2020 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi gang, heading out of Nootka next week for Tuna. Dusted off my gear and have a question.

What’s your choice? Barbed or barbless?

Also have a swivel on the hook or crimp direct for trolling Zulets?

I’ll try and add a picture.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

I like the swivel because it puts the hook a bit further back and I since I often like to 'take a wrap' around my hand with the leader and hoist the fish in that way less bloody mess and if he twists a bunch it doesn't make that much of a difference.

Hi gang, heading out of Nootka next week for Tuna. Dusted off my gear and have a question.

What’s your choice? Barbed or barbless?

Also have a swivel on the hook or crimp direct for trolling Zulets?

I’ll try and add a picture.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Hey Coddie,
We fished barbless doubles with the swivel (exactly like your setup in the top of the photo) last year and it worked great. I don't think we really lost many if any from what I remember. Good luck, hopefully we will be running out of Ukee next week if the weather cooperates.

I also go barbless with a swivel as well ... has worked very well and I figure it’s safer. I know I can pull a barbless out of me easily enough but a buried barbed hook in a leg or arm 60 miles offshore isn’t going to be fun. Plus it’s a lot easier to get the tuna unhooked on the deck. That said, I’m also using rapala plugs at times and they are barbed. Always trying to be extra careful when those are out.

We are looking for a buddy boat to run out of Ukee or possibly Bamfield any good weather window from Saturday September 12th through to Saturday September 19th. Of those days we are hoping we can find two days that allow us to get out to the blue. We were going to do the Bamfield derby but have decided that for two guys on a small boat with limited ability to store fish it just doesn't make sense. Maybe one day we will have a derby worthy boat :) If these dates work for anyone shoot me a pm.

Brian

Beaten to death I’m sure. But favourite sites, apps, etc for monitoring the weather out there?

We are looking for a buddy boat to run out of Ukee or possibly Bamfield any good weather window from Saturday September 12th through to Saturday September 19th. Of those days we are hoping we can find two days that allow us to get out to the blue. We were going to do the Bamfield derby but have decided that for two guys on a small boat with limited ability to store fish it just doesn't make sense. Maybe one day we will have a derby worthy boat :) If these dates work for anyone shoot me a pm.

we have had buddy boats in the past tag along but it does not bode well with the tuna organizers and competitors.. in my honest nature i would say come out with the fleet but like mentioned it would be frowned upon. buy a ticket! its not about the number of tuners, but SIZE! 2 years ago i came in with 2 fish and won my money back.

We hit Barkley on Saturday with a number of other boats, perfect sea conditions and water looked good. Tons of birds. Saw sauries popping a few times.

No fish all day long for anyone in our small fleet.

Heard of marginally better results from up off Tofino, but nothing to get excited about.

Hopefully just in between waves of fish and the main bulk of the run hasn't already passed up to the north island where it continues to be a slay fest from what I hear.

Thanks @trophywife . Thanks for the suggestion but we wouldnt just tag along if we weren't in the derby. That being said the odds that we will end up in the same relatively large area is pretty good.

Brian

That is interesting, too bad it slowed down there. So Saturday was not that great eh. 20 tuna is kinda the entry fee on an offshore trip nice when you can get 40-60 fish in a day. Too much work to only get a handful, tuna days back to back are hard. hopefully the fish push back in. From the latest shots it looks like the real nice blue water is ~60 miles off kains.....

I ran 50 miles off Kains this morning. 57 degrees and green water. Went south to about Brooks, water got colder, 55.

We were part of a 4 bots flotilla that went out of Ukee on Saturday. We fished most of Loudoun and up into Clayoquot. Meet another boat up there. Of these 5 boats catches ranged from 0-2 fish.... total of 5..... Conditions were great with clear water and good temps.

Hope things pick up to tempt us to go for another trip.

Anyone know the best place place to fill the boat on it’s trailer with ice around Port Alberni or as far as Parksville?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back