2020 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping to head out next week, and have been watching SST's off Esperanza and WH. Good for you Adrian, glad you had such a memorable experience. Yesterday's SST's don't show a temp break at 80 miles offshore of Esperanza, and that's further out than I would like to go, but I guess we'll just have to cover as much water as possible if we go to Esperanza. If we head to WH, I'll have to hit up Myles and the crew of the new Bad Habit for some intel. Really hoping for calm winds and seas next week. Best of luck fellas.

I am hoping to head out next week, and have been watching SST's off Esperanza and WH. Good for you Adrian, glad you had such a memorable experience. Yesterday's SST's don't show a temp break at 80 miles offshore of Esperanza, and that's further out than I would like to go, but I guess we'll just have to cover as much water as possible if we go to Esperanza. If we head to WH, I'll have to hit up Myles and the crew of the new Bad Habit for some intel. Really hoping for calm winds and seas next week. Best of luck fellas.

How the SST looks for WH?

Planning my first ever tuna trip out of Bamfield around September 10th. Anyone planning on heading out around that time?
The Bamfield Tuna Shootout starts on the 11th, there will be much activity at that time...perhaps check with Mills Landing.

Sooooooo, the boys went out of WH today and loaded!! Oli boated 66 tuna, 30 miles off the light. The water is close in, and full of tuna!

Loudoun seemed like fishy water on Thursday, but we only had a couple singles and a double in the morning. Fished a short while that evening and caught three in short order as the sun went down. 6 of the 7 fish came in on diver boards so maybe I should have broken out some rapalas but we didn't have much ice anyway. Fish were 15-20# with one nice grade just shy of 30#. Stomach contents were a mix of 6" squid, 4" lanternfish, krill, and ~4" digested something that looked slender and beaked, like saury.

Lost two clones on the diver board from, I guess, fish hitting them hard? It was set up with two bungees for shock absorption. The first one I didn't see happen and assumed it was weeds or a weakened knot from pulling fish out of the water (150# test). But I saw the second one happen and it seemed to abrupt for weeds (and weeds usually get caught on the diver board and not the clone) but that one was only 80# test. So, I dunno, it's just a fish story I guess.

Also, not sure what they were but travelling along in the dark a school of something small and glowing jumped out of the water as we ran by them. Little arcs of light as they cleared the water in all directions. Lanternfish maybe? Squid? It wasn't just phosphorescence.

nice grade!! bought my ticket for the bam tuna shoot out.

We are looking a potentially doing a run out of Bamfield on Saturday or Sunday, likely leaving late evening the day before and putting out offshore overnight. If anyone is going to be around and is considering going out feel free to shoot me a PM to discuss details/locations/share info.

Way to go! Cherry poppin! So cool to hear!! We are on our way to Campbell River today, and will be in WH before noon tomorrow. Looking like an afternoon shot if anyone is interested. Let’s do this!
Be sure to post if you get out. I'm still on the fence about next week. Waiting on some good derby intel! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back