2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time at the waterfront in a couple of months. Fished from 6:30am to around 10am. Only one hit and I got that one to the boat only to find out that it was a nice fat 85cm. Off of the green can area, 70ft on the DR in 90ft. Cop car spool with purple haze flasher. Saw a couple of guys get one but didn't appear to be a while lot of action.

Tried an late afternoon troll out of Esquimalt yesterday for the first time. 4-630pm. It was looking great, flat calm and had a fish on 200m from the launch. I was thinking I should do this more often. I didn't even have the net out yet. A small nook which I let go along side. Green and glow skinny G on a multi colored guide series flasher (I think its called). I saw one nice fish netted out front of Saxes Pt (6-8lbs ?). The wind came up and it got bumpy and never had another bite. Very high tide when I can back in. Work is getting in the way of fishing :)

Tried flats last night and the gap no love just lumpy water, no clue where that came from but breezy and 3 to 4 foot chop spaced tight made for a fun troll, tonight tried 10 mile up to johnstone reef marked some bait not alot, got a whale show and beautiful water cant complain too much.

well we tried brodie on the flats this morning around 11 for a bit (no hits) then moved downtown for noon flag pole no action, first pass on the break wall nailed one only to loose it just behind the boat :( only action we saw all day. Beauty water again and nice weather, good way to kill the day and it beats watching netflix. Kids had fun yet again. Tomorrow I'll try either constance or the waterfront. At least I got to play one and see it :)

Was out this morning from 7-11 working the waterfront. Not as busy as last Sunday with boats but there seemed to be a tad more action. Maybe I was just closer to it this time. First pass off Macaulay and the boat beside me hooked up. Got out of his way and headed out to deeper water to get out of the pack. Buddies rod went off! This was a big one. Way over slot. My buddy has only ever caught one 5# salmon so needless to say, he was excited. In his excitement he horsed the fish a little too much at the side of the boat annnnnd *SNAP*. Line broke just above the teaser. Bye bye my favorite teaser head. :eek::(

Not sure who was more sad, my buddy loosing the fish or me loosing my favorite t.h. :oops:

After we regrouped we headed to the breakwater for a pass. 2 boats in front of me. As we past the lighthouse heading for the can, one went left, one right. I went straight. I was just telling my buddy, watch the boat on the right, I’ve hooked up there before. Boom, fish on for boat # right! Looked to be a nice keeper. Saw a couple more nets after that then things went quiet. Then the fog rolled in and so did we.

Pretty slow off the harbor and green can this morning....
at least 50 boats fishing, never saw anything landed.
I lost one near the boat.

Well I had one long line release, released a 5 pounder and had my anchovy raked two more time’s. So... another long story for getting skunked. Lol
I saw one netted that was about 8 or 10 pounds.
Lotsa long faces at the dock after where most were reporting not even getting a bite. It’s a slog out there.

Went out this am before the sun was up, I was able to get about 8-10 lber to the boat just after tide change, right out front of MacAulay, unfortunately I tried rushing the fish into the net, the net caught the hook and took the hook out of the fishes mouth, bye bye fish. 58’ anchovy teaser head. Fished all over the place went out to Brotchie, but the tide was really ripping out there and I didn’t see any bait, so I headed back to the breakwater, where I managed to pick up a small chinook on the trailer hook, bloody nose, 45’ which was at about 1:00. Headed back towards Green can and MacAulay, which off to the left of Sax, the whale watching boats showed up, as did the whales they were following. Decided that would be it for fishing today.

1 keeper .

forgot to mention, when I got back to the dock, I got out to tie up my boat, and an otter jumped in the back of the boat. Luckily for me, I had no fish in the boat.....

photo of friends in the boat at sunrise

Attachments

• 67C2FC50-FEB6-4593-B6DC-21AC738829FF.jpeg
    67C2FC50-FEB6-4593-B6DC-21AC738829FF.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Tried the late shift today off waterfront from noon - 4. Didn't expect much as boats returning to ramp from morning were empty handed. No action until whales showed up around 2:00. Told my buddy I always get a fish when whales pass by and sure enough as the whales were passing the harbour mouth we got our first fish near the bend in the breakwater, a listless 8lber but keeper. Said that we should quit while we're ahead because past experiences dictate it would shut down and we wouldn't get another bite. My theory proved wrong because around 3:30 we got a feisty 15lb hatchery in front of the boat ramp at Fleming. Both fish on green/white Skinny G, which has been my go to lure catching 4 chinook in 3 trips this week, while bait has produced nothing.

Attachments

• Fish Aug 30 2020.jpg
    Fish Aug 30 2020.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 124
6:30 to 11:30 on waterfront this morning, got 1 hit near Brotchie at 100ft on rigger. Tried all depths, bait, spoons, no love. Saw one guy play a fish but did not see him use a net.

I think you are seeing the results of the Esquimalt Harbour net pen release which is no longer. It was ended a handful of years ago by DFO. I believe the concern was that they were using Nitnat fish and the proximity of these fish to the Cowichan River. Ridiculous, but I believe that was the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back