I take my boat hook, get ready for it to run and then poke the fish with it. It goes for a run, comes back and I do it again. It goes for another run, comes back and then I poke it again. If it doesn't move after a poke I put the rod in a forward gunnel rod holder and easily net the fish as both hands are on the net and the fish has nothing left. I've done this a handful of times and never lost one at this stage. Prior to this I was having bad luck when alone as the netting was awkward and my success rate was hit and miss. You never know which fish is saving a bit of energy for once you gently touch it by accident with the net. With guests I have to keep telling them the fish is not ready but I do not poke the fish as they will think I'm crazy. But with me yelling at them for rod positioning it is much easier for me to net.

[QUOTE="

I agree with all of the above. The one thing I will do when fishing alone and I get a bigger fish next to the boat - yes you'll think I'm crazy - but I take my boat hook, get ready for it to run and then poke the fish with it. It goes for a run, comes back and I do it again. It goes for another run, comes back and then I poke it again. If it doesn't move after a poke I put the rod in a forward gunnel rod holder and easily net the fish as both hands are on the net and the fish has nothing left. I've done this a handful of times and never lost one at this stage. Prior to this I was having bad luck when alone as the netting was awkward and my success rate was hit and miss. You never know which fish is saving a bit of energy for once you gently touch it by accident with the net. With guests I have to keep telling them the fish is not ready but I do not poke the fish as they will think I'm crazy. But with me yelling at them for rod positioning it is much easier for me to net.[/QUOTE]

I would be hitting them with a gaff not a boat hook !

I learned from my grandfather who got me into fishing. One important thing he taught me and I saw that all the successful old timers did who regularly caught big fish in the day...was stop the boat once they had the other gear stowed and room to play the fish. I see guys who never stop the boat and drag their fish all over the place or in a big circle. I remember one boat doing this for 40 minutes with numerous netting attempts. I mentioned to my customer nice of the guy to give the fish a tour of the area before he kills it. I never did see if he got the fish as he got too far away. If you watch the top rods today they all stop the boat when playing a sizable fish....we only keep the boat going if it is a fish we think we can take a chance with because loosing it won't be a big deal. We weight keeping the other gear fishing because a bite is on and loosing a maybe 10-12 pound fish isn't going to be the end of the world. It is harder to land a sizable fish with the boat in gear...the net bag wants to drag back, the fish can leverage better against you...kinda like a slalom water skier digging into a turn and pulling away...building speed. Concentrate on the fish...if the fish goes up under the bow...sure backup and turn the boat to get him back out and on the side you need him on. The bonus for the rest of us is that your boat laying sideways to the flow dead in the water can be seen from the other end of the tack...and we all know you are into a fish and maybe the bite is on!!! lol

Much more fun to fight a fish in neutral but when fishing a busy spot I usually try to work my way out of the crowd first before going in neutral or at least in idle forward. Works most of the times and I don't block the rest of the fleet and reduce the chance of any clueless captain to run over my line.

Ok, one story of one that got away that still lives vividly in my memories - many years ago now, after fishing and learning for a year and a half on the boat of a local oldtimer I finally had my first own boat and wanted to try my skills alone. Manual downriggers still, simplest sounder, 2 stroke kicker but I felt ready. Got to the Head during flood and got in line with the fleet nose into the current. Worked my way carefully to the inside and was surprised how strong the current wanted to push me onto the rocks. The rocks only few meters to the right and a couple of boats slowly passing me on the left, my port rod started to pound and released right away. I grabbed the rod and felt a train pulling away. Now a nerve wrecking multi-tasking fight began, me keeping the boat away from the rocks - luckily had already a steering option at the back - waving boats off around me, cranking the empty rigger up, and fighting a sporty fish. I had already caught some good springs before with my teacher including a few tyees but this situation was more stressful than anything before. When I had successfully parried a couple of powerful runs the fish sulked under the boat in the strong current. Still balancing back and forth between the steering and the reel to not snag the starboard rod on bottom on the rocks and keeping a close eye on the near boats I worked the fish up to the surface. I got the first glimpse of my opponent and must say I was frightened at first. Biggest salmon I had ever seen alive - still to this day. It went down again, brought it up again - few more times. I was trying to get around the corner into the little bay west of the Head but the current was too strong and I didn't dare to crank up the kicker fully. The crew of a boat sitting a short distance away from me watched the whole thing and they were cheering me on loudly. The salmon finally was exhausted and sat for a moment still beside the boat, so I grabbed the net. It was a decent size net but not a huge hoop. Never had an issue before with 20's when I had both hands on the net and could angle it right. But when I pushed the net towards the fish with one hand I hesitated because it appeared that I would barely get the head alone into the net. What now? Again, I had to compensate my steering and look around while thinking. These 2-3 seconds were enough for the fish to catch a second wind and move off again. Not super fast or spooked but determined enough. I let the net fall on the floor and grabbed the rod again with 2 hands to get ready for OT. Good that I had 2 hands on the rod because for some reason the rod bent more and more - and why on earth would that damn reel not feed line out? I looked down and immediately realized the mess I was in; during my netting attempt the line had slacked momentarily and a line loop had jumped off the reel and wrapped around the handle. Now under maximum pressure, as the fish was going, I was unable to unwrap the line quickly enough; a second later a loud crack, the rod snaps, and as if that jerk spooked the fish, the sudden line slack tightened up fast and half a second later another loud bang as the line snapped and everything disappeared in the depth. I stood there for maybe 2 seconds before reality sank in again and I threw the short stub of the remaining rod on the floor and maneuvered the boat safely into the little bay - under sorry comments and gestures of the neighbouring boat that had watched me. My knees were shaking for at least 30 more minutes and I couldn't tell you anymore how the rest of the fishing day went. After that experience everything became a blurr. I still have PTSD symptoms when I think of that day. Back at the launch the boat that had watched me came out of the water about the same time and they pat my back and gave their condolences; when I asked them if they had seen the fish they repeated again and again "it was f... huge!", "that was well over 40#, maybe even more...". Well, it got away and all that was left for me was this memory and the hope that he was able to spit the hook and survive to spawn another huge generation for me to get another shot at such a behemoth.

Last edited:
Man I never would have thought that. I figured the game plan would be to back off when they shake. I'm no expert on the subject though. Seems like every fish I catch goes on one run then screams right back to the boat. I sometimes feel like guys have to lying when they say they have 45 minute battles, even 5 minute battles for that matter. I've never fought a fish for more than a minute or two. I've also never been sealed though...
I hear you on the 45 min battle. My old man got a 38 a few years back. Took maybe 15 mins to boat. Maybe one of those 50lb plus fish would take a while. Salmon tend to tire themselves out pretty quick.

Oh and seals suck. Hope your luck continues in that department.

Ive always found a fish thats a head shaker is hooked in the side of mouth or top a fish thats hooked right down deep will just pull no head shakes , worst ones that head shake at side of boat nothing makes me more nervous then that.
Got a funny story for you from this year , I though was a monster !!!!!thing was wild crazy even had another charter boat film it Rod went BOOM of rigger **** ton of line then sulked deep (no head shakes) fish would give a bit then take back all the while rod was straight down I said to people well this fish will have to go back ....after a bit im like whats with this fish finally after about 15 mins of battle and boat in neutral I look down and see color im a bit confused as normally never see side of fish, FINALLY it comes up I net it and throw into box guys around me are like isnt that too big I am now laughing as I was completely fooled the fish was hooked about 3 inchs back of pectoral fin hence why it fought so good whopping 16 lber white spring . Moral all fish fight different and they can fool ya.

Good luck wolf

[QUOTE="

sorry i deleted the relevant part is was replying too but...

when fishing solo i gently grab leader and give the chinook a tap on the head with the gaff ( i mean a tap, not a baseball swing -accuracy is key) then gaff it thru the gill plate and it’s good night irene. just started doing this a few years back. kinda scary at first but i think you’ll be amazed at how easy it is. just make sure fish is hooked real good

Last edited:
I learned from my grandfather who got me into fishing. One important thing he taught me and I saw that all the successful old timers did who regularly caught big fish in the day...was stop the boat once they had the other gear stowed and room to play the fish. I see guys who never stop the boat and drag their fish all over the place or in a big circle. I remember one boat doing this for 40 minutes with numerous netting attempts. I mentioned to my customer nice of the guy to give the fish a tour of the area before he kills it. I never did see if he got the fish as he got too far away. If you watch the top rods today they all stop the boat when playing a sizable fish....we only keep the boat going if it is a fish we think we can take a chance with because loosing it won't be a big deal. We weight keeping the other gear fishing because a bite is on and loosing a maybe 10-12 pound fish isn't going to be the end of the world. It is harder to land a sizable fish with the boat in gear...the net bag wants to drag back, the fish can leverage better against you...kinda like a slalom water skier digging into a turn and pulling away...building speed. Concentrate on the fish...if the fish goes up under the bow...sure backup and turn the boat to get him back out and on the side you need him on. The bonus for the rest of us is that your boat laying sideways to the flow dead in the water can be seen from the other end of the tack...and we all know you are into a fish and maybe the bite is on!!! lol

i find this very interesting. with single action reels? i have a hard enough time keeping the line tight as it is, keeping boat in gear. i’m fishing deep, like 250 plus feet deep, and i’ll often hit the gas to keep the line tight while i give my arm a chance to recover haha.
i also have lots of room it’s not too crowded where i fish so i don’t need to worry about courtesy. i usually keep it in gear till the fish is close then i kick it into neutral. i dunno. works for me.

One of my latest outings at T10 in this video this fish was a jolting head shaker in the beginning of the video, i let the line loose dropping the rod a bid and let the tip of the rod do the work you can see the flasher flopping around, i find horsing or a really tight line will **** a fish off and will do long runs, when i back off on the pressure just enough keeping good tension it relaxes and doesn't do those long surface runs..... i have videos of other people fishing on the boat with a loaded up reel
of tension and major bend in the rod and you will hear major runs and most of them after landing bent hooks.... most of the fish i land hooks are still in
perfect shape, so that tells me the pressure they have on that fish is way to much even if i have set the reel, all a number of things, late at hands off the reel etc...

took me a while to dial in netting solo, no matter what i'll always net on the hit side of the boat and gun it in forward and neutral to put the fish on the hit cleared
side, forward and neutral is now part of the fish fight and i don't care if i loose it because when your in panic mode and really need to get that fish in is when
your to early and loose it because it's not ready... was a 5 min fight to net. everyone will have there recipe it all works we just take bits of other recipes and add it

It's pretty funny sometimes you can walk a fish with light tension it's like he thinks he's not hooked, almost can control his head

Back