2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idiots and douchebags have been out in full force the past few days. On Friday had a bigger boat rip by right next to me through the pack at T10. I’m making a circular motion with one arm indicating that they should go around the pack. They obliviously just wave back at me. You can’t teach stupid.

When you come out of the North Arm heading for Sandheads all you see is a mass of boats miles wide. I understand keeping a safe watch is important and keeping some distance from other vessels. But if people expect boats to go miles out of the way of the pack it’s not going to happen. We all need to keep a reasonable distance but expect some vessels will transit thru known fishing areas at a safe distance at speed. Wake will occur.

When you come out of the North Arm heading for Sandheads all you see is a mass of boats miles wide. I understand keeping a safe watch is important and keeping some distance from other vessels. But if people expect boats to go miles out of the way of the pack it’s not going to happen. We all need to keep a reasonable distance but expect some vessels will transit thru known fishing areas at a safe distance at speed. Wake will occur.
Yes we all know this happens and is sometimes unavoidable at the river mouths. Most guys make their best effort to keep a reasonable distance. This was T10 though. 20' is not a reasonable distance. There weren't all that many boats, the entire pack was no more than 200 yards wide running a tack following the contour. This was a clear buzz through the center of all those boats for the entire length of their tack. I felt his spray. Going around would have delayed him by seconds. If you were there and you saw it you'd know it was an intentional dickhead move.

EA34877A-39CF-48B2-B2F9-B5348B97642E.jpeg
We pulled the dad and 2 kids out of their boat. Another Grady took 2 people off our boat as we were at 9 passengers and were a bit loaded down. They were fine, just bruised ego. He tried to plow through the freighter wave at full tilt since he saw me go through without issue. It didnt work out so well.

Did he basically get swamped and water flooded the engine before his bilge could keep up? When we got there it was quite submerged.

View attachment 56749

Did he basically get swamped and water flooded the engine before his bilge could keep up? When we got there it was quite submerged.
Swamped his boat and the bilge did not seem to be working as I didn't see any water pumping out, battery might have been under. We were to his boat in about 2 minutes. The stern was about 6 inches above water line. Told them to bail because they were just standing around dazed. Since they didn't have anything to bail with I gave them 2 bucket buckets but they just stood there in shock and it went under. Was nice that a few other boaters stopped and offered assistance but kept their distance so they didn't add to the confusion. Looking back it's nice to know there are a few of us ready to take care of each other out there.
Back out this afternoon, hope to have something to report!

Nothing for me. One hit on a spoon at 50-60’. That’s it. Seen a couple of boats with fish. All about right place at right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back