Transferring a Boat Title

Skins88

I'm purchasing a boat thats down in Washington. Can't find any clear info on how to transfer the title. Do I just get the title paperwork from the seller? Is there a transfer form? Is the bill of sale all I need to prove ownership and register in Canada?

There is no title to boats in Canada. A bill of sale for importation requirements (taxes) is all you need.

If it's on a trailer that's more complicated as a trailer is considered a motor vehicle and has more requirements, which the net has all the info you require.

There is no title to boats in Canada. A bill of sale for importation requirements (taxes) is all you need.

If it's on a trailer that's more complicated as a trailer is considered a motor vehicle and has more requirements, which the net has all the info you require.
Perfect. Thanks.

I'm purchasing a boat thats down in Washington. Can't find any clear info on how to transfer the title. Do I just get the title paperwork from the seller? Is there a transfer form? Is the bill of sale all I need to prove ownership and register in Canada?
Typically you are required to license a pleasure craft in Canada. In order to do that you need to prove ownership. According to Transport Canada you do that by providing :
  • name, address, and signature of previous owner;
  • name and signature of new owner;
  • description of the pleasure craft (make, model, and other details requested on the application form);
  • hull serial number (HIN) or compliance label number (if available);
  • pleasure craft licence number (if already licensed).
  • A bill of sale or a signed purchase agreement.
I would retain the U.S. title document as support for your bill of sale.

Typically you are required to license a pleasure craft in Canada. In order to do that you need to prove ownership. According to Transport Canada you do that by providing :
  • name, address, and signature of previous owner;
  • name and signature of new owner;
  • description of the pleasure craft (make, model, and other details requested on the application form);
  • hull serial number (HIN) or compliance label number (if available);
  • pleasure craft licence number (if already licensed).
  • A bill of sale or a signed purchase agreement.
I would retain the U.S. title document as support for your bill of sale.
Again. Thanks for info. I think I have it figured now.

The titles that I have obtained buying in the US had transfer of title declarations on the back side, you both just put down your info, sign and your done.

Yes do that and have bill of sale. Having the original titles in hand by the seller indicates no lie holders however to be certain I have contacted Washington State Department of Licencing to confirm ownership and no liens on the last 2 boats I bought there. Get the titles from seller.

Back